Can I update my car software myself?

Hi,

I wanted to ask if it is possible to manually update your software via a usb and is there somewhere to get the download file for it?

My car is a 2021 Octavia. I gave attached a picture of my current system information if anyone can tell me if there is an update for it? 

Basically what I am trying to do is fix the sos error or to update the software first before I explore other options.

PXL_20240329_132352592.jpg

4 minutes ago, inspectorman said:

Your navigation database also looks pretty ancient.

Thank you I will have a look through. Yeah that makes sense. To be honest I don't use the nav much. I use waze through android auto mostly.

• Like 1

On 26/03/2024 at 10:06, petersu said:
1 hour ago, Dandesc said:

Hi,

I wanted to ask if it is possible to manually update your software via a usb and is there somewhere to get the download file for it?

My car is a 2021 Octavia. I gave attached a picture of my current system information if anyone can tell me if there is an update for it? 

Basically what I am trying to do is fix the sos error or to update the software first before I explore other options.

PXL_20240329_132352592.jpg

if your SOS module is crashing / going offline you will likely need to get the dealer to update the actual modules firmware which is seperate to the infotainment software update.  If you are still under the original 3 year manufacturers warranty then there is a Škoda issued TPI - you should be able to get the dealer to update both the Infotainment software and the SOS module firmware at no charge (although the dealer will often claim they can’t update the infotainment software - don’t believe them, they can).

Edited by spcdust
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Sponsor
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Dandesc said:

Hi,

You'll require both a telematics update and an infotainment update. The telematics update cannot be done DIY 

It's likely you have multiple other modules with outstanding updates

We can carry all of the updates out and record them against the vehicles build info.

Edited by East_Yorkshire_Retrofits
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, East_Yorkshire_Retrofits said:

You'll require both a telematics update and an infotainment update. The telematics update cannot be done DIY 

We can carry all of the updates out and record them against the vehicles build info.

I can confirm, my SOS module crashed constantly but since the Telematics update was applied it has been rock solid

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, East_Yorkshire_Retrofits said:

Sorry, how are telematics and infotainment updates different? I assumed the updates are all under one package...? How do I know if my telematics are up to date? I recently got my software updated via the dealership to version 1941... Attached is system info.. 

IMG_0156.jpg

• Sponsor
3 hours ago, darkmatterink said:

Sorry, how are telematics and infotainment updates different? I assumed the updates are all under one package...? How do I know if my telematics are up to date? I recently got my software updated via the dealership to version 1941... Attached is system info.. 

IMG_0156.jpg

Your vehicle likely has around 30 control modules. Each one of them has it's own software

The infotainment unit is just 1 of those control modules. (Technically 2, as the display has its own software).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

from what I've read generally the "SOS Error, Visit Workshop" fixes via firmware updates on any VAG  product are no more than placebo updates given the intermittent nature of the way it fails.

I've had it a couple of times now with my Superb and it clears itself after a few more trips (sometimes the next trip or after a stop|start of the car) before vanishing until it next has a minor hissy fit.

Annoying to have the Orange Triangle of Impending Doom on the Dash ?  Yes.

Major Issue? IMHO No

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, East_Yorkshire_Retrofits said:

Your vehicle likely has around 30 control modules. Each one of them has it's own software

This is something I've pointed out several times on here, many owners seem to think that updating the visible infotainment software updates the whole car - it does not!

So quoting the infotainment software version when discussing many other problems e.g engine or ABS is irrelevant.

• Love it! 1

30 minutes ago, Winston_Woof said:

from what I've read generally the "SOS Error, Visit Workshop" fixes via firmware updates on any VAG  product are no more than placebo updates given the intermittent nature of the way it fails.

I've had it a couple of times now with my Superb and it clears itself after a few more trips (sometimes the next trip or after a stop|start of the car) before vanishing until it next has a minor hissy fit.

Annoying to have the Orange Triangle of Impending Doom on the Dash ?  Yes.

Major Issue? IMHO No

i actually think the firmware update does solve the issues.  I went from the SOS module crashing daily prior to the update to now being rock solid.  I suspect it was how the Telematics module handled the switch between 4G and 5G as you drove?  In the early days Skoda’s “solution” was to replace the module but I think their Dev team finally caught up and found a firmware solution to solve the problems.

With all the modules these cars have I liken it to a house of cards as they, in certain aspects, interact with one another and can affect each others stability.  Dealerships won’t, as a matter of course, update all the modules to the latest versions as, I guess, they work on the principle “If it ain’t broken”, which to some extent is understandable.  However, whilst it’s obvious to the end user when somethings are amiss other aspects might not be so obvious.  My aircon/heating seems to function fine but I am never 100% sure if it is working as intended (I know there was a firmware update released for its control module at some point).

6 hours ago, East_Yorkshire_Retrofits said:

The infotainment unit is just 1 of those control modules. (Technically 2, as the display has its own software).

Great. I was all happy that my car is up to date 😂. But the rest of the car works as it’s supposed to. So I really shouldn’t worry about having the latest software for all modules, unless new features were introduced. Then I’ll be missing out. The problem is, in my region, I don’t get OTA updates, nor does the car have internet connectivity. So there is no way to really see what modules need updating