Celox tuning chip problem - 1.9TDI PD

Hi,

I recently fitted a tuning chip (resistor box) to my Octavia Tour 1.9tdi that plugs into the fuel temp sensor, really boosts performance and helps fuel economy but the engine light has come on twice during the last 800 miles! Ecu had logged malfunction with fuel temp sensor each time.

Has any one else had the same problem? Celox say it's ok to drive with this light on for good as long as there's no lose in performance. Is this normal with tuning chips?

:( have you any comments?

It isn't right and your engine isn't running properly with it in. The engine is picking up that the fuel temperature reading isn't correct, this is because the cheapo resistor is messing things up.

Moral of the story either get a reputable digital tuning box, a remap or don't bother.

It isn't right and your engine isn't running properly with it in. The engine is picking up that the fuel temperature reading isn't correct, this is because the cheapo resistor is messing things up.

Moral of the story either get a reputable digital tuning box, a remap or don't bother.

Thanks for your comments, I'll now try and return the chip for a refund.

• 2 weeks later...

How much did they charge you for it, and where are the company based?

If they are UK based you could take them to the small claims court or just use that government website to extract the cash from them assuming it is above the minimum amount.

The product you bought is just a resistor that makes the car think it is colder than it is, so over fuelling it and potentially causing all sorts of problems.

If it causes the warning light to come on, it isn't suitable and if they said it was a chip they may have lied. It certainly isn't a remap and I am pretty certain you could get them on trade descriptions act.

Also legally if they are in the UK, there can NOT be no warrenty, and if new the item has to be fit for purpose for a period of 1 year minimum I believe.

CM's pretty much summed up the law, except that the goods must be "fit for purpose for a reasonable period", rather than for a fixed duration.

You are indeed right there, but I was under the impression that a reasonable period was a minimum of 1 year.

Either way you might want to point that fact out to them and then get trading standards involved if they don't play ball.

Yeah, if the next 60 people to think of buying one of these resistors would like to send me their tenners instead, I guarantee to achieve a 30bhp power gain for my car, the next time I'm near Star or Awesome!

Yeah, if the next 60 people to think of buying one of these resistors would like to send me their tenners instead, I guarantee to achieve a 30bhp power gain for my car, the next time I'm near Star or Awesome!

Anyone want a group buy on the resistors and some heat shrink next time I'm at maplin :rofl:

For the DIY approach you only need a 160 ohm resistor - kink the wires and push into the harness - but this type of 'Tuning' is not recommended and certainly not for anything other than a short term quick and dirty boost.

As others have said better to get a Digital Box if want something that works, doesn't screw the engine and can be quickly removed off if needed

How much did they charge you for it, and where are the company based?

If they are UK based you could take them to the small claims court or just use that government website to extract the cash from them assuming it is above the minimum amount.

The product you bought is just a resistor that makes the car think it is colder than it is, so over fuelling it and potentially causing all sorts of problems.

If it causes the warning light to come on, it isn't suitable and if they said it was a chip they may have lied. It certainly isn't a remap and I am pretty certain you could get them on trade descriptions act.

Also legally if they are in the UK, there can NOT be no warrenty, and if new the item has to be fit for purpose for a period of 1 year minimum I believe.

Hi,

the company is UK based, and I paid

The cure for the problem is that their resistor is too high a value and is dropping the value so much that the coolant temp sensor is going out of the 'viable range'.

I am fairly certain you can have them under the trade descriptions act and would be contacting trading standards on point of principle.

If they called it a "Tuning Chip" you definitely have them as it is almost certainly just a resistor and that isn't a chip!

If you don't get anywhere and give up, feel free to open up the box and take a picture of the resistor inside. I am sure we can let you know which resistor to buy to replace it with.

Hi,

Due to the conflicting information on the ebay listing and their advice via email they have decided to reconsider their earlier decision regarding no warranty = no refund. I shall wait and see what their answer is and then let you know.

I did a quick search on google and found the company OK. However, they don't really let on where they operate from other than selling through ebay. Another entry from google gave me this link which makes some interesting reading Need advise how to Install a mod chip - .:ImprezaSport.net Forums:.

Thanks - that Subaru forum pretty much sums up the Celox tuning chip!

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I just want to let you know that Celox have agreed to accept the tuning chip back for a refund, it's taken almost two months and many emails to get this far.

Seems like they try to ignore your emails and hope you'll give up complaining then forget about it.

My advice to any other members unfortunate enough to have purchased a tuning chip from them and pursuing a complaint is to keep and print out all emails sent and received. As I eventually had to post paper copies of all correspondence to them to get this far.

thanks to all members who replied to my posting.

• 1 month later...

Celox have refused to refund me for the tuning chip I returned under warranty on the grounds that the connector plug is broken (they claim).

I think this is probably their standard reply to anyone returning a tuning chip for a warranty claim.

Those of you familiar with the VW type connectors will know that you must press a thumb tab to disconnect them.

Celox have assembled their module boxes with the connector tight against the box with no space to press the thumb tab, so once it's fitted to the vehicle it's very difficult to remove without breaking the locking tab.

I managed to remove mine by inserting a small electrical screw driver through the square opening on the connector housing and easing up the locking tab.

In order to obtain a refund I have asked them to consider deducting the cost of a new connector from my refund (VW part number 1JO 973 702)

1) Get their registered address from Companies House.

2) Send them a registered letter stating that you consider the damage to have been due to poor design, and advising them that if you do not recieve a full refund, including postage costs (include the cost of the registered letter) with 28 days, you will raise a small claims action against them.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Ken,

thanks for the advice, but Celox Performance is not listed in Companies House, but I do already have a UK address for them.

Communication with them is slow, my first correspondence with them was 6th April and most the recent was 3rd July to which I have not yet had a reply.

Perhaps it's time to end my polite requests for a refund and take some firm action?