1st MOT advisory - worn suspension arm pins or bushes

Hi all

I recently had my 2021 Skoda Superb's first MOT via a main dealer (at the same time as having the heat protection mat recall done). It passed the MOT but had an advisory as follows:

Front Lower Suspension arm pin or bush worn but not resulting in excessive movement both side (5.3.4 (a) (i))

The service manager was quick to reassure me that "they do see it" and that it is nothing to worry about. He also said it would not be covered by the manufacturer's warranty (which has a month to run).

The car drives fine and there is no knocking.  So I am not especially worried and I can also understand that bushes might be classed as wear and tear item and therefore not covered by warranty but, equally, when the car is only 3 years old and has only done 24,000 miles, it does seem premature. 

I suppose I will just leave it for now and see if it crops up again next time around but wanted to see if anyone has any thoughts or experience on this?

Road conditions and environment might have an impact on wear. Perhaps even speed bumps could cause long term issues. Just monitor as you say 

It is a rubber to metal bonded bush, there is no movement between parts to create wear in the traditional sense, all that has happened is the rubber is slightly less resilient and they can make the suspension arm move more under force from their testing lever.

Its probably no different to any other similar vehicle if there is no knocking.

1 hour ago, smithler2023 said:

I suppose I will just leave it for now and see if it crops up again next time

It is not going to heal up on its own!

• Like 1

Probably priming you to be ready to spend some money with them next year or year after.  I would be tempted to go elsewhere ( not main dealer) next MOT and I would say odds on it wouldnt even get mentioned?

• Like 3

This popped up on my last MOT (8 years and 36300 miles).  It seems that my NSF is getting the hammering as that's the one with the lowest tyre tread (by about 1mm) and it sometimes pops up on the MOT with a corroded spring too.

Even though the same chap has MOTd it for a few years now some of the minor issues come and go without any maintenance being undertaken (maybe they do self-heal @J.R. :)). Go figure 😕