Gearbox rattle - VRS Recall

P-A

i had that problem on my 06 plate. been back to skoda a few times, they fitted a new gearbox mounting but the knocking came back the same day so i decided to fix if myself after reading about it. i took the gearbox mounting off and i used the correct grease which i got from vw and now it is fixed.:)

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My gearknob vibrates quite bad when im idling and in neutral but just thought that it was meant to be like that. Anyway, went to get a different knocking noise and my clutch sorted and the service manager thinks the knocking noise is the gear box. Apparantly shes heard it on another Fabia. So they said they were going to pack it with grease. Its going in on the 30th October so we'll have to see if it makes a difference.

Well you know I said the gear lever vibrattion was back with a vengance... :(

The dealer has now informed me that to solve the issue once and for all, they are intending to fit a new gearbox housing...

All I need now is the drivers door vibration when you go over bumps in the road(Any idea's anyone ?) sorting and its the best car I've had ! :thumbup:

Had mine fixed once. Came back within a couple of days. Not as noisey or frustrating, but still there. I do find everytime I take it to the dealer, something else gets broken off. When I picked up the car, didn't notice anything, but wasn't looking really. Found that the ashtray wasn't screwed in correctly, they had broken a securing clip from the centre console, so I had an inch gap in the drivers footwell, the list just went on. I just put it back correctly, but did call the garage, but not a sincere apology or anything. Just said 'sorry' as he had to. My question was "who was working on the car?" as surely it could have been a trained technician, as I would find it hard to believe that they wouldn't be able to put a centre console back correctly!!!

The dealer hates me. Have regular conversations and they know my reg number off the top of their heads. Is that a bad thing!!??

Well you know I said the gear lever vibrattion was back with a vengance... :(

The dealer has now informed me that to solve the issue once and for all, they are intending to fit a new gearbox housing...

All I need now is the drivers door vibration when you go over bumps in the road(Any idea's anyone ?) sorting and its the best car I've had ! :thumbup:

Any details regarding that "gearbox housing"???

Any details regarding that "gearbox housing"???

my local dealer fixed the rattle with a black cable tie!!!!....I noticed and compliamed and they said that was the fix....spoke to Skoda CS...told me to take the car back to the stealer and tell them to ring C Services!!!!

Will have it seen to properly at the 20k service...yes yipes i've done 16 K since 3rd April :(

P2M

The dealer installed a new gear selector which is what they initially described as being the gearbox housing to me... Apparently this sits at the bottom of the gear lever ?

Anyway it hasn't fixed the problem and they have now been in contact with Skoda Technical (Milton Keynes) who are apparently AWARE of this issue and are working to find a permenant fix to the problem..

Sorry mate, I thought it might get fixed after all, but it looks like I'm going to have to wait a while longer...

P2M

The dealer installed a new gear selector which is what they initially described as being the gearbox housing to me... Apparently this sits at the bottom of the gear lever ?

Anyway it hasn't fixed the problem and they have now been in contact with Skoda Technical (Milton Keynes) who are apparently AWARE of this issue and are working to find a permenant fix to the problem..

Sorry mate, I thought it might get fixed after all, but it looks like I'm going to have to wait a while longer...

Thanks for info mate.

Last week I finally used that grease and have to say it seems to work - at least on my car. Made about 1000km since that time and the rattle doesn

• 3 weeks later...

ok bit of an update guys my car has now beeen booked in for the fix for this issue

the technician said that to cure it you need to raise the idle speed by 100 rpm will update you guys on the result next saturday evening

• 2 weeks later...

Finally appears to have been solved after the dealer had my car for a total of 5 days ! :(

Anyway it now seems that when it went in originally some 6 months ago, they fitted the wrong cables (apparently there's some modified ones available), so all of this hassle could have been sorted long ago it would now seem - What do i think of certain Skoda dealers :finger:

ok bit of an update guys my car has now beeen booked in for the fix for this issue

the technician said that to cure it you need to raise the idle speed by 100 rpm will update you guys on the result next saturday evening

What??? How would raising the idle speed make any difference?! The problem is caused by two surfaces touching when driving over an uneven surface, idle speed has nothing to do with it!

It seems that we are talking about two seperate issues here -

1 - The engine/gearbox mount knocking.

2 - The gear selection cables rattling at idle.

both of which are known and have 'fixes'.

Well they solved the gearlever but it came out with a dashboard vibration under low revs from the passenger side... don't you just love skoda dealers...

my one does that dashboard rattle when i picked my car up earlier from the dealers

still has the gearlever rattle not as bad tho

seems to do it after reving the engine it returns to idle it rattles and fades away in 5 secs also happens when i tap the gearlever to the right i.e towards 1st and 2nd the dealer said he has reported the problem to skoda but have you guys got any ideas of what it now could be :confused:

I've had the gearbox mounting clonk since my car was new 6 months ago. I had the car into the garage to have the silicone grease treatment to the gearbox mounting about 5 weeks ago but it hasnt cured the clunking noise. My car continues to emit the occasional clunk when driving reasonably slowly over mildly undulating road surfaces.

I have to ask the question...."If the noise isnt being produced from the gearbox mounting then where the h*** is it coming from?.......could the front suspension or steering rack be loose?"

I hate to go tinkering about with the car while its under warranty but if I keep drawing a blank with the Skoda garage for much longer then I'm going to be forced to investigate the cause myself....but it shouldnt come to this..........Skoda should be doing all the investigation on what is obviously a manufacturing fault, after all I paid good money to have a new car so that I wouldnt need to get under it and get totally greased up!

My patience is running out ....does it show?:mad: