Fuel consumption?

Hey there,

Recently got a 2021 Octavia - all going well but in the past week or so it feels like the fuel has been running down at a faster-than-usual rate.

I checked the fuel consumption and it’s telling me I’m getting 9.2l/100km (30.7mpg) at the moment.

Trying to figure out if that’s what I should expect or is it higher than it should be?

It’s certainly higher than what’s advertised but I know those figures have little basis in reality.

Most of my driving since I got the car has been city rather than motorway, which I know can have an impact too.

They’re the figures I’m referring to - I’ve searched around to see if there were any real world figures from reviews or even users here but haven’t found anything 

6 hours ago, mccririck said:

What engine is it?

Sorry, that might have been an important thing to include.

it’s a 1 litre petrol.

I don’t have anything in the boot in terms of extra weight - and generally try to stick to the gear suggestions etc etc

7 hours ago, Stonekeeper said:

Thanks! Seems I’m a fair bit off the average, though it’s a small sample there

Are you driving short or long distances?

Unfortunately those new petrol engines have a catalytic converter pre-heating program, which means it "floods" engine with fuel at the beginning, trying to heat it up more quickly.

I have 1.5 TSI. On short trips (like 3km) consumption can be even higher than 10l/100km. On the longer runs it start dropping to reach numbers close to advertised figures.

It's also quite sensitive to external temperatures, which i guess are impacting that pre-heating program. Petrol engines were always sensitive to temps, but not like they are now. On the same route, with similar traffic but different expternal temps, it can vary from 9l in low temps to 6,5 in higher temps.

Older TSI engines were better on short distances. I had 1.4 TSI 122BHP (EA211) and it was much better on short distances, but also in ilde (0.4l/h in 1.4 vs 0.7-0.8l/h in 1.5 in the same conditions like external temps, AC switched off etc.).

But on longer distances (>10km) it's better than older engines. Once i was able to get 6.2l/100km when driving 300 highway at 140km/h all the time. In 1.4 TSI Leon i never got below 6.9 on the same road and same speed.

I leave my display showing distance to empty.

Using mainly round town it consistently says between 410m and 425m when i fill up.

if i then go on a long journey i have the joy of watching the figure rise as i get further away from home.

When we go to Devon by the time we have got to the M5 south of Birmingham i have done 100m and it says distance to empty 500m

Work the mpg out by checking mileage and fuel used with a calculator.

What I found disconcerting was the fine graduations on the fuel guage.  It means you can see the needle moving a lot easier.  Very disconcerting!

It can be tricky coming to grips with a new car's consumption and as @Felix2021 has pointed out the extra emission devices fitted to newer models can have a marked negative effect under certain driving conditions.

I rented a small 1.0 litre Corsa on a UK visit a couple of years back and was delighted to get up to 60+mpg (4.5L/100km) on a tank on our longer trips but when I eventually navigated through the  complicated infotainment I was amazed to see the long-term average over the last 7000 miles was only 22mpg (13L/100km), which included our 2000 odd miles averaging in the high 50s! I have no idea what they previous renters were doing in it?

What sort of urban distances are you travelling? Average speeds? Is it a manual or auto? what distance is on the odometer? When was it last serviced? Are air filter or spark plugs replacement due?

What was your previous Octavia and what sort of consumption in similar conditions did you get? Just to get some idea of how economically you drive (lead or feather foot)

Have you attempted a longer journey of say 50 km? This could be good for a couple of reasons; to really burn out the contents of the PPF and also to see what your consumption for that journey is like and maybe better assess whether there are any 'mechanical issues' or the consumption is related purely to the types of trips the vehicle is subjected to.

And as @Rooted implied I believe that Ireland has had inclemently cold weather recently which would also be a major negative consumption factor.