288mm Discs and Calipers

Just upgraded my 256mm brakes by putting on new 130 ASZ hubs, 288 discs and calipers from a Fab Vrs. Noticed that when all done i pumped the brakes and they went hard, but there was some drop in pedal when i pushed again:confused: Took her out for a spin and in all honesty i was expecting more feel - perhaps firmer brakes. My mate reckons that because i used a low mileage secound habd set of discs/pads, that they'll need to bed in again as we cant guarantee that the same pads went onto the same disc. Whats your thoughts on this guys?

if the pads were put on a different side from what they were originally , then yes the will require bedding in again , also there may be a right way and a wrong way of fitting the pads i.e. they are handed , not sure on that though

dunno if your using the discs im thinking of, but they were a few k more than 10?!

my standard brakes were a bit pish, they lacked power and the pedal seemed to move awfully quickly. now its all resolved - phone nick and spend £150. it will make you smile

I find the brakes on my VRS very good and have plenty of feel and bite to them. I have the OES discs and mintex extreme pads fitted. They are much better than the original pads supplied by Skoda and the car pulls up firmly and the brakes dont fade either. Could be that you have low quality pads fitted? Might be worth a change to fit some uprated ones and you will notice a big difference in stopping power!

The change wouldn't give you any firmer brake pedal unless your old fluid was in need of changing

The larger diameter should give a little more bite

After reading some of the reviews I was a little worried that I needed to immediatley upgrade from my standard 288 before buying the car and nearly had some Audi TT brakes bought ready and waiting before I had the car.

Glad I didn't as I was pleasantly surprised how well the brakes work

My car has standard VW Ferodo manufactured replacements in it and I am pleased.

If you do want to upgrade the lining material I would sugest sidestepping any Mintex compounds that are really not too clever nowadays and go to Ferodo DS2500

in my opinion the 288mm set up on the fabia dose not have a lot of feel to it i am not impresed with the brakes on my vrs will be changing them soon

i have been moaning about the brakes on the vRS Fabia since I owned

the car ........ but have to admit they seemed to have improved recently

11500 mile now .... maybe I am getting used to them .... but I still think

they do not match the overall performance of the car in general ......

I hope the 2008 vrs is sorted in the brake department ..... cos if it looks

any thing like the pictures especially the colour of blue with white roof and

white wheels :thumbup:

The TT upgrade is worth it, gives a little more feel, I had Lucas calipers on my Ibiza sport to begin with and dad's VRS brakes had the better caliper, although mine are better now his were better than my standard ones.

Some of you might have Lucas calipers??

dunno if your using the discs im thinking of, but they were a few k more than 10?!

my standard brakes were a bit pish, they lacked power and the pedal seemed to move awfully quickly. now its all resolved - phone nick and spend