Tyres opinions for Octavia RS 1.8T

Hello Guys, my name`s is Antonio, I`m from Portugal and I`m one of the 25 owners of Octavia`s RS 1.8 T of all country.

My car has almost 6 years and 65000 Km and I never changed the Tyres ( Michelin Pilot Sport 205/50/ZR17 )

Now I need to buy a new ones but I don`t know what should do...

I`m thinking to put 225/45/17, but I would like to know your experiences...

Which tyres do you prefer ? I`m thinking in Eagle F1 GSD3, Bridgestone RE050A, Dunlop SP Sport Maxx or Continental Sport Contact 2.

What about the consumption, ussualy my average is 9,7 lt /100 Km.

* CLIX - Radical

Thanks in advance

Alot of people recommend the F1's or Toyos.

Ive got Toyos on my vRS at the moment but having come from 2 Pilot Premacy's and 2Wanli's it always was going to be a massive improvement :D

Goodyear F1`s for grip... but if you want a little better wear rate try Pirelli rossos/neros

Pirelli in my opinion is the better tyre:rolleyes: oh 225/45/17 by the way

Phil

I will be due for new tyres fairly soon and have been reading the threads with great interest and a huge amount of ignorance.

Currently I have 205/55/16 Michelin Pilot Primacy (91W) but the choice in replacements is so enormous I now feel confused. How on earth do you work out which is the best tyre to go for?

Would personally avoid the Conti Sport II's! I had Pilot Sports on my car and thought they were good (stupidly replaced them with Primacies :( ), but I really rate the Falken 452's I have now. Budget prices, but masssive amounts of grip in wet and dry and nice stiff sidewalls which make it less squirmy through the twisty bits :D

Chris

Agreed - Pilot Primacies are with Dunlops in the "replace as soon as they wear out (which isn't a long mileage IME) class".

Further info for Star - I had 205/55x16W Primacies on the back of mine, and am nearly as pleased to have seen the back of them as I am of the Dunlops from the front. I'm presently on Toyo Proxes T1-Rs, and now know that the car will turn in when I turn it!

I have Toyo Proxes T1R on my vRS which have lasted nearly 40,000 miles. I can't fault them and have just ordered another set.

I think i need to take a look at my driving, i've killed a set of front toyos in 7000 miles but i must say they are by far the best tyre i've used, exceptional wet grip!!

Star - That's what I've got, and within a pound or so a corner of what I paid last October (inc fitting, balancing, new valves, and disposal of old tyres).

Manny, I'd change all 4 when changing size like that; if you don't then you must fit the wider tyres to the rear wheels, and treat the spare as an emergency tyre unless you uprate it too.

Dean - I can't kill anything but Dunlops that quick, but no way could I manage 40_000 miles from a set of tyres either!

Dean - I can't kill anything but Dunlops that quick, but no way could I manage 40_000 miles from a set of tyres either!

Its easy to get 40,000 from a set of Toyo's. Six points that will help you keep that expensive rubber on the wheels and off the road.

1. Be an old git like me.

2. A need to keep my driving license.

3. Have a small child

4. Mostly motorway miles.

5. Swap wheels from to back to even wear rate.

6. Don't drive like a complete and utter TW@tT:silly:!

Wow! Thats better. Just had my Toyo T1R Proxes replaced with the same rubber and Oh how you forget how good a new tyre is as opposed to one that has done 40,000 miles. The car is now quieter, more compliant and most importantly, goes round corners without deviating via the hedge.

So as a top tip - if you are dithering and can't decide which brand to go for, don't, because whichever you choose it will be better than the old rubber you are currently running that is close to or below the legal minimum. :thumbup: