Mazda 6 MPS

Royston

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi everybody :)

I'm going the other way from a Mazda 6 to a Octavia Vrs :lol:

Although my 6 is only the 2.0 134Hp Diesel, it is a very nice car.

Had it for coming up to 3 years and it always feels solid and very driveable. The only thing putting me off another is I need a change, and I want the speed of the Vrs (TFSI).

One thing that is worrying me about the Skoda is that dealers don't seem to get such a good write up, and in fact the one I went into today to take my first sit in a VRS was amazingly off putting. Still, can't have everything I suppose.

The Mazda dealers are probably amongst the best I've ever dealt with. I think the instructions from Mazda is to make customers feel important, and this certainly works.

Happy driving if you go the the MPS, it surely is an amazing car.

The Mazda dealers are probably amongst the best I've ever dealt with. I think the instructions from Mazda is to make customers feel important, and this certainly works.

I'm fortunate in that the dealer I use for parts and recently fitting a part for me is a Ford and Mazda dealership and I too was very surprised at how well I was treated (considering what I drive! :rofl:). Probably the best dealer experience I've ever had :D

Chris

excellent news mate, lovely car :)

how does it compare to drive compared with the S4?

it's a lot faster and better handling and superer than the S4. And it makes you look more handsome when driving it!:D

No I decided not to test the S4 as it would have been too tempting.

MPS seems a bit expensive when the 07 EU import Scoobie WRX is £14,250 OTR.

Thats phookin cheap, mind you every man and his dog seem to have them now.

EDIT: Just found this £13,745!!!

New Reg Cars - Buy a discounted new UK Car, nearly new car and used cars with Finance and Part Exchange Available

it's a lot faster and better handling and superer than the S4. And it makes you look more handsome when driving it!:D

No I decided not to test the S4 as it would have been too tempting.

you had me almost at the mazda garage there!!!! :rofl: faster? what than 5.5sec to 60, you had me sold till i read the last sentence :rofl:

lovely choice of car mate, i reckon i will go and see one before i look at an S4 properly:thumbup:

you had me almost at the mazda garage there!!!! :rofl: faster? what than 5.5sec to 60, you had me sold till i read the last sentence :rofl:

lovely choice of car mate, i reckon i will go and see one before i look at an S4 properly:thumbup:

Evo got 5.7 to 60 in their 6MPS

• 2 weeks later...

Hiya Mr Pitt

I'm thinking about changing cars and have narrowed the choice down to the 6MPS or a Volvo S60R, from my current Octavia vRS.

I've done quite a lot of research on both cars, including following your thread on this forum. Just wondered if you have your new toy yet and how your getting on with it? I will be going to look and hopefully test drive the MPS, paying particular attention to cabin noise and rear legroom, especially behind the drivers seat as I'm 6.2 and usually lose this seat due to mine being so far back.

Any thoughts on these two areas?

Cheers Lance

Hiya Mr Pitt

I'm thinking about changing cars and have narrowed the choice down to the 6MPS or a Volvo S60R, from my current Oct vRS.

I've done quite a lot of research on both cars, including following your thread on this forum. Just wondered if you have your new toy yet and how your getting on with it? I will be going to look and hopefully test drive the MPS, paying particular attention to cabin noise and rear legroom, especially behind the drivers seat as I'm 6.2 and usually lose this seat due to mine being so far back.

Any thoughts on these two areas?

Cheers Lance

Hi Lance, I pick up the new car tomorrow morning. The dealer's been a bit busy with March 1st registartions. I actualy looked into a Volvo S60R a few months ago and was quite tempted by the whole package TBH. Plus points were 300BHP and 4WD. Relatively cheap insurance compared to say an Imprezza WRX. Impeccable quality inside and very comfortable, and annonimity as well. The average scrote isn't goig to go out of his way to break into your house to steal the keys to a Volvo.

The bad points were the S60 R is as rare as hens teeth second hand, so prices are wildly inconsistent. The motoring press think that the pre 2005 model is a dog and doesn't handle at all, and fuel economy is worryingly bad. I didn't get chance to drive one, so can't comment on the handling, but I have driven the S60 T5 and whilst it's no sports car, it is very smooth and progressive and a very rapid car when pushed hard.

The 6 MPS has a lot more room in the back than my Octavia, however the rear seats don't fold down. I thoroughly enjoyed the test drive of the MPS and motoring reports would seem to suggest that it's a bit more exciting than the S60R.

As for safety, the MPS has front, side and curtain airbags and some sort of pedal retraction system and front impact "H zone" I suppose that it boils down to image and test drive really.

Got the car on Monday. It's lovely inside and cabin quality is a step up from the Octy. I've just been worrying like mad that it'll get scratched or dinged or someone will try and nick it. The factory fit immobiliser and Thatcham 1 alarm don't seem to alay my fears.:rofl:

I've been taking it easy so far until it's got 1000 miles on it. I've had my foot down on a couple of occasions and it is a very fast car compared to the standard Octy vRS. The comfort level inside and the quiet cabin somehow mask the feeling of speed though. You can feel the shove in your back and see the blur from the side windows, but its hard to get used to the increase in power without the noise and drama of the Octavia.

The driving position is great and the rake/ reach wheel and multi directional electric drivers seat makes it easy to find the right position for you. The steering is a lot more pointy and gives a better impression of what the front wheels are up to. Cornering seems flatter and more direct than the Octy however the 18" wheels and sports suspension let you know about every bump and ridge in the road. The comfortable seats are a bonus though.

Aparently there's a load of electronic gimickery which sends power back and forth between the front and back wheels and an LSD, and 3 different modes depending how you drive, but none of it intrudes into the driving experience. It has a 6 speed box which I'm still getting used to. The first two gear ratios are so close together I wonder if there's a point to having 6 gears. It pulls amazingly well in 3rd up to 6th. And keeps on going.

I had a little test of the acceleration today and got a bit concerned after 120mph. The back end sits down and the steering becomes a little light. I wonder if the car would benefit from a more prominent front splitter.

All in all, very impressed. Once I get used to the gearbox and stop worrying about the car being damaged or stolen, and get a few miles on the clock to loosen the engine up then I think it will be a commendable vehicle. The only drawback is the engine note. It sounds like a ferkin hairdryer!

...........I had a little test of the acceleration today and got a bit concerned after 120mph. The back end sits down and the steering becomes a little light. I wonder if the car would benefit from a more prominent front splitter.

................. The only drawback is the engine note. It sounds like a ferkin hairdryer!

You should have taken on to 120+ at the test drive stage :rofl:

And if you think that sounds like a hair dryer, try an RX8 !

• 4 months later...

I'm enjoying the Mazda experience I must say.

Interesting comment from the Technician who did my service.Asked him what it was like working for Mazda.

'Bit boring really,they never go wrong'....hope he is right:thumbup:

I'm enjoying the Mazda experience I must say.

Interesting comment from the Technician who did my service.Asked him what it was like working for Mazda.

'Bit boring really,they never go wrong'....hope he is right:thumbup:

Ooo...that's good.;)

• 1 year later...