Valve clearance checking...

I need to check my valve clearances and I know how to get to them, and what they should be set at, but the stumbling block for me is how to rotate the engine?

My Haynes manual doesn't say how. Its a 1.3 single point injection engine and the flywheel is very inaccesible. I think there may be a bolt for a spanner to go on which would enable the engine to be turned, is this the only way?

That will be the same engine in my favorit. According to KenONeill over at http://www.briskoda.net/forums/other-skoda-models/136b-favorit-glxie-noisy-about-3krpm/81692/ you need a big socket for the big nut on the crankshaft pulley to rotate it. According to my haynes manual, removing the spark plugs helps, although I'm not quite sure how as I haven't tried to check mine yet.

Spark plug removal will enable you to turn the engine over

without compression making it difficult :)

Ah that makes sense. So you could just remove the one as that will let the air in? :)

Edit - doh, there's 4 cylinders and one spark plug each, guess all 4 need removing :)

Ah that makes sense. So you could just remove the one as that will let the air in? :)

Edit - doh, there's 4 cylinders and one spark plug each, guess all 4 need removing :)

You got it :thumbup:

Actually, it lets the air out :)

Actually, it lets the air out :)

You just reminded me of star trek the next generation where data corrects riker. Riker mentions the crew being sucked out of a ship, data "Correction, that's blown out."

You just reminded me of star trek the next generation where data corrects riker. Riker mentions the crew being sucked out of a ship, data "Correction, that's blown out."

Well, the ex wife always accused me of being like a computer

I need to check my valve clearances and I know how to get to them, and what they should be set at, but the stumbling block for me is how to rotate the engine?

My Haynes manual doesn't say how. Its a 1.3 single point injection engine and the flywheel is very inaccesible. I think there may be a bolt for a spanner to go on which would enable the engine to be turned, is this the only way?

I tried to do mine a bit ago... but couldnt rotate the engine... i read somewhere afterwards that someone had done it with ease by putting the car in gear and rocking it to turn the engine... dont know how effective/practical this would be.

The valve clearances are listed at the beginning of chapter 1A in your haynes...

I set my valve clearences by taking the wheel off, and although the splash plate screws are seized i can still get a rachet in there.

I don't bother removing any spark plugs and I find it ok to turn the engine over.

I set my valve clearences by taking the wheel off, and although the splash plate screws are seized i can still get a rachet in there.

I don't bother removing any spark plugs and I find it ok to turn the engine over.

You just need to do it sloooow :)

With the "stick it in gear" thing, "different strokes" and all that; I've never got on with that method myself.

Third method (which I've never tried other than out of intellectual curiousity either[so I know the engine turns, but I'd not like to turn it 2 complete revs this way]) is to turn the engine over by pulling on the fanbelt.

From what i read, the 1.6 has hydraulic ones, the 1.3 doesnt.

My problem is, I want to do mine, Im a total newbie to tinkering with cars, I recently succesfully changed the oil, adjusted my throttle cable and cleaned the throttle body, so Im getting more confident.

But the instructions on how to do the valve clearances in the Haynes manual are just too vague for me, i need some propper idiot proof ones. Anyone have any?

I managed to do my 1.3 Favorit engine by rolling it gently forward / backward etc to adjust - and did it from the haynes manual. I found it reasonable enough, I guess it is just what you are used to.

We are lucky we can get haynes manuals for Skodas - my dad and sister both have trouble getting them for their cars - Hyundai and Daihatsui.

Jacking up car at front right wheel is the way I do it- with a ratchet on the crank nut.Ideal if you dont have space to rock car backwards/forwards or lil kids/pets running about

1hr for oil change/oil filter/air filter/tappets and coolant check.

easy.

• 1 month later...

um, simple solution here and it works for me.

Put car in 5th, apply handbrake. Jack up front drivers side wheel (so it is freely rotateable).

Once the rocker cover is removed you can rotate the engine with easze by rotating the front wheel in direction of forward motion (clockwise). What you will feel is a tightness for 1/3rd of a turn as compression builds up in one cylinder and then a sudden snap as its exhaust valve opens. If you get the feel of this right and stop rotating the wheel as soon as it has snapped into place you will then be ready to adjust the valve opposite to the one fully open.

eg:

Valve open (from left of car)

1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8

check valve

8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1.

Only do this for the valves that have snapped open not the ones which have slid open.

You will get what i mean as you do it because you can easily watch the valves as you rotate the wheel. You will see some gradually open up and some snap open suddenyl.

And, secondly, i find my engine performes much better and is more fuel efficient with valve clearances of 0.25 all round!