Discounts on used cars

Fish

I know that dealers have margins whereby they can offer some sort of discount when it comes to trading in or outright buying a new car, but what is it like when buying 2nd hand?

Do they have better bargaining power?

paying in cash can reduce the price considerably from experience, and you can haggle good deals, got 2k knocked off the elegance i have :)

That's interesting - from what I've heard most dealers don't like a large amount of cash on the premises and prefer switch payments or more usually the finance they're pushing!

At the end of the day, the room for haggling will depend on the car's Glass's book price, condition of the car (ie what needs doing to it for the sale) and desirability of the car - if they think they can sell it for screen price, they're going to be more reluctant to go down. Something that's been taking up space on their forecourt for a while will have much more room for manouevre :D

Chris

That's interesting - from what I've heard most dealers don't like a large amount of cash on the premises and prefer switch payments or more usually the finance they're pushing!

At the end of the day' date=' the room for haggling will depend on the car's Glass's book price, condition of the car (ie what needs doing to it for the sale) and desirability of the car - if they think they can sell it for screen price, they're going to be more reluctant to go down. Something that's been taking up space on their forecourt for a while will have much more room for manouevre :D

Chris[/quote']

also buying it as seen, or picking the bits that need fixing and stuff getting extra warrenty... bla bla bla my dad got his fabia 1200 under the asking price:) but i think theres a big inflation too once its on the forcourt, aswell as that we have had 3 cars from the same dealer:)

The best way to get a good deal from the dealer, is to use their finance with no part ex, then cancel the finance and win win... :rofl:

I got nearly

The dealer may not be insured for keeping large amounts of cash on his premises, espically if empty overnight/weekends. Also the banks will make a charge for handling large amounts of cash. While someone is counting it, they can't flog other products!

AndyC