:confused: hi

wife was diving the car tonight and noticed that when it hits a bump or dip on the road there is a cluncking noise coming from the front wheel area. is she right in thinking this could be the wheel bearing.

thanks,

robert

wheelbearings make a constant whining/moaning sound (much like the wife:rofl: )

thunks and clunks when hitting speedbumps or potholes indicate a worn balljoint on the fornt suspension Track control arm ( joins the bottom of the strut to the chassis ) its an L shaped bar with holes cut out it.

What to do is jack the car up at the front until the wheels clear the road. then try to shake the wheel by positioning your hands at the top and bottom.

If it rocks about, then balljoint is gone.

not too expensive or dificult to replace

Be very thankful that she heard a "funny noise" and asked. I've seen a case where a worn-out ball joint wasn't investigated until the relevant tyre was down to the steel bracing on one side of the tread! :eek:

If I was you I'd remove it. I tried it in situ but the suspension and brake assembly get in the way and it's just too much hassle. It's only 4 bolts anyway. Once it's off it's so much easier to work with.

Rather than grind I used a 5mm drill to start and an 8mm to finish. Then stuck it in the vice and hammered the old joint out.

Good luck.

hi guys,

haven't got the ball joint done yet, will get it in to the garage next week. would do it myself if i knew how, but my mechanic skills are very limited.

is it best to get both sides done at the same or just the side that's gone.

hi,

eventually got round to getting car to the garage, turns out it was a wishbone, had popped right out (whatever that means) said the mechanic. only bought the car a few weeks ago for 300 and asked the garage to give it a going over today while it was in. dreaded the outcome, but apart from the wishbone everythings fine. :D

hi

seems you were right ken,

got a call from the garage this morning saying that they hadn't actually taken the wheel off yesterday and assumed it was the wishbone, on taking the wheel off it was then seen to be the bolt that had almost sheared through.

all sorted now

cheers robert