Steering lock turned on after removing ignition locking mechanism

Hello.

My ignition became jammed so I followed the various tutorials and removed the locking switch barrel thing (the part the key goes in). I tested both the locking cylinder with the key in it and the bigger locking barrel (sorry I don't know their names) and both seemed to turn fine (after I sprayed some wd40, compressed air, and grease in them). However, I couldn't get the locking switch to line up properly when I went to put it back together and then the steering lock turned on. I can't turn off the steering lock. I've tried turning it with a screw driver while I shake the wheel.

Is there any way to release the steering lock so I can line them up properly and put it back together or did I screw up completely?

I've attached a photo to hopefully make it more clear

20240406_145837.jpg

An update. I got the key part back on, thinking that if the key was in then I could unlock the steering wheel. No luck. Now the steering is locked I can't turn the key past the first position.

Any advice on how I can get the steering lock off? Or is it f**ked and I'll have to get it towed to the mechanic?

20240406_175556.jpg

Push and turn?

Isn't that what we have to do with the key if the wheel has been turned locking the steering?

You have got me wondering now, it's an automatic gesture but recalling what it is ain't automatic, just pretend that the screwdriver is your key and rely on your muscle memory.

Edited by J.R.

Posted (edited)

Yup, I know how to normally unlock the steering wheel but that isn't working. I'm wondering if there's some failsafe method or whether it's proberly ****ed and I'll need a new locking barrel.

The key goes in but doesn't turn

Edited by EazyLi