Control system for exhaust gases warning light

cokey

Whilst out in the car yesterday, the control system for exhaust gases warning light displayed on the dashboard. I called my local dealer and took the car in a couple of hours later.

I was told that they would need to have it for a day to further explore the problem. Then, as I drove off the forecourt, the light went out!

Has anyone else had this warning light come on and what causes it?

I'm still of a mind to take it in even though the light has gone out just in case any damage has been caused.

I would get it looked at may be a faulty sensor.

A few months ago whilst having something done under warranty I was asked whether the emissions light had come on as there appeared to be a faulty sensor. A day later the sensor came on as I drove off. It took a month for the new sensor to come in to be fitted. A short while after fitting it the same light came on again so it went back to the garage for another order. Whilst there they did something which was meant to override the light whilst waiting for the part to come in - but the light still came back on but with no loss of power. The car is going back to the dealers next week to have the new sensor fitted. Hopefully this will sort it out though by now I'm not holding my breath on the reliability of these sensors.

Find somebody near you to read the codes with VAG-COM.

That way you will see any codes logged which will give you a ball park on what sort of price you will be looking at for a repair. If you car isn't in warrenty you could get an indy garage to do the work if it is something not too complex. If your car is under warrenty you know what codes were logged if the dealer says nowt wrong mate.

Th

• 2 weeks later...

I had this happen to me today.

Went on a reasonably long trip (around 160 miles) everthing was fine. Parked up and then took the car to the shops. After leaving the shops the exhaust gas light was on so I drove home slowly turned the car off and back on and now the light has gone out.

Took the car for a spin and it seems ok just a little concerned as to what the actual problem is and should I visit my dealer. Any suggestions?

In case anyone thinks it is down to fuel it has 1/3 tank of V-power which is what it has run since last November.

Car is fine now thanks Stu. :thumbup:

There wasn't a whole lot of difference but then again I wasn't really in a position to test it on the way down.

If it was in 'limp' mode then it must have been a 'performance' one. :eek:

• 8 months later...

I have recently bought a Mk2 Octavia Tdi and the same light came on. (control system for exhaust gases) I took it back to the dealer and he said he replaced something to do with an exhaust valve (sorry I'm not very technical) but when I got home it came on again. I have to take it back again. As far as I know it's a problem with these cars!

Hi everybody. My name's Leslie and this is my 1st attempt at a posting although I have replied to one. I have tried to post a thread but the system keeps telling me that I'm not logged in when I go to submit it so please forgive me for being in the reply to a thread section. I have a Mk2 Octavia Tdi and the control system for exhaust gases light has come on again. I have had the garage where I bought it look at it and he said he replaced some part of a valve (sorry I'm not very technical) but it has come back on again. Does anyone know what it is and why it's such a problem on these cars?

I think on the diesels an engine management light means something different.

If there is someone local with VAG-COM they would be able to tell you what the problem is. If not it is back to the dealer I am afraid.

There are some know problems with the TDi if it's fitted with a DPF and does short journey's.

You should take it back to them and tell them you would like it fixing or if it's really bugging you call out Skoda Assist.

I have recently bought a Mk2 Octavia Tdi and the same light came on. (control system for exhaust gases) I took it back to the dealer and he said he replaced something to do with an exhaust valve (sorry I'm not very technical) but when I got home it came on again. I have to take it back again. As far as I know it's a problem with these cars!
A similar thing happened with my 1.9TDi. I took it in but they didn't have the valve in stock so they did something to clear the warning light, which came back on within a mile of driving off. The dealer said they would ring when the new valve was in stock but they never did. The light was on for 6 weeks. It went out on the 2nd tankful of Total Excellium Diesel (3p/litre more than their normal diesel) which I had decided to try beccause of the improved MPG claims. The warning light has stayed off so far (3 months) but I'm now going to switch back to normal supermarket diesel as the price at my local Total garage has gone uncompetitive recently. It will be interesting to see if the warning light comes back on. Of course it may just have been a coinicidence that it went of when I switched to the premium diesel.

