Pah! DVDs!

I have never really been a big DVD watching person and I only own 2 movies which are the thrid star wars film and i-robot (which came free with the DVD player). The first time I used it I 'rewound' the DVD back to the beginning :o .

Over the weekend I bought myself the first and second series of sugar rush (programme on C4, highly funny) and was really looking forward to watching it. Went to turn the DVD on, and the fecking thing has stopped working. I have only used it 4 times since I bought it 6 months ago! Does anyone have any idea why it would stop working after so little use?*

I never filled out the warranty card thing, so I doubt I have a leg to stand on if I want to take it back to the shop.

Also, I thought I could watch the DVD on my laptop, but it says I need to perchase a decoder! I thought this was meant to make life simple. Pah.

*EDIT - yes, it is plugged in.

Does it show any signs of life at all? Like a standby light or anything? Possible the fuse has blown although why is another matter. DVD players shouldn't stop working purely through disuse, at least not over the time period you're referring to.

Sugar Rush, eh? Something you're not telling us Emily? ;)

Seriously though, just get in touch with the shop you bought it from. They may refer you back to the manufacturer but as long as you have proof of purchase it'll get sorted.

BTW, if you don't have the receipt then check your statements for the card transaction.

nowt wrong with Sugar Rush , quality programme

i got a DVD player off my dad that had sat around for a bit , that didn't want to work either , as it was out of warranty and my PS2 plays DVDs i chucked the DVD player away , they are only about £20 down Tescos anyway

Warranty card has nothing to do with it; the goods are clearly "not of merchantable quality" if they've stopped working after being used 4 times (assumes good fuse).

And not much wrong with liking Sugar Rush; fun for all the (broad-minded members of the) family!

Series one of Sugar Rush was better..... apparently.

Emily. Turn off the TV (not just standby) and the DVD player. Thurn on the TV first and select a chanel, say BBC1.

Now turn on the DVD player.

Because it is a scart connection the TV should automatically switch to that input.

if it still fails to work, take it back.

Because it is a scart connection the TV should automatically switch to that input.

:iagree:

although some of the cheaper dvd players dont have the device select pin connected in the scart socket. or also if it is the kind which has the 3 composite connections (yellow,white and red) it wont do it either

The DVD player does not have any lights at all come on. Somebody checked the fuse for me, and they said it was fine.

Not my week really. Bought a jumper and it has done nothing but shed fluff. I am followed everywhere I go with a huge amount of hair.

Also my pizza grew hair 2 days before it was due to :(

Hi E-E, does your DVD player have a counter or anything that might show that it is alive? If nothing at all is showing when you switch it on I would think you have a power problem.

Does the power for your DVD come from a plug in lead (like a radio mains lead with the figure of 8 end) on it? If so, try swapping it for a different one (you will probably have one somewhere in your house. If the mains lead is plugged in to a 4 way mains splitter, try plugging it directly into the wall mains (you don

Emily, I really do worry about you sometimes!!!

Nothing wrong with Sugar Rush, it rules!! Although I remember getting some sarcy comments for watching it in the hotel on the way to Germany! :rolleyes:

I cant believe you rewound a DVD Milly!! PMSL!!!! how long did that take?!?!:rofl:

I only have one scart hole so I just plug in the scart that I need, either the DVD, VHS or the SKY.
You can get manually operated switch boxes (which have 3 SCART inputs, and one SCART output) so that you can leave all of the connections in place - it's easier to press a button than to pull SCART leads out of the back of your TV.

They cost around

Em, You need to buy a copy of What HiFi Sound and Vision, then you can spend all your hard earned English pounds on Surround sound speakers and plasma TV';s to complement yr DVD.