Cam Belt Change on WaterPump Replacement

Just had the "official" service history though from Skoda rather than the erwin printout I was originally supplied.

As per the title, as a general rule of thumb would the sage members expect that the cambelt have been changed when the water pump was replaced?

(nb I will be going back to clarify with them)

image.thumb.png.64533a7c2e2a0fc002f1dc5c4bc89de3.png

The water pump on the 1.4 TSI is that the opposite side of the engine from the timing belt so no, they wouldn't have replaced the belt while they were doing your water pump.

Edited by Steviedakota
  • Like 3

Well.  

When the Cambelt is replaced on a TSI the Water Pump usually does not need replacing. 

Was the Water Pump replaced because faulty?

PS

A TDI is a different Kettle of fish.  (Steamer.)

Edited by Rooted

Not at all, the dealer might try to convince the owner to pay them to do so with scare tactics but a warranty only covers failed components.

It sounds like you were not even the owner of the car at the time.

@Rooted yup replaced  because there was an AA pickup (card left in owners manual) saying "coolant housing leak,adv to drive to dealer & request replacement car from mobex system"

@J.R. no I wasn't. History shows the pump was covered by warranty but there are also the non warranty entries without further details

Personally at that mileage i would be getting the Cambelt & Tensioner replaced. 

Regardless of VW / Skoda changing the UK non-dust country last July from the ridiculous 5 years / 50,000 miles they had it at. 

For me 120,000 miles is about right.   But then i drive like a loony and do double kickdowns etc. 

Foot note. The additional work on in March 2021 @ 65k miles (when the water pump was changed) was rear disc replacement whilst the additional work in June  2023 @118k miles was front disc replacement

7 hours ago, Steviedakota said:

The water pump on the 1.4 TSI is that the opposite side of the engine from the timing belt so no, they wouldn't have replaced the belt while they were doing your water pump.

I didn't know that. How is the water pump then driven? Just curious to know. 

TIA

If the water pump/ thermostat housing was replaced under warranty a water pump belt would/should have been replaced, the cambelt wouldn’t have been touched, the cambelt doesn’t drive the water pump as it has its own drive belt

• Like 2