Skip to content

No crank no start

Featured Replies

Intermittent fault

Car will not start.

Dash lights up as typical, no dimming on starting.

Battery is 12.8v and 1 year old

I've checked...

  • Trigger red live wire (wire of death)

  • Cleaned X3 earth points and checked for breaks

  • Used spare key in case of immobiliser or key fault

  • Unfortunately, after 5 attempts I investigated engine bay and touched trigger wire (on blt it has an extension to stop it snapping due to being too short) then tried again starting car. It started no unusual noises. I got 12.4v on trigger wire using multimeter, but this was when car was starting up fine.

Starter motor has not made any unusual noises. Could it be on its way out (19year old and 115k.miles?). It either works perfectly or not at all.

Done this X2 occasions. At end of work day.

Suggestions?

Is this a Manual or DSG box?

Is there any indication showing on instrument cluster when it won't crank?

  • Sponsor

If it's not the wire of death, I think it must be the ignition switch.

...or transmission position sensor?

  • Author

Car not returning any error codes. I wouldn't expect any though if starter. I'm changing starter motor (ECP supplied wrong one to start with!)

When starter motor area was disturbed car started. I'm thinking a burnt out segment on commutator ring? I tried steering wheel adjust and wiggling key, spare key before knocking starter and nothing. After disturbing starter motor it started. Wife said she wiggled gear stick and it started.

Dash light extinguish except the typical ones you'd expect. No unusual behaviour (dimming etc)

Manual 6 speed 1.9tdi pd MK1 vrs

Not dsg

  • Author

Bosch 0986018390 is a physical match

2kw

10 rather than 11 teeth - internet and eco says 10 or 11 ok

IMG_20261005_091629.jpg

If it worked when area was disturbed and also when gearstick moved it could be a wiring fault or bad earth? Are you getting any clicks but not cranking or nothing at all.

Alasdair

Create an account or sign in to comment

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Important Information

Welcome to BRISKODA. Please note the following important links Terms of Use. We have a comprehensive Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Account

Navigation

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.