Wardy's Fabia vRS

Wardy

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I should really list out what I did over Saturday and Sunday as well, for the good people of Briskoda:

Sat: start 0910, finish 1850 with a few breaks in between...

1. Snowfoamed down. The car had been washed the previous weekend, and hadn't done much mileage so was thankfully still quite clean.

2. 2 bucket method with Meg's Gold Class shampoo, warm water and a Meg's lambswool washmitt. Then rinsed down.

3. 1:1 Virosol applied with another washmitt, to break down the waxes and polishes that had been on the paintwork. Rinsed down.

4. Went over the car with a Meg's claybar and Quick Detailer. A fair bit of contamination removed including quite a few areas of tar deposits :mad:

5. Out with the PC, a Sonus SFX-1 yellow 4.5" pad and some Menzerna IP to clear up any more serious areas for concern. I'd picked up quite a few scratches on the bonnet, from a local cat is my guess, along with marks on both A-pillars at wing mirror height (I think from people passing the car and catching a zip or bag! :finger:)

6. Switch to a 6.5" Sonus waffleweave orange pad for the first general polish application, with Menz IP again.

7. Changed to a blue 6.5" Sonus waffleweave and Menz Final Polish II

8. Poorboy's Black Hole glaze, applied by hand with an applicator pad. Went over one panel at a time, before buffing off.

9. Finally for Saturday, Klasse All-in-One sealant, applied by hand with an other applicator pad. Went round the whole car and then left for 25-30 mins to cure. In the meantime I tidied up all the products and equipment I'd used. This was the final step for Saturday, due to failing light and the need to go out on the beers!

Sunday: 1200-1700

1. Did a quick rinse of the car, as there'd been a small build-up of dust overnight. Dried off.

2. First coat of Collinite 476 applied, by hand with an applicator pad. Whole car done, then buffed off

3. Second coat of 476, as above.

4. Lastly, I brought out the special stuff :D - BlackFire Midnight Sun. Applied one panel at a time, by hand, with an applicator pad.

Some other bits were done as well, including cleaning the wheels down with a normal shampoo solution and then dressing the tyre sidewalls with Meg's Endurance Tyre Gel. This was kindly done by a friend on the Sat, while I got on with the PCing :)

I also took off the foglight surrounds and headlight protectors, cleaned these in a 10:1 Virosol solution and then dried. I then cleaned the plastics of the surrounds with Meg's #39 Vinyl Cleaner and then protected with 303.

Think that was about it :D - should keep her looking A1 through the autumn and winter months anyway! :thumbup:

Cheers,

Steve

Why did you want them 'bucketed?! I never need to use it anyway, that's what my webserver's for :)

I did them in this format, in here, because you can't directly link.

Steve

Why did you want them 'bucketed?! I never need to use it anyway, that's what my webserver's for :)

I did them in this format, in here, because you can't directly link.

Steve

I see them as attachment/thumbnail that I have to click on to open up to a decent size. Just takes a bit longer that

Cheers guys :D

Very happy with the outcome, despite the numerous chips, particularly on the bonnet. Think I can see a bonnet and bumper respray on the horizon :rolleyes:

The glaze stage with Black Hole has certainly helped with the paint correction too. And I'll have to see how durable the Midnight is, but at least I'll still have two coats of 476 underneath :)

Steve

Mine is covered in chips too, but the problem is, a bumper/bonnest respray on mine wouldnt work, i'd need to get the wings done too as there's chips on the top edges of them too. :mad:

Although, not sure it's worth the effort on mine.

Yours...yes !! ;)

Very nice Steve...... That is one mighty shiny little car you have there. :eek:

I gave both of ours a once over last week over the period of 4 days..... Gonna give them both another session before winter sets in too.

Cheers

Dave.

• 2 weeks later...

Good idea Mr Kaiser; I was playing with settings to try and get the most 'authentic' reproduction :)

Will try again with my polariser next time I'm washing her and the sun is shining; which is likely to be next year at some point! ;)

Cheers,

Steve

Shiny it is. So shiny infact it doesn't look black. It must that nonaC camera you have. May I suggest a polarising filter to make it more black, less shiny. ;)

But then light might not escape and we would all be sucked into it!!:eek::(

• 1 month later...

Few updates:

I fitted a new vac control box (top left-hand black box in the Fabia engine bay). This was an attempt to cure a lack of low-down boost that became apparent after the hybrid turbo was fitted and the map was subsequently adjusted at Jabba. It appeared that there wasn't enough of a vacuum being created to open the actuator on the turbo at low revs. The new box seems to have cured this, and the figures and graph from the Awesome RR day yesterday seem to confirm this :thumbup: - I'm 8bhp up on Jabba figures, on what are arguably more accurate rollers ;) and the graph looks a little more healthy too.

Also, in slightly more boring and practical news, I've also fitted some silicon front wipers this week :D They're from the current Brisky offer here and first impressions are very good :)

Cheers,

Steve

EDIT: This is why threads like this are so useful. The above shows how wrong one can be sometimes :P - lack of low down boost and lag was being caused by a faulty VNT mechanism on the turbo, which eventually gave up the week before Christmas! So the vac box change was a red herring - unless of course that's knackered as well :rofl: - anyway I've put the original one back on, so might have to start from scratch on that one. Depends how it's driving once the turbo is re-fitted I suppose...

Edited by Wardy
Knowledge and information adjustment ;-)

Cheers :thumbup:

I was, shall we say, a little annoyed that it managed to rain between finishing cleaning and arriving at Awesome. I'm only 20 mins away! :rolleyes:

But yeah, cleans up well with a minimum of effort really :D

Steve

• 2 months later...

Just a little update on here, for my benefit as much as anything :)

Car's still off the road after my pre-Christmas turbo breakage :rolleyes: (all of that's detailed here)

Currently in at Awesome who have been tasked with removing the turbo and sending it off the Turbo Dynamics for inspection and hopeful rectification under warranty! So hope to have that back from TD ASAP, so it can be re-fitted and I can get going again...

I'm missing my little Skoda, it has to be said :( - but at least it reminds me how good it is, while I'm stuck driving more mediocre, everday vehicles :D

More news when I have it :thumbup:

Steve

Just a little update on here, for my benefit as much as anything :)

Car's still off the road after my pre-Christmas turbo breakage :rolleyes: (all of that's detailed here)

Currently in at Awesome who have been tasked with removing the turbo and sending it off the Turbo Dynamics for inspection and hopeful rectification under warranty! So hope to have that back from TD ASAP, so it can be re-fitted and I can get going again...

I'm missing my little Skoda, it has to be said :( - but at least it reminds me how good it is, while I'm stuck driving more mediocre, everday vehicles :D

More news when I have it :thumbup:

Steve

Sorry to hear about the above Steve............:thumbdwn:

What's the 'mediocre' replacement then for the minute?