Changing Headlights to Continental

Ive seen that a few people have been buying beam converters for there MK II Octavias for driving in mainland Europe. This is not necessary as all Octavia MK II headlights whether Xenon or not come with the ability to be what is termed "Flat Beamed". This is all that is required by EU law. I am a serving soldier living in Germany and this is what i had to do to get my UK spec car to pass the German equivalent of an SVA test.

The tutorial is in .PDF format. If anyone needs it in word format then PM me your e-mail address and ill e-mail it to you as it is too big to upload

If i have posted this in the wrong place then i apologise to the site owners and could you please move it to the relevant location if i have :thumbup:

Be warned though neither i nor Briskoda will in no way be held liable for anything that goes wrong. Should you decide to undertake the procedure detailed in the tutorial then you do so at your own risk

Hope this helps and ultimately saves people money

Carl:thumbup:

Headlight Conversion Instructions.pdf

Edited by Mater

Hi Mater, great post. By the way have you heard the latest though on the BFG, I heard from the test center at sennelager that as of next year, they will not allow the "flat beam" approach. Typical hey!!

Hi Mater, great post. By the way have you heard the latest though on the BFG, I heard from the test center at sennelager that as of next year, they will not allow the "flat beam" approach. Typical hey!!

Yeah i had heard that but they were the muppets that told me that i MUST have winter tyres. However you only have to have them if you are a german national. British Forces Germany get dispensation till Dec 08 (i think they are going to make it so you can claim off the MOD for them but dont quote me on that). Luckily ill be back in the uk by then so :finger: :P to that

So until i see it official in Black and White then i wouldnt pay much attention to Sennelager Test Centre.:rofl:

If you ever get really stuck see Itchy & Scratchy (not there real names!!) at Osnabruck and as long as you can put up with their double act they are generally pretty helpful

Carl :thumbup:

I have the old octy, and had to get some original headlights. I too was told about winter tyres, so went and bought some for all of the 3 times it snowed here in Detmold!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mater,

Nice guide, nice shiny boots btw too! how is BFG these days? I did 11 years there until '94, I left the Army just over 2 years ago! Reminds me of the times I was doing the 'Licht tests' at the LAD and buying/selling UK/Conti hdlts, quite a profitable business! I will take note for when I plan to visit Germany again and do a tour of some of the old haunts Lemgo/Bunde/Sennelager and Birgelen all seemed to close just after I left except Sennelager!

• 4 weeks later...

Cheers, Mater - you've just saved me a bob or two, I have to change a headlight bulb on my new (to me) Octy II and have just found out I don't know how, and I am taking it (continental specs) to the UK in a couple of weeks - useful tutorial.

Fair enough about winter tyres for this past winter, but I wouldn't knock them for normal winter use in Germany. I swop over every year in December, and back in March-April. Having full mounted sets means it only takes an hour or so, and they do work better than normal summer tyres, especially in the snow.

Say hello to Achmer for me next time you're out that way!

Yes it's the same for Xenons, I asked a dealer who told me roughly how to do it, but the tutorial is pretty much spot on. The back cover has two extra screws to remove, and the bulbs also fixed in with two screws. It is possible to do it without removing the bulbs. When moving the restriction over to the continental position, turn slightly back to UK position, but dont push down as if you are switching it back.

Would doing this and leaving it flat cause any UK MOT problems?

I'm tempted to do it as the beam pattern looks like it would be more useful that way

Im told it would as you dont light up the pavement basically when driving through non lit urban areas (never seen many of these though:rolleyes: ) that was from the blokes that do the testing here in germany as they MOT the car before you move back to the UK permanantly from being based here and they say you HAVE to put the beampattern back to normal

HTH

• 4 weeks later...

Update - As of march 2008 if you are going to resident in the EU Mainland for longer than 3 months then you MUST purchase lights that reflect the beam pattern to the Right i.e

___/ ___/

The Flat Beam approach will no longer be Valid.

Again i Stress that this is only if you are going to be resident for longer than 3 months. Holidays Etc then the flat beam approach is fine

Seems odd - hope one day some manufacturer will use some sense and make it a toggle that you can get to easily AND that switches from __/__/ to \__\__ at push of button or flick of (two) lever(s).

It ought to be possible?

Hi Mater, I just got my L&K, with the Xenons, Do you know how much they are over here? as it looks like I am going to have to change mine. Its a joke to be honest as my lights now even though flat beamed, seem to be better than my old ones for Germany! Plus do you know where to get them?

Cheers

ill ask around when i get back to Osnatraz on saturday mate. IIRC one of my mates was quoted 650 euros tax free for ONE xenon light unit for his Focus ST. Ill do some hunting and get back to you over the Weekend

Carl :thumbup:

• 5 months later...

I ask at the army test place they say as of jan 2008 flat beams are nolonger valid and continental light must be fitted for the lights test or you lend a mates for thze test then put yours back in with flat beams especially if your only keeping it for a year

• 2 weeks later...
Seems odd - hope one day some manufacturer will use some sense and make it a toggle that you can get to easily AND that switches from __/__/ to \__\__ at push of button or flick of (two) lever(s).

It ought to be possible?

In the 1970's I had several Renault 16's and Renault 4's. All had a simple lever under each headlight to switch over from RHD to LHD. So much for progress!

• 4 months later...

I agree. I had a Citroen GS in the late 70s and you could rotate the bulbs in the headlight assembly to give the LHD beam.

Having just completed the operation on my Octi for a trip to France, I also agree the PDF instructions are invaluable, but suggest you alter the passenger side first as you then know what you're looking for on the driver's side headlight! Last year I tried adding headlight protectors with beam converters, but they broke when I was removing them so proved an expensive option!

CJJE

I agree. I had a Citroen GS in the late 70s and you could rotate the bulbs in the headlight assembly to give the LHD beam.

Having just completed the operation on my Octi for a trip to France, I also agree the PDF instructions are invaluable, but suggest you alter the passenger side first as you then know what you're looking for on the driver's side headlight! Last year I tried adding headlight protectors with beam converters, but they broke when I was removing them so proved an expensive option!

CJJE

So can you get headlight protectors with beam convertors for an Octy 2 with Xenons? I had them for our Octy 1 and it was an excellent solution for our cross-channel trips. And no, I never broke them....

• 3 weeks later...
So can you get headlight protectors with beam convertors for an Octy 2 with Xenons? I had them for our Octy 1 and it was an excellent solution for our cross-channel trips. And no, I never broke them....

You should never put stickers on your headlights if you have xenons. This guide reads as if it will work with xenons if you are still unsure you will have to visit your Skoda dealer or an MOT test centre to alter the beam.