rust on vrs :S

ruku

after my dad cleaned his 05 plate Vrs today, he called me out to check his paintwork, funnily enough there are loads of tiny patches of rust on the bonnet, side wings and doors.

you cant feel any signs of stone chips which may have caused it but rather upon inspection looks like its coming from underneath.

the car is under warranty and iv suggested he takes it down to the dealer.

has anyone else heard of anything like this?

cheers

Not at all. They do suffer really bad from stone chips around the front but rust :eek: :eek:

Sounds like the paint is porous or their was moisture in the air when sprayed. Take it back!

Ouch. I found rust on mine but it was a tiny bit on the weld about 8mm long up near where the rear numberplate lights are. The dealer fixed it under warranty.

When I took it in the bodyshop said they'd not seen any rust on a Fabia before, only on the Octavia estates. Not sure if that's 100% true as I've heard of tailgate rust on the Fabia before, but hey ho.

This sounds as if it could be some sort of airborne pollution. I remember seeing loads of brand new cars unloaded from a train, and they were covered with tiny rust spots. Turned out it was to caused by tiny bits of metal dust coming off the overhead cables and sticking to the paint. Then they went rusty. Quickly cured by washing the cars in some sort of mild acid wash - oxalic acid- if I remember correctly

Same thing can occur if the car is parked regularly near a railway i.e in a station car park. When the trains brake, iron filings come off and can land on cars and cause a similar effect to the one described.

Same thing can occur if the car is parked regularly near a railway i.e in a station car park. When the trains brake, iron filings come off and can land on cars and cause a similar effect to the one described.

Yep. We know about that one, don't we??!!

Picky!!

Thats what I meant!

It doesn't make the bodywork rust but can have a nasty effect on paintworkk though.

Having said that, the FALLOUT in the atmosphere around that area did manage to eat through the chrome on the exhaust on my Dad's motorbike in a fairly short space of time. That was a few years ago now and it's supposed to be a lot cleaner than it was (unless there's a leak).

Yeh, DM Keith now own the Huddersfield (or what was) the Huddersfield branch of Lightcliffe.

They were telling us in DM Keith at the weekend though that there is a 10 year warantee on the the body (we're looking at getting a vRS at the moment) so whatever is wrong with it should get fixed for nothing??

That's right. 10 year perforation warranty. The Fabia simply SHOULD NOT rust unless damaged and not properly repaired. Also, make sure your stone chips are well touched up too. Basically I think they want to see that you've taken care of your car.

Makes it easier to get the claim approved if your car is otherwise tidy.

Funny that this question has come up as i noticed the exact same rusty kind of mark on my vrs the other day while washing it. There is a small mark about 2mm round on the front wing. You can't feel the inperfection on the paintwork but its definatly a small spot of rust that looks like its forming under the paint?

My car was also purchased brand new so i know it hasn't had any knocks or paint in its life. its only a year old too. I am just going to keep and eye on. If it gets any worse it will be straight back to the garage to get it sorted.

Why just keep an eye on it? Get it booked in ASAP. Skoda may say that you've known about it for a while and question your procrastination.

It's free....it's covered under warranty. Book it in.

The sills on the rear o/s of my silver Fabia on the "inside" of the car (where the door shuts onto) seems to have flecks of rust in the paint, or coming through. This is not caused by chips as it is not on the outside, & the car does not look like it has been repainted. If it was a darker colour I probably wouldn't have noticed. TBH, I can't be bothered to go to a dealer to look at it, I don't think it will get any worse.

if the pannels havent been protected with a wax oil then rust is definatly possible within a month of bad wet weather! take it to the dealers it will be covered under waranty! normally if you live on the coast the salty mist will rust any car pritty quick!