Help choosing digital camera

I have had a Canon Powershot A70 for three and a bit years but it has gone belly up and i reckon rather than get it fixed the money would be better put towards a new camera.

My budget is

Just upgraded from a Sony Cybershot DSC-P72 to a Sony Cybershot W70. Much smaller camera, bigger LCD screen, viewfinder, manual settings, longer battery life, and on special offer at Jessops, within your budget, even with memory card and spare battery!

Anyone want to buy my old DSC-P72??

Thanks for the replies.

I really want a camera with a viewfinder. Also want something with maual settings as well as the auto modes.

Keep the suggestions coming:thumbup:

I've had two Fuji's (last one was the S602Z) and highly recommend them. Had a look at a Sony but didn't think it was as good. I liked the Canon Powershot though and the Nikon Coolpix is also worth a look :D

I usually wander down to Jessops and they're quite happy to let me play with them :D

Chris

That's the best thing you can do - go round the shops and play with some cameras, see what suits you best.

I recently changed from a Fuji S3500 to a Sony DSC-H2. The Fuji was great but getting on a bit. The Sony's a big improvement. Better zoom, faster response, better colour. It's a bit chunky but I think it's worth carrying about!

Might be a bit above your price range though.

My Fuji s7000 has for some reason decided to die, nothing happens when I switch it on :confused: ....tried new batteries ......and even read the manual:eek: but It's not worth sending it for repair ....so I am looking for another camera as well ....so keep on reccommending and I will watch with interest

I'v got a Cannon Ixus 55 and its a fantastic bit of kit. I bought it at the begining of the year to replace my old (but still brilliant) Ixus V.

If you have had the cannon's before i would stick to them, I origionally bought a Pentax to replace it and was very dissapointed and ended up taking it back for a refund as the battery life was poor and the picture qualitly was not as good as the old Canon.

The Ixus 55 however was a different story, the battery life is gerat, the screen is large and clear and it has a viewfinder which was something I was looking for and its also got the bonus of being extremly compact and a really nice looking camera.

Well it's not got a viewfinder - tbh, although my last camera had one, i just used the lcd screen because the optical viewfinder was too small and fiddly to use in everday use.

I've now got a Nikon S6. Nice camera, good feature set, allows full manual settings, small, compact and sharp images. One criticism seems to be the images can, in certain lighting conditions, have a very slight purple fringing going on, but it isnt noticeable 8 times out of ten.

Can get it delivered for £184 from pixmania.

Hi,

Have a look at the Ricoh Caplio R4 @ 6.1 MP, this camera is about to be replaced by the Caplio R5. You can buy a R4 from fotosense.co.uk for £199. If your budget can stretch a little further, then the Caplio R5 is only £249.99, comes with a 7.2 MP CCD, Macro function, and a built in image vibration correction system.

Have a look at the bargain basement at Warehouse Express Online, I used them all of the time for my equipment, they are about the cheapest on the net. They offer 10 months interest free credit, (just in case you see something a little more than you have right now). Advoid Jessops, they have not got a clue anymore, they just want to sell you the camera they have and not the one you want.

Hope this helps

Avoid Jessops, they have not got a clue anymore, they just want to sell you the camera they have and not the one you want.

That's not my experience of the 3 branches I've used for buying cameras, lenses, tripods and video cameras. Maybe I just got the good staff, but they knew their stuff and were quite happy to listen to me and make suggestions without me ever feeling pressured into buying! :D

Chris

Regarding Jessops, I bought my new camera from one of their branches - but almost walked out! I must have got the "Saturday Student" assistant. I asked what I thought were a few simple questions (e.g. on average, how much longer will a Li-Ion battery last compared to an AA NiMh; how many shots will this camera take on one charge; how does this camera lens/feature compare to that one) and the conversation went round in circles for several minutes. Eventually I expressed my impatience at his lack of knowledge (and even understanding of the questions) and the guy left me standing whilst he went to fetch another member of staff. Fresh start, questions answered, camera chosen, loadsamoney spent, couple of freebies thrown in; but it was nearly a no-sale.

Moral - make sure you've done some homework before you go in the shop, and make sure you aren't served by a trainee!!

Rob - it seems we're leading parallel lives again :rofl:

I too have a Powershot A70 that has packed up. Did yours get purple lines all over the screen/images ?

SWMBO has an Olympus MJU which, is very very nice indeed - and it was cheap too.

:eek: :eek:

This is getting spooky now :rofl:

on my A70 the display shows nothing but still shows the settings if you know what i mean, and when you take a picture it is not focusing on anything. I searched the net and the problems we have both had are down to the connections to the CCD becoming faulty somehow.

I can't imagine it being cheap to repair so i am getting a new one.

These guys in Altrincham Discount digital cameras camcorders UK - Equipment Express are very good value and also do very cheap memory cards. The best bit is that even though they are an internet shop, they have a small 'actual' shop in Altrincham, bang opposite Jessops, so you can see the stuff first. Their CFII cards are half the price of Jessops.