New Octy vRS brakes

Well my brakes were truly shocking when i got the car and not a patch on an FSIII equipped MK I Octy.

I got the fluid changed and everything was much better and biting much harder. Stopped me in a hurry from high speeds on an autobahn without any issues.

The garage had said mine were fine and all ok, but I got the fluid done 6 months early as it didn't feel right. Glad I did in the end.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I've had my VRS for just a week and I find the brakes not very progressive at all.

You only have to breath on the pedal to get self-induced whiplash :eek: but after the inital bite, there's no great retardation of the car as I nearly found out to my cost today.

Anybody tried fitting Mintex 1144 pads on a VRSII ?

I have a vRS II with just over 7k on it. The brakes give an initial bite but for the next bit of travel the pedal seems to stiffen up but not apply much more force.

However if you apply more pressure they seem to bite again and then the car stops very quickly.

I've had to do a few emergency stops since I got the car, including one from 45 to 0 in a short space of time. Each time it stops very well, but I would agree that the initial bite feels a bit feeble.

I got the fluid changed and everything was much better and biting much harder. Stopped me in a hurry from high speeds on an autobahn without any issues.

The garage had said mine were fine and all ok, but I got the fluid done 6 months early as it didn't feel right. Glad I did in the end.

Interesting, did you get the standard fluid or upgrade it.

Its terrible that the garage did see them as being an issue when there obviously was :mad:.

• 6 months later...

Back in January I finally got the powers that be to change the fluid in my car. They also scrubbed the pads. There was a massive difference in brakes, finally I had them the way they were supposed to be.

A couple of weeks back while driving down the country I found them back to square one again. I gave a friend a spin (who also drove it after fluid change) and he also agreed. Then to make it even more strange I found them better again last Sunday (very hot day), so as I was going by the same mates house I called in and asked him to see what he thought of them now, he agreed that the seemed better than the previous time (although I wouldn't say there exceptional).

Any ideas why they would come/go like that?

I bet I know what's up. Pads.

I'm betting a new set of pads will cure the problem. I've had the same problem on the last 3 Vauxhalls I've had - one had Lucas pads and two had ATE pads, all factory fitted. One day the brakes would put you through the window, then a week later you'd nearly rip the steering wheel off trying to get stopped. IN all cases the pads were too hard, and were cracking up. My mechanic says the pads are too hard, so glaze up and eventually split.

One all three occasions, new softer pads did an exceptional job. On two I used Apec pads, on this car I'm using Ferodo DS2500.

I bet I know what's up. Pads.

I'm betting a new set of pads will cure the problem. I've had the same problem on the last 3 Vauxhalls I've had - one had Lucas pads and two had ATE pads, all factory fitted. One day the brakes would put you through the window, then a week later you'd nearly rip the steering wheel off trying to get stopped. IN all cases the pads were too hard, and were cracking up. My mechanic says the pads are too hard, so glaze up and eventually split.

One all three occasions, new softer pads did an exceptional job. On two I used Apec pads, on this car I'm using Ferodo DS2500.

I switched my front pads to Ferodo DS2500s on 1st service at 18,000; not that they needed to be changed but I wanted a better pad.

Whilst I reckoned my vRS brakes were up to scratch I found that they faded after the initial (too sharp) bite, particularly on a long application from speed. I had used the Ferodo DS2500s in my Fabia and also have them fitted in my wife's FIAT Doblo (the OE brakes for which ARE terrible); both to excellent effect.

Got them fitted, bedded them in (as per instructions as they are really a 'race' pad) and for the past 2,000 miles wunderbar!!

Initial application is still excellent, but not too sharp, and then stopping power is maintained without any increase in pedal pressure even on a long hard stop. DS2500s are not cheap, about

the initial (too sharp) bite,

Mine have never been like that, well maybe for a while after the fluid was changed and pads sanded, but got bad again over time, then got good, jaysus my head is wrecked with this car.

They do the job, but when brakeing hard from high speeds they seem to be a tad prone to 'brake fade' would be my main observation...

To sum up they ain't the best brakes I've ever had on a car (that award goes to BMW) but they ain't the worse

• 4 weeks later...

I've got exacty the same problem in my 'new' MY06 VRS. Pedal travels about an inch or so before anythign happens - haven't tried an emergency stop yet but might find a quiet road tonight to see what happens. I test drove another one a couple of weeks ago which seemed to only need the lightest touch before lurching to a halt.

So... do I need to go to the dealer where I bought the car (about an hour away) or can I just take it to my local dealer as a warranty job??

Cheers,

Balham

Mine have never been like that, well maybe for a while after the fluid was changed and pads sanded, but got bad again over time, then got good, jaysus my head is wrecked with this car.

I changed my stock pads for EBC RedStuff Ceramic V3 and put 312mm carriers and discs on.

All good :)

I'd put some new pads on, I'm happy with the Reds, but if you're feeling flush and prefer to use DS2500 then as most people hate the reds each to their own etc.

I found the 288mm set up just suddenly moved from gripping to teflon brakes before i changed them and glad I did.

GAFF: If you don't have this sorted and you're going to be at Trax, I'm not there but can give my old pads to one of the guys down here so you can try them out if you like.

