So Scala owners, what do you think to your car ?

Mr Grump

I would be interested in hearing both the good and bad you are finding, also if you could tell me what engine/gearbox and trim level do  you have ?

I am looking for a car for the other half,(ex demo or used less than a year old) and we have narrowed it down to 2, the Scala being one of those. I think the bells and whistles are a bit thin on this car so will be after a monte Carlo, (although I would prefer the smaller wheels and softer suspension of the SE and SE-L!). I also dont tend to like 3 cyl enignes and it does not appear to offer significantly better MPG so we are looking for a 1.5. I originally wanted the DSG for when I drive it, but having discovered it has no electronic handbrake (therefore no auto hold) I think we will plump for a manual.

So, please, let us know how you are finding the car 😉

Edited by Mr Grump

I have a 2022 1.5 SEL DSG. It's the best car I have ever owned - comfortable, powerful, nice-looking, roomy, nice to drive and safe. My own observations and to answer your points:

• I chose the 1.5 for comfortable cruising and towing - I know the 1.0 has the spec on paper, but I wanted 4 cylinders and the flexibility of more power.
  • The DSG does have auto hold which operates on hills, and it works well. My previous car had an electronic handbrake, and returning to a 'proper' one has not been an issue.
  • I sometimes have to force stop/start to operate by holding on the footbrake and shifting to neutral. Not ideal dazzling the car behind, but it works for me. Coming off the footbrake and using the handbrake whilst in drive allows creep. 
  • The behaviour of the DSG going downhill isn't ideal; it tends to select a far lower gear (with associated engine noise) than I would choose myself. So I change it manually going down steep hills, but otherwise I let the DSG make all the decisions. 
  • Economy is excellent - I have managed 50mpg towing a 400kg trailer tent, and I can achieve 60mpg on a light-footed motorway run with the wind behind me. My average MPG (calculated properly) is 46.5 (6.07 l/100km) which includes around town. It's always above 50mpg on a run. 
  • I chose the SEL for comfort and gadgets - no climate control as standard on the Monte Carlo when I purchased, and I really like the digital dash. And in 2022 there were still supply issues, so I had to take what was available rather than waiting 9+ months for a factory order - because I am inpatient. 
  • Back to digital dash - I cannot stress enough the benefit of the satnav screen/map in the driver's direct line of vision. The Skoda satnav is OK, although not as user-friendly as Google maps. The car can cope with Google maps perfectly well, but it displays on the centre screen rather than in the dash. 
  • Switching from cruise to speed limiter is a bit of a faff, and could be simpler. 
  • Lane control is very annoying, particularly on narrow country roads where it sometimes steers you into the edge. It can be disabled in car settings. I have an OBD scanner, and there is an app within which saves last the setting on lane control. Otherwise you have to disable it every time you restart the engine. 
  • Don't be put off by keyless entry/starting and the risk of theft - a faraday pouch (around £5) removes that risk. 
  • Like 1

Hi Mike, Thanks for the reply.

I wasn't aware of the auto hold still being there, so thanks for that.

Yes the DSG has its foibles, but I love the system, I had it on the last 2 Skoda's and the last SEAT I owned.

I was hoping to see 50 mpg on the trip computer, and its reassuringly likely from your report that I might :) 

I still think as the monte Carlo is the top spec, it is missing some gadgets, but in reality its got at least the essentials.

Lane control is something that I don't like too, I do have OBD11 so although I haven't used it for a while, I think I might have enough credit to at least make that default to off !

Not sure If the MC has cruise TBH ? I know my wife won't use it but I may when we go on hols, my last cars have had adaptive so I will feel a little shortchanged either way 😄

Likewise I am used to Kessy, This Keyless is entry only, still needs the key in ignition (another odd half way house decision from the accountants dept. no doubt).

But That pano roof is just so nice to have, I can forgive the other (my perceived) shortcomings in spec.

The upshot is we test drove a 1.5 DSG a couple of days ago, and we liked it, but it was stretching our budget, so after we decided to go for a manual I returned today to take one out for a spin. Oddly the car felt to ride a little better than the DSG (no reason it should, same spec wheels, tyres and suspension).

