Flashing Glow Plug light after start-up

Car now has 38k on the clock and is almost 3 years old, never had a problem with it, regualry serviced etc.....

The car is still in warranty so I'll book it in asap and in the meantime use the wifes car. I'm not massively worried about the issue, just curious.

Anyone ecountered this before?

Cheers

Des

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It's true - started my car last night (1.9SDi) and the glow plug light started to flash (only for a couple of minutes) :eek:

found this trhead today and got a friend of mine to check the bulbs while i pressed the peddle and hey presto a dead brake light. :D

why didn't Skoda tell anyone that this happens :confused:

new bulb will be purchased on my way home tonight :rofl:

Be careful when replacing the bulb (if that's what's gone). changed my bulb the other day and the clip that holds the light panel in place broke on the lught unit :(

currently held in place by the top section of a 2ltr pop bottle until i can afford a new light unit :rofl:

• 1 month later...

My glow plug light has started flashing to and from work (45 mile trip each way).

90 BHP 2000(w) TDi 105,000 miles.

All lights are working fine, just passed the MOT. Took bulbs out and refitted them, no change still flashing this morning.

Engine slower to start as it is 1 deg C out.

No other problems.

Any ideas?

:o

My glow plug light has started flashing to and from work (45 mile trip each way).

90 BHP 2000(w) TDi 105,000 miles.

All lights are working fine, just passed the MOT. Took bulbs out and refitted them, no change still flashing this morning.

Engine slower to start as it is 1 deg C out.

No other problems.

Any ideas?

:o

Also, how old is your battery?

just had this fixed last month by the dealers: they changed the brake light switch and everything is fine now, iirc they quoted ~£30 for the part however my car is under warranty and this is covered.

The battery is only 2 years old.

Will check the glow plugs later today. One of the glow plugs is open circuit. Will fit a new one tomorrow.

Will take a look at the brake switch as well.

Would a poor battery show up this way?

Tested the glow plugs and found one of them open circuit, will get it replaced tomorrow as rain stopped play.

On the drive home the glow plug light did not flash. The outside temp was 6 deg C.

;818260'']personally the first thing i would do is to go to the garage and get a vagcom check as this will show the faults instantly.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi all

SWMBO had just parked car last night at her parents and the glow plug light started to flash after she parked, called MikeSM56 (who is a top man) and told me what it might be so having a look don;t think my bulbs have blown but when I drove back last night the light went out for about 10 minutes and when I tapped the brakes to slow down a bit to come in a 40mph zone from 70mph the light came back on again, brake lights seem to work fine but will get my dad to check this over.

Is it worth buying a couple of new bulbs in the meantime just before I take it to chathams tomorrow.

Davy

• 4 weeks later...

Mine started flashing on the way home last night. Got my housemate to check the brake lights and non are working so I guess its the brake light switch that's gone.

I checked the bulbs and fuses and they seem fine, although I didn't put the near side bulb in properly so now it's rattling round in the light cluster. :mad: Anyone know an easy way to get it out?

Anyway its booked in for Tuesday so hopefully they'll sort under warranty. The Skoda guy did mutter something about bulbs not being under warranty, but I don't think it can be the bulbs as the eye level light isn't working either.

checked the bulbs and fuses and they seem fine, although I didn't put the near side bulb in properly so now it's rattling round in the light cluster. :mad: Anyone know an easy way to get it out?

I had this problem too.... I got a "mobile mechanic" to change the brake light switch, as for the lost bulb. the only way to get at it, is to use a flexi drive socket (think it is 8 or 10 mm) and remove the rear light cluster..... to do this, you must pull away the lining inside the boot.... there are four nuts in respective corners, be careful, you may lose the nut if it falls out of the socket.... tip..... put a blob of heavy grease in the socket. this should hold the nut until you can get your hand in to secure it.... (also useful when trying to re-locate them for re-fixing the cluster....

Just a point on bulb replacement..... double check with someone that the brake lights are working before replacing the lamp cluster....and daft as it may seem , make sure you put the bulb in the correct way round..... it will still work the wrong way, but will be "on" all the time, like rear fog lights ..... happened to me,.... so it could happen to you... !