My 2.0 TDI VRS has the same problem at the moment. Faulty sensor. Took it in the other day, and now waiting for the dealer to get one in. They also tried to fix the remote boot release peoblem and now the boot doesn't shut correctly! The rattle they fixed on the door is now twice as bad too! I'm chuffed!

Cheers!

Took my VRS TDI (1st reg April 2007) to Oxford from Worthing on Saturday. Drove reasonably fast the whole journey (certainly not dawdling anyway) On the way home I booted the car away from a roundabout. There was a power surge followed by a stutter and hesitation as the engine went into 'limp to a garage mode'.

The glow plug light came on and then intermittently for the rest of a frustrating journey home.

The following day, hoping alll may have cleared, the engine management light came on suggesting a fault with the exhaust system?.

This is the first time I have used the car for four weeks so I am NOT impressed. Is this a sign of things to come?

Car is in Rivervale Brighton today to be looked at. I have just been told it was an unspecified light activation which has been cleared but they can't give me a reason for the warning lights coming on in the first place?

I dont think this will be my last post on this subject somehow in fact, upon reading other posts on here, I might put a wager on the light coming on before I get home?

Sure enough, the light came on less than quarter of a mile from the garage. I returned immediately and the light was extinguished by the garage again and yes it came on again on the drive home together with the engine in limp mode. Rivervale tell me that the diadnostic machine doesn't tell them what the fault is so they need to consult with their technical dept before any progress can be made. They would also like the car for several days in order to properly invstigate the cause of the light activation. Arggghhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sure enough, the light came on less than quarter of a mile from the garage. I returned immediately and the light was extinguished by the garage again and yes it came on again on the drive home together with the engine in limp mode. Rivervale tell me that the diadnostic machine doesn't tell them what the fault is so they need to consult with their technical dept before any progress can be made. They would also like the car for several days in order to properly invstigate the cause of the light activation. Arggghhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe get someone with VagCom to see what the fault is.

Rivervale have spoken to the Tech Dept @ VAG and have now ordered some sort of valve which is fitted in the exaust system just before the diesel particulate filter. I am a bit concerned having read other contributions on this thread that this may not cure the fault on my car. As it is all under warranty, I will just have to let them get on with it.

Update to follow when part has been fitted.

Car back in Rivervale today for some sort of exaust sensor to be replaced. Latest news is that this didn't rectify all the faults as one or other light remains on. I am now told that they are confident that they know exactly what the fault is but they want to keep the car overnight to effect the the repairs with replacement parts tommorrow? I wonder what widget they will try this time:thumbdwn:

• 4 weeks later...
A similar thing happened with my 1.9TDi. I took it in but they didn't have the valve in stock so they did something to clear the warning light, which came back on within a mile of driving off. The dealer said they would ring when the new valve was in stock but they never did. The light was on for 6 weeks. It went out on the 2nd tankful of Total Excellium Diesel (3p/litre more than their normal diesel) which I had decided to try beccause of the improved MPG claims. The warning light has stayed off so far (3 months) but I'm now going to switch back to normal supermarket diesel as the price at my local Total garage has gone uncompetitive recently. It will be interesting to see if the warning light comes back on. Of course it may just have been a coinicidence that it went of when I switched to the premium diesel.

After 8 tankfulls of ordinairy diesel the Emmisions Workshop warning message and light has come on again. The car was already booked in for a service on Friday coming so it will be interesting to see what they say about that. If its still on after the service I'm going to switch back to the premium stuff to see if that makes the light go off.

The car was already booked in for a service on Friday coming so it will be interesting to see what they say about that.
The dealer replaced the EGR unit under warranty. The emision light has stayed off so far on the short journey home.:)

• 1 month later...
The dealer replaced the EGR unit under warranty. The emision light has stayed off so far on the short journey home.:)

I was mistaken, the EGR valve wasn't replaced - only cleaned. The warning light then came back on again about a week later.:(

Today the EGR valve was actually replaced :)