How does the UK chose who's lives we protect?

Just reading about Iran directing 200-300 weapons  towards Israel in the past 24hr. ( depends on what report you read as to how many drones an missiles there were ).

I don't condone any retaliation against innocent people, but just thinking about the seemingly double standards we have in protecting innocent human life.  As I understand it, Israel attacted the Iranian embassy in Damascus at the beginning of this month, in effect an attack on another countries soil. We in the West appear to have accepted that attack. The UN takes no action against Israel. The Iranians then launch a counter attack on Israel.

I'm reading reports this morning that UK fighter jets helped to shoot down Iranian missiles bound for Israel.  If that means saving innocent israeli lives then I'm all for it, that's what we should be doing. The problem  is why are we happy to shoot down incoming Iranian missiles, but so against our jets shooting down incoming Russian missiles?  Is an innocent Israeli more important than an innocent Ukranian?

Neither Ukraine nor Israel are part of NATO so what justification do we have choosing one country over another?

Edited by kodiaqsportline
  • Like 1

Good question!

Not being part of we I have no answer.

14 minutes ago, kodiaqsportline said:

Just reading about Iran directing 200-300 weapons  towards Israel in the past 24hr. ( depends on what report you read as to how many drones an missiles there were ).

I don't condone any retaliation against innocent people, but just thinking about the seemingly double standards we have in protecting innocent human life.  As I understand it, Israel attacted the Iranian embassy in Damascus at the beginning of this month, in effect an attack on another countries soil. We in the West appear to have accepted that attack. The UN takes no action against Israel. The Iranians then launch a counter attack on Israel.

I'm reading reports this morning that UK fighter jets helped to shoot down Iranian missiles bound for Israel.  If that means saving innocent israeli lives then I'm all for it, that's what we should be doing. The problem comes is why are we happy to shoot down incoming Iranian missiles, but so against our jets shooting down incoming Russian missiles?  Is an innocent Israeli more important than an innocent Ukranian?

Neither Ukraine nor Israel are part of NATO so what justification do we have choosing one country over another?

Difference is, I think, Russia could well win the war against Ukraine but Iran winning against Israel/USA etc is almost impossible to imagine.

@cheezemonkhai

i think this could do with a relocation to the Roadside hotel? feels like it would be better suited there.

as to whats different?

okay... Ukraine has been invaded by a nuclear power with a do trine thats states they may use nuclear force if attacked on home soil by any nation, but in particular NATO. thus, a proxy war is a safer - who knows what Putin could do if he really did feel threatened- and cheaper option for "The West" to break the Russian military strength. thus the UK/US et al wont take any direct actions against Russia.

The UK/US effectively created the state of Israel and keep the region on a knife edge of instability because its good for business. therefore they will defend Israel to the end. especially against Iran because of the revolution there back in the 70s that kicked them out and removed the US influence on their policies. so, as a result strikes on Iranian targets are fine, because its only iran - nuclear ambitions but guaranteed the US/UK know exactly what they have and what they can do, so the risk is much lower. and when its in defence of Israel, of course they will take whatever action they need to in order to protect their special little project..

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
On 14/04/2024 at 13:41, kodiaqsportline said:

Is an innocent Israeli more important than an innocent Ukranian?

You only need to justify yourself when you can be held accountable.