Do Czechs have smaller bottoms?

LeighB

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Apparently, yes, she is Czech - at least this is what came up when I Googled Czech Bottoms.

.........far,far too much time on my hands!

So long as it's only time!!

Hehe. If you scroll up a bit and show only the very top of the picture of the leather seat on page 1 it looks like someone's bottom .... I got quite a shock!!!!

No it doesn't - you've just got a dirty mind!

Actually - you're right, it does!

Thanks fellwalker,

As I thought the main structure of the seat is the same and it is no wider, with the same plastic shell. We have found that a 5 degree wedge seat cushion on the standard seat entirely resolves the problem so no need to go to the expense of L&K.

We have ordered an Elegance, now just need to wait for delivery :thumbup:

• 4 months later...

The car seats are giving me back ache! At first they feel supportive and firm but after about 15 mins, the driver's and passenger seat both feel too hard. My middle lower back becomes very sensitive and the nerves in my legs start to twinge. I love the car otherwise, it's just that I haven't been able to get comfortable at all. I will try a cushion to see if that helps. Feel like the lumbar support is made of an iron bar!

The Octavia drives really well. After loads of hassle, when I finally test drove the car I crossed it off my list because both my wife and I found the front seats so uncomfortable. The dealer suggested cushions/supports etc. but I see no reason why I should spend more of my money to provide a heath robinson solution to something that should have been addressed by the manufacturer.

Skoda is not alone in this, I had a Vectra hire car for a few weeks but swopped it for a Mazda 6 because the Vectra seats gave me backache. Colleagues tried the car and reported the same.

Come on car makers, most people should be able to find a comfortable driving position these days!

Hi,

I raised a question earlier about seat comfort in the Octavia. In pursuit of facts I have been back to the Skoda dealer and VW and measured the seats.

The seats on my Pug 306 are 33cm wide on the flat central bit and 52cm including the side bolsters. Front to back is 45cm

The Golf is also 33cm by 51cm and 50cm fore and aft.

Octavia is only 30cm in the centre and 47cm overall width, it is longer fore and aft at 47cm.

The difference is really quite significant.

Conclusion has to be that the Czech people have small bottoms and long legs :D

A further problem re seat comfort in this comparison is that the Side bolsters on the Pug consist of firm padding only NO rigid plastic within.

The Golf has a detectable plastic side piece, but it is quite well padded.

The Octy has very thin padding the bolster is narrow.

I am afraid that it is looking as if the Octy is just too small in the seat for my missus although we are going to try a drive with a suitable cushion to see if this sorts it out.

It is a huge pity as the car is great otherwise.

It seems strange that more people have not found this a problem. Jan is not overweight, but does have quite wide hips.

I agree with you

My wife is size 12 but has fond that a 2" foam pad on top of the seat has made a big improvement to her comfort

I agree with you

My wife is size 12 but has fond that a 2" foam pad on top of the seat has made a big improvement to her comfort

Thanks for that follow-up, SWMBO will be pleased to find she is not the only one to suffer, although I have to admit she is a tad larger than size 12. Don't tell her I told you so.

With the 5deg wedge foam pad she is very comfortable even on long journeys.

I find the seats bl00dy uncomfortable and did so from day 1. Luckily I drive mainly short journeys, but I have been considering selling just because of this issue. That would be a real shame becasue the VRS offers so much.

Does anyone know if MkV Golf seats will fit a VRS. If its the same platform would they not bold straight in - or does it not work like that?

I find hte seats VERY comfortable. Tehy were one of hte reasons I chose the Skoda over the Audi or teh Golf.

I have happily driven to London from Durham, without pain.

Cannot comment on the VRS, becasue Skoda will not do a DSG box with it.

I also chose the Octavia based largely on how good the seats are following back pain from my last car. I'm really pleased with them. Did a 400 round trip last weekend and felt fine (and I'm 6'7").

Well it's been confirmed to me this weekend that the seats in the VRS are just not very good. How? Well I drove from London to bath on Sat, left family at inlaws and got a lift back in a Golf V6 4motion the next day. Never been in one before and the seats were faultless: supportive and comfy for the entire journey. In the VRS I had constantly been adjusting the seat (as usual) to try and find a comfortable position and although I was more comfortable than ever before, I still had the beginnings of lower back ache after being the car for just over two hours. (I am not an unusual size & weght 5' 11 and 14 stone)

Anyone got any solutions!! Are the seats from the L&K (leather) more comfy (I know that superb seats are)? Will other VAG seats bolt in, as a direct replacement? There is a new golf TDI in our road with leather seats and they look a LOT more comfortable than those in the VRS.

Come on guys - I really don't want to sell, but the thought of driving to Italy this summer is filling me with dread rather than excitement. Any solutions?

Cheers

Olly

I was looking at the Octavia vRS Diesel as a company car. My previous car (BMW 320d) ingested part of it's own intake system and duly wrecked the engine at a heady 45mph! The first loan car I had was an Octavia Diesel (might have been a Classic). I had the car for a week and covered over 1,000 miles in it but could not find a comfortable driving position. I also tried a 2.0TDi (Ambiente or Elegance, can't remember) for a day from a local dealer. Again I experienced a lot of discomfort.

I'm only 5Ft 10" and weigh around 12 stones but I do have broad shoulders ,and it was mid-way between my shoulders that I had a very sharp pain. The Octavia seats just seemed too narrow to accomodate my broad shoulders. My wife conversely had lower back pain in the passenger seat.

As a company car the contract hire company wouldn't permit any change of seats. To be fair to the dealer, the salesperson pointed out that the car would look odd if the front seats were changed to items that didn't match the back seats. I wasn't willing to pay company car tax on a vehicle and then have to consider using cushions or foam pads to try and make myself comfortable.

My solution was a Toyota Avensis T180 Tourer. A very comfortable (for me) and extremely well equipped estate car with lots of space. The monthly cost was the same as the vRS Diesel (after adding Skoda options to almost meet the sppec of the Avensis) and 14,000 miles later I'm very happy.

I feel really sorry for any of you who have paid their own money.

The Octavia is a great car to drive and I would have been very happy to drive the vRS Diesel estate if only I could have found proper comfort behind the wheel. It must be so galling to have to play around with cushions etc or even to consider changing seats after paying good money for a modern car.

It makes me wonder if the seats should be referred for a medical opinion?

I know that Saab and Volvo seats are designed with medical advice to ensure a good level of comfort & support for most people.

A guess one solution might be to look at fitting something like Recaro sports seats. These would fit the image of a vRS, there are a number of different Recaros to choose from and should you decide to sell the car later you could offer both the Recaros and the originals. Could be worth a search on the internet to see what's available and to check where you can see or even sit in the seat before buying.

thanks Wakashi - I appreciate your sympathy, and yes I did pay my own money. I have thought about recaros, but what about subframes, driving position etc. I only have one other experience of fitting aftermarket seats to a car and it was a disaster, trying to get someone who knows what they're doing to make and fit the seats on proper subframes (I admit it was largely due to the muppet involved). This is why I really want to know if seats from other VAG cars might simply bolt in. The plastic surround at the base of the seat, position of the adjustment levers etc certainly looks similar on the new golf - ANYONE??

thanks again