Potential Purchases, Questions?

MickA

Looked at one Kamiq and another to be viewed next week. Both SE L one auto the other manual 70 plates. They've both had the first MOTs last year with advisories for tyre and brake wear.

Are these models heavy on front brake and tyre wear,  both cars covered approx 18k miles at first MOT?

Judging on my current car (from new) original front brake discs/pads @36k miles, MOT passed last week, all good.

Tyres I'd expect more than 18k miles from a pair but I suppose it depends on previous drivers driving habits re wear brakes and tyres.

What tyres were fitted around 2020 delivery year to the Kamiq, one car has Hankooks on the rear and the fronts looking like some cheapo replacements?

Comments/observations welcome.👍

Edited by MickA

Hanhooks not originals.  My Skoda SEL, 20 plates, and now 23,000+ miles I'm pretty sure has Good Years, three still originals and one a  replacement after clouting a kerb to avoid an HGV which decidedto drive on my side of the road.  Just had a service and only comments are on rear disks described as "lipped and corroding" and suggested to me to have them replaced in next 12 months.  However, corrosion is only surface and probably due to seaside air and wet summer and winter.

I'll check on the tyres and let you know make tomorrow, Monday.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MickA said:

Looked at one Kamiq and another to be viewed next week. Both SE L one auto the other manual 70 plates. They've both had the first MOTs last year with advisories for tyre and brake wear.

Are these models heavy on front brake and tyre wear,  both cars covered approx 18k miles at first MOT?

Judging on my current car (from new) original front brake discs/pads @36k miles, MOT passed last week, all good.

Tyres I'd expect more than 18k miles from a pair but I suppose it depends on previous drivers driving habits re wear brakes and tyres.

What tyres were fitted around 2020 delivery year to the Kamiq, one car has Hankooks on the rear and the fronts looking like some cheapo replacements?

Comments/observations welcome.👍

By all accounts the OEM rear discs are made of chocolate and replacements from reputable brands make a big difference. I've not heard of the front brake/front tyre thing but on my VW California I got about 16k on the front from new and again, switching brand has seen over 30k miles on the 2nd set so its not necessarily a relationship between the two thing due heavy front braking bias that I know of.

• Like 1

I’m on my second Kamiq Monte Carlo (first a 21 plate, current a new 73 plate) and both came with Good Year Eagle F1’s.

On my 21 plate I’d covered 17k and all tyres were good, with around 5mm tread left.

As for the brake discs, I never had an issue on the 21 plate, and it’s far too early to tell on the 73 plate although I don’t anticipate any issues.

• Like 1

I've noticed that a good few I've seen (in pictures at dealers) did come with Good Years. They seem to get changed (fronts) on some as early as 20k miles, well from what I noticed.

Anyways from comments I can expect to see not so good condition brake discs, that made me wonder on the one I saw yesterday. On approx 19k miles it looked like it had brand new discs pad on the rear and very badly lipped front discs and 3 brands of tyres on.

I always examine the wheels/tyres/brake wear first so to get an overall picture of how the cars fared in it's early life. Seen some shockers yesterday, not Kamiqs, looking at other makes/models too of course.

Tyres are Good Year F1s.  Tyre tread at 23,000 miles, according to the garage at service are right front 4.3mm,  and rears 5.3mm and 5.8mm.  I've excluded left front as that is a new tyre following a puncture.

• Like 1

On 18/03/2024 at 09:53, Seasider said:

Tyres are Good Year F1s.  Tyre tread at 23,000 miles, according to the garage at service are right front 4.3mm,  and rears 5.3mm and 5.8mm.  I've excluded left front as that is a new tyre following a puncture.

That sounds better, how I would expect tyres to wear/last.

I ditched a set of Bridgestones on my Toledo around 4 years, fitted from new. They were awful anyway after a couple of years, noisy harsh ride but still had decent tread depth left but started cracking around the edge of the tread, MOT advisory.

Can recommend Kumho as replacements, have them on both my cars and a previous one.

Id wonder what the condition of the rest of the car was if they had thrown odd tyres at it , ? Part worn from a scrapper 

Why do you think it has had odd tyres thrown at it or even part worn ones?

One pair of tyres is likely to have been replaced following the MOT advisory and another may have been replaced at any time due to an irrepairable  puncture or tyre damage.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, J.R. said:

Why do you think it has had odd tyres thrown at it or even part worn ones?

One pair of tyres is likely to have been replaced following the MOT advisory and another may have been replaced at any time due to an irrepairable  puncture or tyre damage.

On that particular car I mentioned with 3 different brands on, two Hankooks on the rear. The fronts, two different brands (can't remember what but not anything I've heard of) but I noticed one had recently had the tyre removed/changed as it had telltale remnants of that tyre fitting paste. So more likely a replacement due to puncture/damage.

• Like 1

The 18 inch wheels on Kamiq (and T-cross and Arona etc) are quite an unusual and expensive tyre size 215/45 R18

Will get 30k+ miles out of them, but only if you switch them around about every 10-12k miles.  The front left seems to wear a lot faster (roundabouts), the rear right is long lasting.

To be perfectly honest, just budget for a set of good all season tyres (Continental all season contact, Michelin cross climate 2, Vredestein Quatrac pro+) are main choices in that size, and forget whatever is already there.  The factory tyres don't suit UK climate very well.

Brake discs tend to look rubbish with surface rust but unless discs have grooves or pads heavily worn should last to nearer 35-50k miles (but mileage is not good indicator of brake use, live in a city or in hilly area then brakes will get used lot more than open road).  Replacement discs and pads are usually better quality.