I've got exacty the same problem in my 'new' MY06 VRS. Pedal travels about an inch or so before anythign happens - haven't tried an emergency stop yet but might find a quiet road tonight to see what happens. I test drove another one a couple of weeks ago which seemed to only need the lightest touch before lurching to a halt.

I have test driven about 4 or 5 different Octys (and 3 different Golf GTs and GTIs) and thought on all of them the brakes were a bit over sensitive for the first bite (nearly gave myself and the salesperson "front whiplash" the first few times I breathed on the brake pedal). Now I've had my own Octy vRS for a month or so I find it is exactly the same (a bit too sensitive on initial application for my preference), so I would suggest there is definitely a problem with the brakes on some particular cars.

If your dealer tries to fob you off with the old BS "Oh, they are all like that" I suggest you call their bluff by replying, "No they aren't, let me drive 3 of yours right now and we'll see if they are all the same as mine or not".

.... the brakes were a bit over sensitive for the first bite (nearly gave myself and the salesperson "front whiplash" the first few times I breathed on the brake pedal). Now I've had my own Octy vRS for a month or so I find it is exactly the same (a bit too sensitive on initial application for my preference), .......

That's exactly how my brakes were, and they then go on to fade on a long application. :eek:

I prefer a positive, meaty feel to the pedal and having now fitted Ferodo DS2500 pads to the fronts have got this. They are strong initially without giving "front whiplash" and totally fade free on a long application. :D;)

Highly recommended.

So... do I need to go to the dealer where I bought the car (about an hour away) or can I just take it to my local dealer as a warranty job??

Cheers,

Balham

Interesting to hear of someone else with the same issue. What year is your car. I have mainly found no feel when braking in addition to the lack of initial bite. There was definitely a big improvement after fluid change and pad sanding but it has got worse again.

If you do go can you please keep me updated on whats found :thumbup:

GAFF: If you don't have this sorted and you're going to be at Trax, I'm not there but can give my old pads to one of the guys down here so you can try them out if you like.

Cheers for the offer. I don't think I'll be at trax, and not too sure of anyone else from Ireland going.

If your dealer tries to fob you off with the old BS "Oh, they are all like that" I suggest you call their bluff by replying, "No they aren't, let me drive 3 of yours right now and we'll see if they are all the same as mine or not".

Been there done that and have half a dozen t-shirts :rolleyes::rolleyes:. I have brought it to the importers who have also said they are okay. They put it on the brake testing machine and it gave positive results. But as far as I'm concerned that still doesn't mean they are okay. I've had a number of people drive the car (who have and also have not got Mk2 Octy vRS) and they are all in agreement (hence why I find it madness why Importers don't notice it).

Theres obviously something wrong, otherwise I'd have no need to complain about it. I have the dealer principal looking into it for me so hopefully he'll get somewhere.

Still not this sorted?!? .

They tried, and it seemed successful.

Put on some new pads and start enjoying your car.

Who's to say thats the definite problem, then I'll have to go to the expense of possibly changing other things master cylinder etc etc. Also the fact that Skoda will then blame what I have done as being the issue or being related to the problem. My car had a warranty and this should have been rectified during it (its no wonder they fob people off when people end up getting the work done themselves). From my point of view the brakes on other cars are sufficient for me so all I want is that.

I never had any brake issues with the Mk1.

Gaff, any idea how much postage is from England to you?

Haven't a clue tbh, I'd have to get someone to fit them (never done them myself).

So would you honestly buy another Skoda Colm after going through what you described?

Like you IIRC I've a pain in the rear with the brand, I don't mind having problems but its the not resolving of them or denial that there is an issue that really annoys me. I've heard loads of examples of this with the importers. Its a bit of a joke tbh.

I can't understand why they just don't rectify them which will in turn will result in brand loyalty. Maybe its the case at the moment that they are selling so many cars that they don't care, but with the economy the way its going they might be grateful of returning customers.

Things might change from October 1st when VW take over.

I have good success recently with a Passat that is out of warranty by 3 months and they are fixing the issue free of charge.

Yea hopefully, theres probably a bit of a stale atmosphere in the importers due to this and obviously they have no interest handing out money to pay for fixes when they are loosing the brand. This lack of interest is definitely coming from the top as far as I'm concerned.

I was considering a 2 year old 530D in a while with the VRT changes. Buts its a lot of money compared to a Diesel vRS.

Sanding the surface of a bad pad does not make it suddenly become a good pad. If the pad is too hard, which is often the case on factory fit, then you'll never get a good bite. Brake pads are an abrasive. To work they must bite into the disc, and therefore parts of them get ripped off - hence brake dust. The extreme example is a grinder - that's abrasive hitting metal, both the abrasive and the metal wear out.

Most pads are an abrasive material mixed with steel, the steel holds the abrasive together. If there's too much steel in the mix, then you get a pad that doesn't wear and goesn't grip well.

I'm betting if your pads are taken off, they'll be full of shiny flecks of steel.

But, all that said, I think it's rediculous that your dealer is messing you about for so long when you're obviously not happy - anyone with any sense on their part would bosch on a new set of discs and pads in the hope it'd fix it. Trade prices on discs and pads aren't that expensive.

I hope you get her sorted anyway - and don't lose faith. We've a serious number of Octavias in the fleet at work, and there's not often complaints about brakes. It's usually the Vectras that end up stuck in the back of something because the brakes crapped out.