Cracking sound front speakers via bluetooth

Hi, 

I have a Samsung S21, Android version 14. When I connect the phone via bluetooth to the car ansd play songs on Spotify its all fine. 

But when I increase the volume above a certain level, the front speakers starts to crack and the bluetooth connection is being cut and re-connected. I need to lover the volume in order to have a good bluetooth connection.

Why is this happening? I have not tried with Iphone yet. This is annoying. 

12 hours ago, Mastercard said:

Hi, 

I have a Samsung S21, Android version 14. When I connect the phone via bluetooth to the car ansd play songs on Spotify its all fine. 

But when I increase the volume above a certain level, the front speakers starts to crack and the bluetooth connection is being cut and re-connected. I need to lover the volume in order to have a good bluetooth connection.

Why is this happening? I have not tried with Iphone yet. This is annoying. 

Most likely to be a faulty speaker or several faulty speakers. The cutting in and out maybe just sound production cutting out, not the Bluetooth connection. Remove speakers and test or replace.  You could try the balance control to one side and fader to rear to see if really the entire sound is cutting out at the same time on all 4 channels. 

45 minutes ago, TheClient said:

Most likely to be a faulty speaker or several faulty speakers. The cutting in and out maybe just sound production cutting out, not the Bluetooth connection. Remove speakers and test or replace.  You could try the balance control to one side and fader to rear to see if really the entire sound is cutting out at the same time on all 4 channels. 

Really faulty speakers? Radio works perfectly fine, I have turned up the volume as well. 

Will try with the AUX kable as well today. 

1 hour ago, Mastercard said:

Really faulty speakers? Radio works perfectly fine, I have turned up the volume as well. 

Will try with the AUX kable as well today. 

It would be my first suggestion. There maybe more mid/bass in the streaming compared to radio, it would make a faulty voicecoil on the speaker cut in and out.  Try fading to say rear speakers only. Do they also show exact same fault?  It is nearly impossible that all 4 speakers + tweeters would all be faulty at same time. If it's not that then you need to discount the phone, try another. Beyond that a firmware update on the unit maybe worth a try they can fix faults that become apparent on early firmware.

Edited by TheClient

5 hours ago, TheClient said:

It would be my first suggestion. There maybe more mid/bass in the streaming compared to radio, it would make a faulty voicecoil on the speaker cut in and out.  Try fading to say rear speakers only. Do they also show exact same fault?  It is nearly impossible that all 4 speakers + tweeters would all be faulty at same time. If it's not that then you need to discount the phone, try another. Beyond that a firmware update on the unit maybe worth a try they can fix faults that become apparent on early firmware.

Its the small speakers in the front doors that crack. I have the Canton system.

31 minutes ago, Mastercard said:

Its the small speakers in the front doors that crack. I have the Canton system.

If say the rear speakers with fader fully to rear don't show it its almost certainly speaker driver fault. It can't be Bluetooth fault if say rears are fault free. When you say small driver  in doors, do you mean the tweeter high frequency units? 

Like this?

image.thumb.png.140cdc0748c55eba0da299cf0d4a3f29.png

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, TheClient said:

If say the rear speakers with fader fully to rear don't show it its almost certainly speaker driver fault. It can't be Bluetooth fault if say rears are fault free. When you say small driver  in doors, do you mean the tweeter high frequency units? 

Like this?

image.thumb.png.140cdc0748c55eba0da299cf0d4a3f29.png

Yes, the tweeter on both front doors are cracking when playing high volume. I tested playing songs from IOS unit, still cracks. I adjusted the "fader" balance to the rear, the crack sound vanished. As soon as I balanced 50/50. The tweeters started cracking again. Its not during the whole song, more when the bass in the song drops. 

BTW, one thing that I noticed. I checked the compatability phone units for the Amundsen system. Samsung S21 was not in that list. Whats does this mean? Not even Iphone 11, which I tested with, was in the list. 

See attached image!

Screenshot_20240320_220210_Samsung Internet.jpg

Edited by Mastercard

On 20/03/2024 at 21:04, Mastercard said:

Yes, the tweeter on both front doors are cracking when playing high volume. I tested playing songs from IOS unit, still cracks. I adjusted the "fader" balance to the rear, the crack sound vanished. As soon as I balanced 50/50. The tweeters started cracking again. Its not during the whole song, more when the bass in the song drops. 

