VAG COM Interface cable

FabiaTDi

Well I suppose this comes under maintenanace and tools/technology, but

am I right in thinking all I need to do is get hold of a UNI-COM or TWIN-USB cable? :detective

The software itself seems available to download from Ross-tech, but they only do packages and dont sell the connectors seperately. This means you have to spend just over

Chaps - where is the obd socket on a 1.9tdi octavia ?

Do believe it's behind a little flap on the underside of the steering column.

and if the car is set for variable servicing' date=' can you use vag-com to interrogate when it is due ?[/quote']

I thought that using variable servicing would rely on a bunch of sensors to determine when a service was needed, so even the ECU wouldn't be able to predict it much in advance...

Rob.

...and if the car is set for variable servicing, can you use vag-com to interrogate when it is due ?
By using the VAG-COM you should be able to see what type of service interval your car is set for. The dashboard display tells you when the next service is due.

While we are on the subject of VAG-COM software, what is the least anyone has paid for the fully registered software and a commercial OBD cable - and where from? Eg, the cheapest package from www.vag-com.co.uk is

• Administrators
Has anyone used one of the newer USB cables? - Any comments?

I don't want to limit my choice of laptop around having a serial port.

I have seen somewhere serial to USB adapters. No idea where, but somewhere, potentially needed them a while back, but I have a stupidly small laptop with USB/fire connectors only...hey it seemed like a good idea at the time.

I thought that using variable servicing would rely on a bunch of sensors to determine when a service was needed, so even the ECU wouldn't be able to predict it much in advance...

This is a genuine question Rob. What sort of sensors and what do you think they're sensing? This question is about peoples perceptions of variable servicing.

This is a genuine question Rob. What sort of sensors and what do you think they're sensing? This question is about peoples perceptions of variable servicing.

I'd imagine it would be something to measure the amount of oil in the sump. And possibly it's texture.

But I don't really know, surely it must have some car-related variable though, otherwise it would just be "fixed with longlife oil servicing"... :D

Rob.

I'd imagine it would be something to measure the amount of oil in the sump. And possibly it's texture.

The reason I asked is this. My RS, like everyone elses, was set at variable from new but I went for fixed at ten. So 10k rolled round and I got it serviced but they forgot to reset the service indicator so this weekend at 17k the service warning came on. I know it doesn't need servicing so I just had it turned off and will take it back in at twenty. I think this might be the first time that this sort of thing has happened this way round on here. There obviously isn't a little bit of machinery that rubs the oil between its fingers and thinks 'Mmm...a bit thin'. My thoughts at the time were that maybe the variable servicing isn't quite as clever as everyone thinks but also I was interested in how people think it works.

Yours musing :scratchch ,

I have seen somewhere serial to USB adapters. No idea where, but somewhere, potentially needed them a while back, but I have a stupidly small laptop with USB/fire connectors only...hey it seemed like a good idea at the time.

The new VAG-COM cables are interface socket to USB - rather than Interface socket to serial port - so there is no need for a serial port to USB adapter - see package E and F here:

http://www.vag-com.co.uk/products.htm

Does anyone know if this cable is available cheaper from elsewhere?

There obviously isn't a little bit of machinery that rubs the oil between its fingers and thinks 'Mmm...a bit thin'. My thoughts at the time were that maybe the variable servicing isn't quite as clever as everyone thinks but also I was interested in how people think it works.

Yours musing :scratchch ' date='[/quote']

I believe the oil quality sensor works on an optical basis. It doesn't measure viscosity (modern oils don't change very much during their service life), but detects the amount of abrasive "gunge" (for want of a better word) suspended in the oil by measuring its opacity.

Page 128 of the Octavia Owner's Manual gives a brief explanation of the basis on which LongLife Service is determined. However the system works, its main feature is that service intervals are calculated on the basis of your individual driving conditions and your personal style of driving. Interestingly, if the engine is topped up with more than 1/2 litre of non-longlife oil between services, the service indicator will come on earlier and the time and distance between services will be reduced. That should mean that the oil type and quality is being monitored as part of the service interval calculation, although I can't identiify from ETKA any sensor on the engine which might be doing this. Can one of our dealer experts cast further light on this?

The new VAG-COM cables are interface socket to USB - rather than Interface socket to serial port - so there is no need for a serial port to USB adapter - see package E and F here:

http://www.vag-com.co.uk/products.htm

Does anyone know if this cable is available cheaper from elsewhere?

Ross-tech who make vag-com are cheaper to import the usb vag-com by

Has anyone used one of the newer USB cables? - Any comments?

I don't want to limit my choice of laptop around having a serial port.

I've tried looking for a serial port equipped laptop and managed to find 2..

Both are Hp pavillions and are now discontinued. You might have luck at comet, but they want