But I found the gearbox positive and smooth, the clutch plenty light enough for the other half.

So we should be picking our Scala Monte Carlo Manual at the end of the week as long as we can get our ducks in a row (for once, if there is to be a hold up it will be our end 😚).

I have the 1.5 manual SE trim on 16 inch wheels. I find the gearbox is a delight, almost one finger operation and the car is smooth, easy to drive (very quick if you want it to be), comfortable and easy to maneuver into tight spaces etc. I am not into bells and whistles hence the SE spec and I use an iPhone and google maps. Niggles - well the front seat doesn't fully recline which makes getting long stuff into the car a bit of a pain and that's about it. Oh the engine is so quiet and smooth its is very easy to find oneself at 10 mph going around a tight roundabout etc. in 5th or 6th gear..... needless to say the engine coughs and stalls when you put the accelerator down to speed up. As long as the engine revs remain above 1500 in the higher gears  its absolutely fine. 

Ride can be a bit bumpy and noisy depending on the surface but the 16 inch wheels are definitely a softer ride than the alternatives - I found the Monte Carlo version which I drove as a test drive quite harsh at times.

John

• Like 1

I owned a Scala 1.0tsi se dsg for a short period of time. I've also owned two mk3 Octavia 1.5tsi dsg's inc my current wagon. 

The 1.0tsi engine is fast enough for the Scala & is very good on fuel, I was averaging upper 40's for the duration of ownership, although I think the manual transmission would be a better match with the 1.0tsi engine than the dsg. I just found the dsg not as initially responsive from a standing take off, compared with the 1.5tsi engine, not as smooth when taking off from a standing start. Other than that, I liked the 1.0tsi engine. If I were to buy a manual scala I'd go with the 1.0tsi engine, better on fuel, felt just as nippy as the 1.5tsi. 

I had the 16's which I wanted for comfort. I'd advise you to test drive both engines first. 

The biggest annoyance for me was the gdpr warning info on the dash screen which you have to constantly turn off during every ignition cycle. May not bother most, though. Also lane assist, again turned it off during every ignition cycle, as well as brake assist or whatever vag call it. That also applies to other newer vag cars now. Unwanted tech nonsense, fortunately I don't have that with my current Octavia, anything newer would probably have it though.

I averaged 48mpg for the duration of ownership with my 1.0tsi dsg, well over 50 on long runs. Although I consider myself to be a frugal driver, I'm averaging mid 40's now with the 1.5tsi dsg Octavia. 50 ish on a longer run & it's an estate. 

I also use waze on both head units, even if I had a built in nav I wouldn't use it. I also had analogue clocks with the se spec, wasn't bothered about digital clocks. I also didn't have or want keyless entry. 

The Scala for it's size is a good compromise, has decent rear leg space, although I found the drivers seating position a little cramped, compared to the Octavia, especially for my drivers rest left leg room (dsg), as it seemed to have a slightly offset seating position, that's just my perception, though. 

I did like the led dipped beam head lights, very practical on the se spec, I've never had an issue with high beam halogen headlights before. 

Edited by Phoenixboy

cheap car way better than any dacia

has enough of everything that everybody need, and it should be the most people get from the car because other things in car are or useless or just giving some looks and subjective feel of no nedded comfor

if choosen wiseley scala wont cost too much nad will serve some time

vibrations, infotainment glitches and consumption for 1.0, and sound dampening its not so good but

now while it is redisigned it lost the front looks that it had and looks like nothing special

if comparedt (regardin size and capabilities) with golf.....golf is way much better car that costs (where I live ) around 25% more than scala

it is funny how I dont find suspension good like on others skodas, but it is comfortable whicj I couldnt say for other skodas

I cannot find why people buy more Kamiqs then Scalas, because Scala beats Kamiq in every aspect.....Kamiq is smaller inside and in boot, it looks awfull and it is more expensier than Scala

dacia compared to skoda is rubbish, cheap car with smelly interior (always smell of plastics and glue in the sun)

skoda scala is ok car with ok price

dacia is ****ty car too exoensive for what you get

tried different dacia models and they are not even close to skoda

I am not a fan of newer skoda models, but dacia (I frove sandero/duster/jogger) and skoda are not comparble

the thing that I made comparisson betwen scala and dacia (all models) is because scala as rapis previously was, is a budget model, most value for money model

