Crunch on octavia gearbox when cold

Does anyone else have this problem???.. My T reg 1600 Octy lx runs like a dream and I love driving it, (Much more comfortable and smoother than the tdi110 that I have), But when It is cold the gearbox crunches when I go from 1st gear to 2nd, It goes into 2nd easy enough but with a slight crunch, But If i take it slowly and gently it wont crunch. When the car gets warmed up after say 2 mins It no longer crunches at tall. The car was previously owned by an elderly gentlman around 70-80 and does run well. Is this something to be concerned about as It is a 2nd car but I intend to keeping it for sometime as its only got 76k on the clock and only paid a grand for it!! Anyone any ideas??? Is it a common fault on this year octy?? Many thanks Chris

It only does it from 1st to 2nd and only when cold, I havent changed the gearbox oil I thought they were sealed for life (as such), I have bought some molyslip to add to the gearbox dont know whether that will work!!

It only does it from 1st to 2nd and only when cold, I havent changed the gearbox oil I thought they were sealed for life (as such), I have bought some molyslip to add to the gearbox dont know whether that will work!!

In the first place the gearbox isn't "sealed for life"; there's a drain plug on the underside.

Secondly do not put Molyslip (or any friction reducer) into a synchromesh gearbox, because they rely on friction to synchronise the gear speeds.

Finally, when changing, use a good quality EP gear oil. Cheezemonkai's already made a recommendation.

Mine doesn't crunch but can be clunky between 1st & 2nd. I put it down to it being cold, after a couple fo miles it's fine. Don't notice it so much in the summer only the winter.

Hi

Its a gearbox oil recommendation and a seller recommendation too.

Oil: Silkolene Silktran SYN 5 (Fully Synthetic)

Seller: Opie Oils. Never had a problem with these guys. Speedy delivery. I keep going back to them. Check out their website Opie Oils

My does this intermitently - I booked it in at the dealer fot them to look at it the other week but when the day came it was fine so I called to cancel. 2 days later it was the same again. Might have to get it booked in to be checked after all...

Guest musky
My 4X4's gearbox has had and still has a similar problem since I bought the car with 1500 miles on the clock.

1st to 2nd is and has always been a pig from new on my 4x4. Took it back a couple of times - oil changed twice (once told by main dealer that another main dealer had put the wrong oil in:thumbdwn: ) adjusted cables, gets better for a short while then just the same. I was going to get more stroppy but I tried a different 4x4 and it was worse:eek: so I put up with it. Odd that they dont seem to like going up but coming down the box is no problem.