Sympathy please!

How unlucky?

I tried to book my car into JBS for a new cam belt a couple of weeks ago, but they had too much on. Thinking we might go camping over the bank holiday I booked it in for tomorrow. 30,000 miles ahead of the VAG recommendation, and erring on the side of caution to account for the way I drive and the mods JBS have made. Also bearing in mind my local dealer said they'd recommend changing it at the next service. Guess what happened on the Friday night drive home to go camping! Could cost me up to

What a nightmare! I notice you are in York, which dealer is it at? If it's the one I'm thinking (which deals in other brands too) then I know exactly why it's not your preferred one! I hope it's not too expensive :(

My VRS belt snapped before i got the car and was taken to Pulleyn's. They did a good job. They replaced cylinder head the piston rings and conrod shells too (had 70,000 on clock) .Runs like new at 94,000miles.The receipt was about

92,700. 51 reg.!

had the cambelt already been changed. IIRC it should have been done at the recommended 60K or 4 years, this has been skodas change interval for a few years now. It was originally around 120K miles, but due to failures they changed it.

My VRS belt snapped before i got the car and was taken to Pulleyn's. They did a good job. They replaced cylinder head the piston rings and conrod shells too (had 70,000 on clock) .Runs like new at 94,000miles.The receipt was about

Hope it fixes ok.I have just bought my first Octavia VRS,it had 44k on, and after looking at the service intervals it was unclear weather the cam belt change was at 4 years and 70000 miles or 4 years and 101000k.So i had a full service and a cambelt done 2 months early,big cost and big heart out to you.I used Barkers Motor Group of Hull and they were great. Best of luck with the car from now on.

Sorry to hear your bad luck mate, i should be picking up a octy vrs next week done 49k with no cam belt change, i was going to get it done at around 60k! But i keep reading threads like these and im starting to worry now! The car is a 01 May have to get it done sooner i see jabba can do it for

Is the cambelt a big job on the mk1 Octy SDI ? ie, an expensive one?

Mines on 56k just now, but isn't due its next service till 63k. I *might* have to get the belt done before the next service i think. Plus, i'm waiting on my bdge and plate coming though for taxi-ing so it'd be a proper nightmare if the engine decided to chew on its cambelt... Bearing in mind i've just spent over