VRS Remap horror stories?

Hi all.

I know this is probably a bad question to ask, but are there any horror stories on the forum where a remap has gone wrong? I have read about engine mounts breaking and things, but is this common with a remap?

I have seen a company called Angel Tuning (I Cant get the link to show the site it just puts this>) Chip Tuning VW, BMW, Audi and Alfa Romeo - Angel Tuning which looks to give good results. They will even take the remap off for a service.

My Vrs is about 6 months old with 5k on the clock. I am was happy to stick with the standard car for now, but I am just puttung some feelers out. I want to increase the power and do all the usual springs and ARB stuff. Im not interested in changing the sound with Exhaust and inductions kits etc.... I am assuming the remap will change the sound slightly?

This recent interest has came from a drive following a friend down to mid Wales along A&B roads, He was in an Audi TT 1.8 turbo, and I was able to keep up with him. he was quicker pulling away rom lights and things, but I was easily able to keep up when overtaking. Made me feel good :) I was thinking if I had a tiny bit more poke, I could have shown him who was boss. hehe. I dont think he was trying to hard to loose me tho...

No horror story here I'm afraid. :)

We currently have two Tdi's, my Golf PD130 & SWMBO's Fabia PD100 both have been remapped by Angel Tuning with fantastic results on both and absolutely no problems to report. So if you are considering using them I'd give them 10/10 . :thumbup:

Funny that I was just looking at the Angel tuning website!

I was gonna take the plunge and have the vRS remapped, and was looking at Jabba sport as lots of people recommend them, but they are only base din peterborough, so too far away. I had come across angel tuning because they have a base in South Wales and looked a tidy price.

I think it would be good if you went and got yours remapped with them and let me know how it went!!!

I might* have had my car remapped by angle tuning, and if i had have had my car mapped by them the service was great, they they might have come to my place of work and took just a couple of hours, even put some fuel addative in to clean the injectors.

Highly recommended and the cars not put a foot wrong, dont get any clutch slip either. 2006 55plate vRS with now 33k on the clock, might have been remapped now for 8k or so. Bloody cheap too.

Do it, you wont regret it!

Not had it on the rollers yet, but i dont need to, i know its faster now :)

I bought my car new, ran it in for 7000 miles then re mepped using Angeltuning.

Ive now done 28000 miles, no problems apart from a grin when you push the throttle:D :D

They come to you, and will revert it back for about

Celtic Tuning map and I got a f*cked turbo :thumbup:

...same happened to Shifty. Coincidence? Infact I think he's whole engine is now FUBAR.

:eek: i had mine booked in with them last week but couldnt get time off work to get it done glad i didnt now

:eek:

Its hard to say how remapping effects the overall longevity of the car really. I'm sure i've had stuff wear out quicker than i would if the car was standard - clutch and fly namely. Then again, I thrash mine a fair bit. My old Leon 20vt had revo 55K ago, and my GF has it now - no problem at all and its on 70K+.

It is a case of you pay your money & you take your chances.

You could be one of the unlucky very few and have serious problems, or 1 of the majority & get no problems.

I personally would go for a personalised remap, and not a 1 click / superchips type, where they just ' raise the settings '.

good luck with whatever you choose.

Get a custom remap from any of the site sponsers and get them to easy off the torque below 3Krpm.

Good advice, although a lot of providers of 'custom' maps, don't provde true custom maps for stage 1 cars. Other option is to avoid booting it below 2000 revs in 4th, and 2500 in 5th/6th.

I think Jabba have done other 'mild' tunes on request - e.g. limit to 160 bhp...

hehe, well all positive for Angel...

Damnit you guys, I was looking for a reason not to do it :)

It will be a few months away yet. but it looks like I am going to get it done.

Chris22 I will post again after I get it. If you can hold out that long ;) If not, I will look out for your report.

Cheers all.

Its hard to say how remapping effects the overall longevity of the car really.

I work for a main dealer (not Skoda) where we do get a fair amount of chipped/mapped diesels in. We had a Tech. Bulletin released not too long ago, stating that, If an engine needs to be replaced, it goes back to factory to be stripped, and they can (apparently) tell if the engine in question has ever been chipped. What they look for, i dont know, but they say they can tell...

:eek: i had mine booked in with them last week but couldnt get time off work to get it done glad i didnt now

:eek:

Search Search Search Search Search ... :P

In all honesty, before taking the plunge, you need reviews from people. Do not be taken into the plunge by big HP figures etc.

hehe, well all positive for Angel...

Chris22 I will post again after I get it. If you can hold out that long ;) If not, I will look out for your report.

Cheers all.

I got a feeling I will be posting the report up first!!! (and hopefully a good 1)

as for longevity , I will be doing 100k in the fiat , so I'll let you know! lol..

however, due to nature of my job, I checked how often I use that extra power, and I figure its about 2% of the time, so I'm not worried ;)

probably the ERG valve, which leaks under sustained abuse, the clutch or the DM flywheel. I'd imagine all will suffer the effects of be thrashed more quickly if mapped.

My 2nd ERG is ****ing oil again now, it stops if i switch the map back to stock.

Search Search Search Search Search ... :P

In all honesty, before taking the plunge, you need reviews from people. Do not be taken into the plunge by big HP figures etc.

What do people recommend if its too late and you already have a Celting tuning remap? :thumbdwn:

re-remap to standard by Revo and get it Revo'd?

:rofl: I'll let you drive it at the new forest meet, see if I can change your mind ;)

I hired a New Punto grand when they first came out. it was slow and uncomfortable, so I hope the Diesel one is better than that.:rofl: Is the grand bit what they are worth when they leave the forecourt?:rofl: