Octavia advice needed

Dear all

New to this forum and in need of advice quite quick before i lose my temper and get rid!

Mine is a Sep 99 Slxi petrol estate with standard fit everything. it's done 103k, and has given me all sorts of trouble with various things mostly petty ever since i got it in sep 2002, but has in the main been reliable in terms of the drive. and i do of course feel emotionally attached to it.

Have a list of problems that i need to get done if i'm going to keep the car.

would like to know if people think I should keep it or quit while i'm ahead. and would like an idea on cost as i fear i have developed a habit of getting truly shafted cost-wise getting work done on my car. (no longer take it to the skoda repair garage as i distrust them intensely)

to be done, put estimates i've been given in brackets:

- cam belt and water belt (

Thats cars for you unfortunetly - they cost money to keep on the road - all the items you mention are normal wear and tear items and cost money especially if they all need replacing together. Your car is high milage for any car and is to be expected - unfortuanety you own the car when they need replacing - cant advise on costs but they seem in right area, prices could be reduced if you could do the work yourself. I used to have a 1999 2.0 slx by the way stil as good as the face lift model that succeeeded it.

Best of luck in your repairs, once they are done you should be fine unless you have engine, gearbox or clutch issues to content with

I paid £149 from GSF for the a set of 4 disks (front and rears) and a full set of pads. Got the local garage to change them for me with a brake fluid change for an additional £100, but that was only because I couldn't get the old ones off.

Whoever is quoting that much for the brakes is having a definite giraffe in your loft.

The GSF parts were brembo and pagid too, which IIRC are the same as the OE parts.

£240 for rear discs/pads!!!? Someone's taking you for a ride. Gawd knows how many hours of labour he's included in that. See my recent post re rear discs + pads for £41 (and that includes £12 shipping from Germany!

Dealer price for rear discs should be around £30 each. I don't have the price for pads but £100ish is patently ridiculous. You need to go elsewhere to have your car serviced.

Sounds like you haven't had the best of luck, but the prices you are paying are mad, you need to look elsewhere unless you only have one garage in a 100 mile radius. Even then may be worth a little drive.