I drove rapid - it is a good car to me

Scala is better, but it is compared to new fabia cheap model, budget model - not in sense of quality build, or materials used, but ina sense of design and what it is supposed to be

Scala is supposed to be on a platform of polo battling with golf or other models like golf

And it does it in a ok way - it is not narrow as rapid which was narrow as fabia, but dimensions are similar or better than golf.....but the materials in golf are better, suspension in golf is more mature etc.

Value for money = scala

dacia cannot be any value

to be precise i was driving all fabia models, rapid, scala, kamiq, and all golf models except golf mark1

scala give a lot to the user because it is bigger than fabia, it is more cheaper and slight bigger than kamiq, it is spacious inside as golf or slightly more with bigger boot and if configured well with 1.0 tsi (wich vibrates) it can cost 21-22 tEUR

same engine, same equipment golf 8 is around 26-27 tEUR

and dacia jogger (not hybrid) in my country would be around 21 tEUR

when driving jogger i feel like i am in the privious century - narrow as sandero, 2. seat row higher so you watch in front of self in a roof, with not so many leg space in 2. row, smell of plastics/glue, stickers on the cars side and not bumpers etc.

I drpove duster 1.5 dci 4x4 2 weeks ago - rubbish, boring, like tractor

too be more objective I mus say that not many cars can give me smile on my face because I often dont find in them why are they so expensive

and being previous motorcycle rider - speed, acceleration and cornering is not what I look for when driving "civilian" cars....the car rarely takes my attention while few years back I did the same streets at 2x or even 4x of speed that I drive with my car. Wanting to stay alive nowadays I drive........only Scala

Edited by medley
  • Like 1

We picked up the Scala a week ago, a 1.5TSi Manual Monte Carlo. We are pleased with the car so far,

Being an early '23 model it has no Kessy, and although quite sparse in terms of bells and whistles (given I have had the benefit of a lot of the vag bells and whistle on my last few cars), it has most of what we wanted.

Although the ride is decent for most of the time, I do intend to downsize the wheels to some 16" when I can, to be more compliant on the crumbling and pothole strewn roads locally ! This was something I had considered before purchase, and felt it worth it as we intend to keep the car for some time, But that's another topic to post 😊

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mr Grump said:

We picked up the Scala a week ago, a 1.5TSi Manual Monte Carlo. We are pleased with the car so far,

Being an early '23 model it has no Kessy, and although quite sparse in terms of bells and whistles (given I have had the benefit of a lot of the vag bells and whistle on my last few cars), it has most of what we wanted.

Although the ride is decent for most of the time, I do intend to downsize the wheels to some 16" when I can, to be more compliant on the crumbling and pothole strewn roads locally ! This was something I had considered before purchase, and felt it worth it as we intend to keep the car for some time, But that's another topic to post 😊

Enjoy it!

I have had my Scala for over 4 years now (I have previously owned 5 other Skoda Cars this is the best yet). Apart from a few glitches with the infotainment system (sorted with a firmware update) the car has been faultless now covering 42k Miles. I plumped for the SEL 1ltr DSG with a few extras as this was going to be a keeper. I went for heated front screen, electric  front seats, electric tail lift, and best of all adaptive cruise control. The adaptive cruise is fantastic on motorways set it at the regulation 70 mph and the car gets you easily to 60 mpg fuel consumption. The car has never needed an oil top-up between services. I managed 25k out of my first set of tyres, the car was greatly improved with the all seasons now on it  an they look good for another 10k. I have extended Skoda 5 year warranty with 8 months left on it , I had it valued recently for a part exchange  it came out at £10.5k, the same car today with my spec is well over 26k now I think I will keep this one thank you.