BTW, one thing that I noticed. I checked the compatability phone units for the Amundsen system. Samsung S21 was not in that list. Whats does this mean? Not even Iphone 11, which I tested with, was in the list. 

See attached image!

Screenshot_20240320_220210_Samsung Internet.jpg

Suspect the compatability list is static with what was out at time.

If the problem is not apparent at rear I'd say it is likely tweeters damages or it could be back up the chain like amp or head unit. But as only front channels faulty seems unlikely.

If you fade to front fully. Then balance left to rght and centre is the crackling iidenticalin both channels? If its both tweeters faulty I'd expect the fault may be similar but not identically timed on both sides.... 

10 minutes ago, petrolbloke said:

I doubt it's the speakers themselves at fault.

Is your phone doing any EQ? What were the results with the aux input?

EQ??

I have not tried the AUX yet. Will try tomorrow. I'll get back with an update on this.

I think what you are experiencing is clipping:

Clipping (audio) - Wikipedia

Clipping Example (youtube.com)

(between your phone and car head unit)

Can you try the radio or USB/SD card input as well?

Reason for asking about EQ was that if you boost the audio signal from your phone using EQ settings then it could cause clipping.

Edited by petrolbloke

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, petrolbloke said:

I think what you are experiencing is clipping:

Clipping (audio) - Wikipedia

Clipping Example (youtube.com)

(between your phone and car head unit)

Can you try the radio or USB/SD card input as well?

Hmm, maybe. I will test all the sources. Will also record the cutting or clipping sound im referring to.

One more thing that I would like to know. I have the Canton sound system. Amundsen MMI system. 

Is there any difference between the Amplifier for standard system and Canton system. Is the amplifier in the head unit? 

Edited by Mastercard

13 hours ago, petrolbloke said:

I doubt it's the speakers themselves at fault.

Is your phone doing any EQ? What were the results with the aux input?

It's definitwly possible to damage voicecoils on tweeters in right (or wrong) circumstances  but we are making educated guesses.

Probably needs removing driver units in door card assembly and proving with an alternative tweeter if it can't be resolved and proven via other fault testing.. 

Clipping is an overdrive scenario usually the result of excessive volume levels or input sensitivity mismatch. 

Are you, OP,  turning up volume on phone to near max when streaming audio and then using the car system volume. That is usually what works best when not connected directly via Aa or apply car play and streaming via bluetooth.

AFAICR the Canton package would include an enhanced amplifier, in addition to driver specification which is normally accomplished via an outboard unit but I wouldn't bet my life without confirming via googling or someone who has it. 

Edit. To OP. Canton amp definitely under passenger seat.  So wiring to speakers will come from there at origin.

Edited by TheClient

On 23/03/2024 at 01:51, TheClient said:

It's definitwly possible to damage voicecoils on tweeters in right (or wrong) circumstances  but we are making educated guesses.

Probably needs removing driver units in door card assembly and proving with an alternative tweeter if it can't be resolved and proven via other fault testing.. 

Clipping is an overdrive scenario usually the result of excessive volume levels or input sensitivity mismatch. 

Are you, OP,  turning up volume on phone to near max when streaming audio and then using the car system volume. That is usually what works best when not connected directly via Aa or apply car play and streaming via bluetooth.

AFAICR the Canton package would include an enhanced amplifier, in addition to driver specification which is normally accomplished via an outboard unit but I wouldn't bet my life without confirming via googling or someone who has it. 

Edit. To OP. Canton amp definitely under passenger seat.  So wiring to speakers will come from there at origin.

So I noticed that I dont have AUX in my car, only USB A.

As already mentioned, radio works fine. When using bluetooth, raising the volume more that 50% starts to stress the tweets, especially if the soundtrack has bass, then the sound is completly cut off and then back again. I need to lower the volume to make the situation stable.

Could it be some connections to the amplifier that are bad? 

By the way, my head unit was replaced by the previous owner. But I needed to go to my local Skoda dealer for them to marry the head unit to the car due to "Component protection" was activated. 

