Are the higher spec seats more comfortable?

I have a 2014 Octavia Greenline Estate, just coming up for 165K. Finding the cloth seats increasingly uncomfortable on long journeys. Are the smarter ones with leather/alcantara more comfortable or is it just the fabric that is different? Do the VRS ones offer more lumbar support? I would consider changing mine as the car is just run in and I plan to keep it for a good few more years!

Rob

I'm interested what you mean by "just run in" as your profile says you have a 2014 Octavia III? 

Saying "just run in" about a 10 year old car seems somewhat unusual to me?

10 minutes ago, PetrolDave said:

It's just a figure of speech -  I've used the same statement in the past to describe good condition cars when middle aged. I wondered if it was a regional phrase, but possibly not as I'm from Yorkshire and OP is shown as in Suffolk.

Sorry just being silly! I get fed up with people saying that after 100K a car is past it. I fully expect this engine to last 300K plus. There is such an expectation to upgrade and replace anything over 3 years old! ( Our newest car is 8 years old with 85K and oldest is 43 years with 140K!) 

• Like 1

I think its the foam that degrades, you say it is becoming "increasingly uncomfortable", was the drivers seat ever comfortable?

All my Skodas the seats have worn through the side bolster from getting in and out and the foam degraded well before the cars were run in, my figure for that is over 200k miles, the point at which the piston rings were finally bedded in and the tiny oil consumption (1/2 litre top up if I went well beyond my 10K mile service limit) stopped altogether.

On the MK1 I changed the lower cover and bolster for one from a breakers yard, it was far more comfortable, I have just changed the seat on my 1980's micro tractor and my derrière is thanking me.

Leather seats probably spread the load a little but once the foam has degraded they can be just as uncomfortable.

@2cvhound Maybe? I used to work with a guy who "always had Citroens" until he discovered that the then new Xantia had very uncomfortable for him seats.I could drive one all day without a twinge of discomfort and then go out for dinner with friends. So my answer is that "it may be the car or may be you".

• Like 2

6 hours ago, PetrolDave said:

I'm interested what you mean by "just run in" as your profile says you have a 2014 Octavia III? 

Irony dear boy....irony.

In answer to the OP, they are marginally more comfortable. I think the seats from a MK3.5 FL model are better (quality) that the MK3 seats but as JR stated...it's probably wear and tear.

My recommendations are one of two options.

1) Find a good car upholsterer in your area and leave the car with them for a couple of days to improve the seats for you.

2) Find a good (scrapped) MK3.5 set of seats and swap them across.

Posted (edited)

Forgive my ignorance, what is a FL model?? Ah, now I see it is facelift! What year did 3.5 start?

The seats were never soft from new always firm, but I'm now finding on  3hrs+ journey that I am starting to shift around to get comfortable. Could just be getting older. They certainly are not as comfortable as some of my previous cars like the volvo 850 or the Citroen BX, both of which were brilliant ergonomically. Even my 2CV seats (which I restrung myself) are more comfortable on a long journey although there is no headrest!

Will ask around for a local upholsterer!

I wonder if Superb seats would fit? Would they be too wide?

Thank you!

Edited by 2cvhound

I recently did a 5,5hr trip to Dundee. Perfectly comfortable. And on the return. I've only done 48000 miles. Foam does collapse eventually. Apart from early Polos all my VW group cars have been comfortable.  Only ever got to 140,000 miles in a Passat diesel. Repair costs to older cars get tedious and expensive.

My old Renault 18 TS had extremely comfortable seats even with limited adjustment.

Edited by gregoir
Additional comments
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, gregoir said:

My old Renault 18 TS had extremely comfortable seats even with limited adjustment.

Trouble is seat comfort is an individual thing. Years( er decades) ago I had a top of the range Renault Savanna 2.0 company car that "initially" felt as though it had really comfy seats but a 100 mile into a long drive my back started twinging and after about 300 miles I could hardly walk - can't blame age then as I was only in my late 20's!  After that I had a Saab 9000cs and wow those seats were fab - Once I drove all the way through Europe to Munich in one go, not a twinge. I find I like most VAG seats (currently Superb mkII) as the firmness suits me but I have a friend who really hates them. 

I you start swapping seats - beware airbags.

Edited by bigjohn
  • Like 2

Perhaps an aftermarket seat cushion (with heating pad) would be an easier solution on the longer journeys!

• Like 1

On 27/04/2024 at 19:09, 2cvhound said:

Forgive my ignorance, what is a FL model?? Ah, now I see it is facelift! What year did 3.5 start?

We have a 2020 Karoq Sportline with the highback seats and bolster sides. I have found that on occasions they can become a little uncomfortable and find I’m wiggling about re-positioning myself. My main gripe is with the ‘staining’ of the fabric, it’s as though there’s been liquid spilt and allowed to dry although I never drink when driving (not even water 😏) If I give the seats a decent brush or use a fabric shampoo the marks will disappear but then eventually reappear a few days later, even if the cars not been used 🤔 There has been a separate thread on here about this but there’s never been a rational reason for the markings. I contacted Customer Care who said to contact the dealer under warranty but they say it’ll not be covered, refer back to CC. Been back on to CC but it’s a bit like pulling teeth getting a response. 

I have a 2016 Octavia L&K Octavia 3 and have found the seats very comfortable even with my ong standing back injury.

Yesterday I drove from Bath to Exeter and back with no back problems at all.

• Like 1

On 28/04/2024 at 11:58, gregoir said:

And back then the headrests were an optional extra😄