Octavia II Xenon Headlights

VRStu

Mine had to go back several times. First time they said 'oh it's fine' knowing full well it was FAR too low, not borderline but WAY too low as the lights were the worst I've ever used. It eventually got adjusted properly.

Post-10k-service it had to be redone as they'd down-adjusted the lights AGAIN!!

Combined with the overcharging I've not been back since.

There ARE dealers, be it VW or Skoda, that CAN do it properly, the 50k service was done without any problems in that regard (although they missed some other stuff :rolleyes: ) - that said, investing in a VAGCOM lead makes a load of sense on these cars :)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know whether this is the right thread to join but I thought I'd ask about my Xenons.

I've had an Octavia II since June. I noticed that when I turned them on the beam would drop then come up again, presumably the calibration process. However, yesterday I noticed this no longer happens. Could I have a fault?

I also have beams setup like FatOldGit - they seem steady on the level but on hills they are apt to be too high and several times I've been flashed by oncoming cars.

I don't know whether this is the right thread to join but I thought I'd ask about my Xenons.

I've had an Octavia II since June. I noticed that when I turned them on the beam would drop then come up again, presumably the calibration process. However, yesterday I noticed this no longer happens. Could I have a fault?

I also have beams setup like FatOldGit - they seem steady on the level but on hills they are apt to be too high and several times I've been flashed by oncoming cars.

Dealer should be able to reset them, sounds like mine, the self levelling had stopped working.

Am I correct in thinking that the levelling calibration process only takes place when you turn the lights on and possibly only takes place when you are stationary? Is there supposed to be any levelling adjustment when driving, eg to compensate for acceleration, braking, potholes and bumps?

Thank you VRStu.

Sorry to be thick, but does that mean the self levelling is perfomed continously when driving, or only performed when you turn the lights on and are stationary? If on continuously, is it able to compensate for acceleration, braking, potholes and bumps, or is it only able to cope with slower variations in level?

• 3 months later...

I'm digging out this thread because I got my RS today and already put on 400km on night driving. I have xenons fitted as standard.

When going over bumps, the lights tremble as if the lamps are not attached correctly to their base. On top of that they don't seem to hold a correct level, being at a perfect level a few times and high most of the time.

I also noticed that there is no initial calibration (moving up and down).They just stay at the level they are when turned on.

Finally, I noticed that the high beam (regular bulbs) is completely useless. It's like a pair of candles on top of the xenons.

1)Are there any solutions to enhance the luminosity of the high beam?

A friend of mine has a Superb with xenons and when the high beam is turned on,apart from the regular bulbs,the xenon lamps light furthermore on top of their main beam luminosity.

Has anyone noticed that?

2)Is that the case also on the Octy II xenons (enabled through Vag-Com or something)?

The original high beam is crap to say the least, I put rally bulbs in mine which helped a little but not much, the beam pattern is truly awful.

The Superb you refer to has Bi-Xenon lamps, a shutter blocks the light on low beam and moves at high beam to illuminate everything in front. The Octavia is not available with Bi-Xenon which is disappointing. Bi-Xenon is physically different from standard xenon so there is no VAG-COM mod to change it.

It sounds like your xenons might not be set up correctly.

The flickering lights are a trait of the unit fitted to the Octavia and you'll get used to it after a few months, I don't actually notice it any more.

It's worth noting that mine do not self calibrate EVERY time they are switched on.

My Xenons suffered from the shakes and the beam only seemed to stretch 8FT in front of the car.

After Stu worked his magic the shakes have gone and the beam from the head lights now lights up the road ahead very well, only took two minutes aswell.

Witchcraft:thumbup:

Have you ever had them setup??

Nope, but they work fine, self levelling works when accelerating and braking, the beam throw is correct. The car is most likely going in a few months time so I won't worry too much about it if they haven't been set up. New job new car if all goes to plan.

They self calibrate probably 75% of the time.

If I switch my ignition on then the headlights immediately afterwards, the beam will drop then raise again . . I assumed this was the sensor on the rear axle just adjusting so the beam was correct? Maybe mine aren't set up properly either then?

Mine do seem to give a reasonable throw of light, not as much as I'd like to be honest but any more and I'd be blinding people on every slight crest on the road.

I don't have Xenons but curious as to whether the dealer is supposed to do any sort of light adjustment for the standard lights during the PDI. Reason I ask is they missed taking out the suspension chocks and just wondering what else these muppets missed. I did notice with the chocks in place the lights are a bit high.

• 5 months later...

Just found this thread when I was looking for an answer to my question. I have xenons fited but the high beam seems like regular yellow bulbs. Is this the way it is in all cars or have they put in wrong bulbs into my lights?

I think I found the answer in another post. Any idea why the high beams are NOT xenon? Is it cost control?

Probably cost control as Bi-Xenons (dip and main beam) are available on the Golf for something like