Themostat fix, for a few quid

Gidday Guys,

I had some themostat housing problems, seems to be the usual, broken plastic tag so thermo wont stay in or work and s/s clip retaining jams in the water jacket...

As some of you have outlined, the easy fix is getting new housing for around

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Attached is a pdf, But remember I did the fix not long before I posted the posting and had not needed to recheck it, as it works! So the drawing might not be perfect but should give you some idea on how it works.

Or maybe I could just make some up and send them out at a cost?

Hope this helps.:D

Skoda Fix.pdf

• 7 months later...
Would it not also be possible to swap the MPI plastic body for the SPI metal body with seperate thermostat?

Depends on whether that MPI sensor fits in there.

Looking on ETOS, whole thermostat unit for a 1.6 is part number 032 121 111 N

The thermostat alone is part number 032 121 110 B.

For the 1.3 you can only buy the whole unit, part number 047 121 111 A, or 047 121 111 B for cars with air con.

Skoda dealers, jorily on Ebay, or Butts of Bawtry in Doncaster (available online) are some ports of call. If you have the 1.6 you may be able to get some bits from GSF.

The thermostat is not the problem, it's the broken housing!!! Broken housing means no thermostat will fit no matter how new the thermostat is as it will fall out. Thats what I mean, And as for solder, solder melts above 200degC(even the new leadfree ones) and the water cant get above 120degC(100degC is boiling but under pressure it can get higher), so no issue there either.