towbar bypass wiring

green beard

Hi, looking for a bit of knowledge regarding tow bar wiring on vrs (yes i know about the licensing stuff). Had a bar fitted today by a certain firm in the northwest? And was charged more money due to having to bypass the blown lamp indicator system. I'm fine with that if its true but my bull**** detector was beginning to beep.

I haven't read anything like this on any other threads.

Car is new 56plate, reg jan 07.

Cheers, Bryan.:confused:

I'm assuming you mean Fabia here.

The little box of tricks you mention is normally required but isn't very expensive.

Have a look at the towsure website I think they have descriptions.

New octavia has can bus wiring which means you have to use relays, not just patch in to the light feeds, hence additional cost.

Wiring from a canadian bus? That does sound technical!

Joking aside there is definiteley relay noise when indicating (from the back of car somewhere) that wasn't there before so that seems to be right.

TBH they done a good job I just needed to check out what they were saying as not heard anything like it before.

Thanks a lot, B.:thumbup:

I'm assuming you mean Fabia here.

The little box of tricks you mention is normally required but isn't very expensive.

Have a look at the towsure website I think they have descriptions.

Whoops, missed that bit out.

Yes Fabia.

Along with box of tricks relays etc they mentioned running wires upto dash too (fuse box).

Towsure, should have known, me mum always goes there!

Anyway this was North West Towbar centre in Stockport.

They only need to go to the dash if you have had twin sockets fitted and they need to use the power from the main circuit.

£25 is fair for the unit IIRC - Been a while since I fitted one.

No it's just a single socket to accomodate a bike rack (so I'm not actually towing)

Anyway thanks for the help, I'm gonna stop worrying about it and go enjoy myself in Snowdonia with my bike.

Cheers, B.:)

P.S. could you please tell me what IIRC stands for and is there an abbreviations dictionary on here?

P.S. could you please tell me what IIRC stands for and is there an abbreviations dictionary on here?
IIRC IIRC means if I recall correctly. HTH. :)

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/roadside-hotel/forum-abbreviations/40053/

...which points you to...

Acronym and abbreviation dictionary: Find out what over 4,155,000 abbreviations, acronyms, and initialisms stand for

Went back to the towbar people today to get a number plate and quizzed them a little about the "rewiring".

They said it all depends on the car and you need to send signal back to the dash so the system doesn't get confused.:rofl:

Anyway the relays are a bit noisy so they wrapped it all up in sticky back foam which has worked a little so have to thank them for that and they said come back for more if not quiet enough (might just take them up on that).

Honestly, if they didn't bull**** you in the first place they wouldn't end up digging themselves into a hole.

I've had a look myself tonight and its as you would expect: connect relay unit tothe switched lives, then connect permanent live (for to be switched to the right pins on the tow socket) add ground wire.

I'm doing this myself next time!!!

Pulled a bulb out and blown lamp system works fine.

Thanks again, Bryan.

Oh, Denis is LOOB in the acronyms list (load of old bo****ks) could have used it for this one!