Thinking of buying - which diesel engine?

Not new to Skoda's Years ago I owned a 2006 Octavia 1.9 PD, loved it, engine was sweet, mileage used to average 55Mpg, but since then I ve owned a few other cars diesels and had issues with have made me alitltle more careful about buying a diesel, as the 2005 Skoda I had in the past had been very well looked after. Unfortunately about a year after owning the car a year lady decided to cruise into me turning right and did not wait and totalled the car. Ive never had the pleasure of owning a Skoda since. 

Will not be buying something mega new probably looking at a Mk2, and currently I know the choice is between the 1.6 TDi and 1.9 PD engine, whilst I know the PD engine is one of the best, I am I would be confedient in buying over with around 100K on the clock as long as it has good service history, is it also worth considering the 1.6, I am very tempted by the fact that the tax is £35 a yeat, but then I will probably have a DPF to contend with, but I do not know what they are like to live with long term and with higher mileages. I have my eyes open to the fact that a timing belt will need to have been done, and at the 100K area things like injectors or the seals may need replacing, I had an injector nightmare on a 1.6hdi in the past everyone tells me that they can get stuck and can be a nightmare to service (That was in the Hdi engine).  The other option is maybe I look at the 1.6 petrol and I think I will be doing mega miles, however do prefer the drive of a diesel. 

I think its a toss between the 1.6 and the 1.9pd. Also  any advise on what to look out for when buying an one is appreciated. I think I was very lucky when I found my old 2005 as it had been really well looked after and never needed a thing. The car seemed to have no rust and was really strong and solid and really want to find something simailir.

Welcome.

If you are buying a Euro 5 1.6 TDI CR then look at if it has had the Defet Device / VW Cheating recall action carried out, the Air flow device fitted and the software / engine management re-cheat.

I would not want one of those .  But then maybe the owner had that rolled back and a remap since.

Think about the mileage and the DPF with one of those TDI.s.    Do not get landed with what was someone else's nightmare. 

2 hours ago, waveydave79 said:

is it also worth considering the 1.6, I am very tempted by the fact that the tax is £35 a yeat, but then I will probably have a DPF to contend with

Talk to some local to you taxi drivers about a DPFectomy.

Thanks for the advise so far guys. I am swaying more towards a 1.9 PD as I know its a more tried an tested engine, Assuming that I do go for this, What sort of mileage do they normally get issues ? for example if I were to buy a higher mileage car should I automatically assume Ill have to swap / clean injectors at some point?  I would like it to be less or a lottery when I buy a car as to wither I have to replace and sort out issues? (Hope that makes sence as I am pretty tired).

waveydavey79

to be fair any used car will ( at least at some point ) have issues, the trick is to fine out if it has them currently and that’s why it’s for sale ? guessing if it’s a 1.9 tdi you’re seeking it’s going to be at least 14 years old so whilst a dealer purchase does give some peace of mind and comeback there’s not many that’ll consider putting a 14 year old car on their forecourt 

to lessen risks a fsh especially oil and filter changes are beneficial indeed some would say a must, cheap cars are that for a reason, they’re nearing the end of economical use, there’s something wrong already or a fault pending ( it’s so easy to clear faults these days ) 

certainly if you are not doing journeys of at least 10 miles ( preferably more ) I’d avoid diesel especially cars with dpf it’s a issue waiting to happen ( even if your journeys are sufficiently long some ( not all by accounts ) diesels regularly regenerate or require one which has to go against better mpg 

I’ve been looking for a 1.9 fabia estate for about a year now ( wanting a cheap fishing wagon ) they are getting thin on the ground, at least any that I’d consider worth travelling to look at 

Edited by davidwhite

If it's a choice between a 1.6TDi and a 1.9PD TDi I'd go 1.9.  We had one in a Fabia Estate and it was a good engine that eventually did something like 189k miles.

• Like 1

Okay update... 

I like the 1.9 as it's a nice engine and plenty of torque. I've had one before and as diesals go they are built well. I'm probably be gonna to be doing more than 10k so I do want to stick with deisal. 

I found one on social media 2002 elegance  high mileage with 174k on the clock. Guy changed his mind and made up an excuse when I was 10 minutes away. 

Today I looked at a 2008 classic. It was basic  but in very good shape bodywork wise, full history, no smoking, started on the turn , was about to agree a sale when I'd finished the test drive pushed in the clutch then heard a sound, was a grinding sound  let the pedal out it went... this only ment one thing which was the clutch and flywheel is knackered, and I was literally seconds away from buying it. Popped the bonnet pumped the clutch and I could smell faint burning smell... literally gutted, the car was 1295 but then not worth it... when adding the work on top.

So all in all the search continues... main things I'm looking for when buying is the normal things, checking for smoke rating, engine mounts , flat spots and excessive lag or smoke on harsh acceleration, etc I know how these pd engines respond its just the flywheel almost caught me out. So now I need fsh , timing belt change within 60 isk k, and one with a fresh-ish clutch. Mileage I'm not bothered about as long as its well cared for, would prefer one step up from basic classic trim so I get central locking, was shocked the classic model has no remote locking  

In the next month my budget will probably be around 2500 top end. So think I'm being realistic, 

Other car I would possible consider would be a 1.4 tdi fabia I do not know this engine though, are they any good. Would have to be an estate.