Dont know what to test anymore.

14 hours ago, Mastercard said:

So I noticed that I dont have AUX in my car, only USB A.

As already mentioned, radio works fine. When using bluetooth, raising the volume more that 50% starts to stress the tweets, especially if the soundtrack has bass, then the sound is completly cut off and then back again. I need to lower the volume to make the situation stable.

Could it be some connections to the amplifier that are bad? 

By the way, my head unit was replaced by the previous owner. But I needed to go to my local Skoda dealer for them to marry the head unit to the car due to "Component protection" was activated. 

Dont know what to test anymore.

Ok. Can you turn off bluetooth and stream via phone plugged into usb a say via Android auto or apple car play. Try that with your phone and maybe another.

Edit: also, if your streaming via bluetooth, what level do you have the phone volume at assuming that affects overall volume level. Try at say 75% not 100% level... Could be overdriving the input.

Edited by TheClient

5 hours ago, TheClient said:

Ok. Can you turn off bluetooth and stream via phone plugged into usb a say via Android auto or apple car play. Try that with your phone and maybe another.

Edit: also, if your streaming via bluetooth, what level do you have the phone volume at assuming that affects overall volume level. Try at say 75% not 100% level... Could be overdriving the input.

I have 100% volume on the phone. 

Im getting f*cking annoyed now. I tried the USB-A commection for android auto. 

My phone starts to charge for 3 seconds, then disconnected. No time for Android Auto to connect. 

I called Skoda to check if there was any fault code for the USB as the car was in for pairing the headunit to the car. It turns out there was a fault code. Since I only payed for the headunit pairing, the fault remains on the USB. 

What could be wrong? 

On 28/03/2024 at 16:19, Mastercard said:

I have 100% volume on the phone. 

Im getting f*cking annoyed now. I tried the USB-A commection for android auto. 

My phone starts to charge for 3 seconds, then disconnected. No time for Android Auto to connect. 

I called Skoda to check if there was any fault code for the USB as the car was in for pairing the headunit to the car. It turns out there was a fault code. Since I only payed for the headunit pairing, the fault remains on the USB. 

What could be wrong? 

Mine has done something like that with android auto before. What i needed to do was plug it in, let it show reading usb or phone message or something on screen, then go to screen where it allows you to select between apple car play / aa. Then I think there is an option on that screen to select device, choose your phone and then either it should work or you select AA again..

Did you try reducing Bluetooth level BELOW 100% ?

2 hours ago, TheClient said:

Mine has done something like that with android auto before. What i needed to do was plug it in, let it show reading usb or phone message or something on screen, then go to screen where it allows you to select between apple car play / aa. Then I think there is an option on that screen to select device, choose your phone and then either it should work or you select AA again..

Did you try reducing Bluetooth level BELOW 100% ?

Nothing for "reading USB" pops up at all. When I go to Android Auto on the head unit, I cant choose anything as the phone is not connected even when the I have connected the phone to USB.

No, I have not tried that yet.

8 hours ago, Mastercard said:

Nothing for "reading USB" pops up at all. When I go to Android Auto on the head unit, I cant choose anything as the phone is not connected even when the I have connected the phone to USB.

No, I have not tried that yet.

When the phone is plugged in and you go to android auto is the an option list or settings button on the car screen that lists devices? 

What year is the car. Is android auto definitely activated on the mib system.  Try another phone? 

22 hours ago, TheClient said:

When the phone is plugged in and you go to android auto is the an option list or settings button on the car screen that lists devices? 

What year is the car. Is android auto definitely activated on the mib system.  Try another phone? 

Year 2020

No list pops up

14 hours ago, Mastercard said:

Year 2020

No list pops up

Ok. In the very short term I would try and reduce the Bluetooth volume on phone down from 100pc and see if it improves things.

as to AA problem, I’m not sure it sounds like it may not be activated.  There are two experts I know of on here on things like that, @pab567 and @langers2k. They may see this post now.   You should bring up your head unit software / firmware on the infotainment screen and photo and post here… 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pab567 said:

Exactly - need to know infotainment unit part number and SW version first.

Im on vacation now. Will take a photo as soon as Im back.