Never use the built in satnav it is pants compared to Waze on apple car play. A big bill soon as I have been told it needs a timing belt changed at 5 years or 50k miles).  All in all from my experience this is a very good car for our needs shame the price of insurance has gone through the roof, down to the costly repair bills for electric vehicles I have been told.  Just one niggle cant permanently turn off the stop start or can that now be done by OBD please advise. 

@Yetiherts   Was it recently you were told about the cam belt & 5 years / 50,000 miles? 

Do not believe everything you hear about EV insurance.  Try a quote yourself on an EV, they can cost the same or less on ICE vehicles of the same value and a lot less power. 

Skoda / VW advice on the cam belt changed.  Up to you what you think or do. 

Screenshot 2024-03-29 10.26.30.png

Screenshot 2024-03-29 10.26.49.png

Cam Belt Guidance change.pdf

Edited by Rooted

On 21/03/2024 at 08:21, medley said:

I cannot find why people buy more Kamiqs then Scalas, because Scala beats Kamiq in every aspect.....Kamiq is smaller inside and in boot, it looks awfull and it is more expensier than Scala

Trend - Currently SUV attracts buyers like a flame attracts moths.

From afar I'm eyeing up the Scala possibly a year old one, problem is my ageing Superb II is still too good to part with.   

I'm slightly concerned re major infotainment & SOS bugs as reported on this forum though, I might wait until the 2024 model has settled as the SE then has climate control with buttons and I prefer the look of the interior upholstery. The 1.0 will also be available as 116ps.

Edited by bigjohn

After trawling the net apparently VW have put out to all their dealers that the interval for changing the timing belt on the 1ltr engines  has now been changed to 150k miles. This also applies also to all Skoda and Seat cars good news for a change. 

• Confused 1

The VW TPI is posted by me a few posts up.      It clearly says 180,000 miles. 

I do wish people would not say this applies to all Engines as in MPI, TSI & TDI,s.     It might do but check.

The important thing was it does apply to 1.0 TSI and 1.5 TSI ACT,s which are in the region of £1,000 at Main Dealers to have done.

£920 at Henrys Glasgow as posted by a member this week.   That is Cam Belt and tensioners not including a water pump as not required when it is the Cam Belt being replaced. 

VW Says 'All Engines'  So does that mean as far back as it goes for engines fitted with a Cam Belt',  maybe 15 year old ones?

Might be as long as 15 years for the 180,000 miles. 

Might be as long as 6 years for those that have failures of the tensioner while the belt has not broken.

eg.  Members who have had 1.6 TDI,s that failed, killed the engine. 

Screenshot2024-03-2910_26_30.webp

Edited by Rooted

On 1.5 tsi they changed me cam belt within 15.000 km because of suspected fault of something else.....which in the end wasnt faulty....after that i have sold the car because knowing what it takes to change cam belt on this engine and knowing they are not so skilled to do it on 1.5 act engine because in my country people mostly drive diesels....i didnt find/feel my car reliable....sold it right away after the change....

Edited by medley
  • Thanks 1

The change announced in the UK was because the UK was showing differently from other European / EU dust free countries.

@ 5 years / 50,000 miles.

Then there was the Issue. Lack of experienced staff, or any staff.   

So Non trained Techs / fitters without all the Gear.  The timing equipment, and not a clue.

Then the quotes from £550 which was wrong to the £750-£1,200 which is someplace in the right for 6 hours labour and parts. 

575794279_Screenshot2023-03-1822_35_35.jpg.f1eafd544592c6770c8a17f54f93155c.jpg

Edited by Rooted

I know. Special tools and special long procedure.

In my country not so skilled because there is not many 1.5 tsi....

I am satisfied with 1.0 tsi except some vibrations felt on clutch pedal when changing gears.

And Scala gives me enough comfort, Tiguan was not needed at all as far as regards my need for car

& VW, Audi, SEAT & Skoda Main Dealers in the UK with 5 year old + 1.5 TSI or 1.5 TSI ACT cars 'Approved Cars' with FMDSH and yet the Guidelines, Recommendations, Advice or Schedule not followed on Cam Belt Changes.

Years of VW Group taking the pith had to end.    Vorsprung Durch Technik.    Fool some of the people some of the time.