If you get DSG then gearbox is also covered under warranty (unlike manual clutches), and the All in One 2 year warranty, servicing, breakdown, MOTs is currently 20% off until 2 April so can have peace of mind for not much more than cost of servicing.

Remember advisories are just a subjective opinion of an individual, people get them, sometimes take no action and following year don't get one on same item.  Treat them as something to allow replacement to be done within your budget, even if it is year away.   Don't get too hung up on it, but do your own visual inspection.

Edited by SurreyJohn
  • Like 2

On 20/03/2024 at 22:39, SurreyJohn said:

The 18 inch wheels on Kamiq (and T-cross and Arona etc) are quite an unusual and expensive tyre size 215/45 R18

Will get 30k+ miles out of them, but only if you switch them around about every 10-12k miles.  The front left seems to wear a lot faster (roundabouts), the rear right is long lasting.

To be perfectly honest, just budget for a set of good all season tyres (Continental all season contact, Michelin cross climate 2, Vredestein Quatrac pro+) are main choices in that size, and forget whatever is already there.  The factory tyres don't suit UK climate very well.

Brake discs tend to look rubbish with surface rust but unless discs have grooves or pads heavily worn should last to nearer 35-50k miles (but mileage is not good indicator of brake use, live in a city or in hilly area then brakes will get used lot more than open road).  Replacement discs and pads are usually better quality.

If you get DSG then gearbox is also covered under warranty (unlike manual clutches), and the All in One 2 year warranty, servicing, breakdown, MOTs is currently 20% off until 2 April so can have peace of mind for not much more than cost of servicing.

Remember advisories are just a subjective opinion of an individual, people get them, sometimes take no action and following year don't get one on same item.  Treat them as something to allow replacement to be done within your budget, even if it is year away.   Don't get too hung up on it, but do your own visual inspection.

I've already discounted that car, odd tyres, scuffed alloys, bad brakes discs also a deeply scuffed front splitter. They want in my opinion top money for a car needing two refurbed alloys, front brake renewal and to satisfy my OC two front tyres and a minor paint job.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

I'm back again with some hopefully final questions before I buy.

Not purchasing from a Skoda dealer but a car supermarket type place. Having dealt with them before and they are local to me impressions of the car are all good, not driven yet. This one's had new Good Years on the front and new brakes on the rear before being put on display, so happy there👍

A Kamiq 20 plate SEL 1ltr auto. 

Anything I should be wary of with this engine gearbox combo?  What's it like for reliability (gearbox) what type of auto is it and does it need servicing at any point in its life, car is on 18k miles currently?

As you can tell I'm going into the unknown with this one, especially an auto car. Although I know about the 1.2TSi engine and my previous Citigo 1ltr but that was a different engine altogether, I think.

Edited by MickA

It will be a DSG ‘dry box’ auto therefore requires no servicing.

As for the engine/gearbox combination I’ve read several times on here that the DSG box is better suited to the 1.0 engine, so you should be good.  I don’t know why it’s better suited to the 1.0 but I’ve definitely read it here from one or two members.

As for the 1.0 engine, well I was frankly blown away when I was lent one from a dealer, it honestly doesn’t feel much behind the 1.5 in terms of performance, and it is very very refined.

• Like 1

Well suited to the 1.0 TSI much as with 1.2 TSI.s.

60 /69, 75, 95, 105, 110, 113,115, 130 ps.  Even the 140 ps or 150 PS 1.4 TSI,s are pretty reliable. 

The issues were started pretty much when VW used them with 160 ps and then 180 PS engines. 

Still all no more than 250 Nm

Edited by Rooted
  • Like 1

I have had my 1.0TSI auto for exactly two years now. As per a comment above, absolutely blown away with its performance. Previous cars 170ps and 140ps manual Yetis which technically were much more powerful but coupled with the auto box I really cannot feel any difference in performance, though I’m not a foot to floor driver. Also very impressed with quietness and smoothness. 

• Like 1

I've had a Fabia with the DSG box (90,000miles) and now a 2020 Kamiq SEL (23,500miles), both 1ltrs, and found the gearbox excellent.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Thanks all, now soon to be a Kamiq owner. Put a deposit down on a 20 plate auto SE L.

Probably a few more questions coming soon....

Here's one, will the dsg box need servicing in its life, like an oil change? Been told not but also been told by the dealer  (not a Skoda dealer) that it will @40k miles, true?

Edited by MickA

Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, carefree said:

As I’ve already mentioned above, the DSG 7 (dry) isn’t serviceable, your dealer is wrong.

Thank you, I'd rather listen to people with the knowledge than someone trying to basically sell me down the, have a service/warranty plan road etc.

I got told all types of tales about what could go wrong etc etc. Don't listen and make my own judgement after consultation with the forum.

Basically the car I've bought is an ex lease car, low mileage and meticulously looked after, that's how they should be if you've got to hand it back without penalties.

Edited by MickA

Posted (edited)
On 06/04/2024 at 10:45, carefree said:

Enjoy mate, great cars👍

It's now landed, picked it up today. SE L spec DSG 1ltr 70 plate with just 18k miles.

Looking to get a boot mat and reverse camera (I've seen links in other threads for both)  but for now I'll install my dash cam and enjoy the driving👍

Edited by MickA

9 hours ago, MickA said:

It's now landed, picked it up today. SE L spec DSG 1ltr 70 plate with just 18k miles.

Looking to get a boot mat and reverse camera (I've seen links in other threads for both)  but for now I'll install my dash cam and enjoy the driving👍

You’ll love it.  Put it this way, in over 30 years of driving everything from Audi to Peugeot to BMW etc this is the first time I’ve ever replaced a car with exactly the same model and spec.  Love it.

• Like 2
  • Love it! 1