Is it worth fitting an ATB LSD to an Octavia 4x4

EddyH

My gearbox is likely to be coming out sometime soon for a flywheel change. As the gearbox will be out I'm wondering if it would be worth fitting an ATB LSD. I know the benefits of fitting one to a fwd car but would I see any real benefit on my 4x4?

would you be able to run the haldex controller too eddy?just a thought:confused:

Yep Haldex controller is on the rear diff, LSD would be on the front so no problems there. I know of someone running an LSD on a TT so I've contacted them for their opinion on it and I'm awaiting a reply.

What controller are you running on the Haldex Eddy? Does it have a permanent split front/rear?

It's the blue uprated one made by haldex themselves. It doesn't wait for slip and engages the diff much earlier and more often. It monitors throttle position and steering angle among other things; benefits of this is if sees you put your foot down it engages the haldex clutch before it slips, if you are cornering and apply a bit more throttle, again it moves power to the rear to tighten the line, much like a rwd. It's very effective at what it does and I wouldn't want to loose the benefits of the haldex by having a fixed split.

Haldex also produce an orange uprated controller which is for track use only as it evens remains engaged when braking; this reduces braking distances but can cause the car to spin in the wet.

Right that said then I cant see a LSD upsetting the 4x4 then as its not waiting for slip, i'd say go for it if you have the funds.

I was more wondering if I'd see any benefits and what they might be as I've no idea how the LSD would effect how the 4x4 drives, if it's gonna give a noticable increase in cornering grip then that'll do for me. Straight line grip isn't a problem though as far as I'm concerned.

I thought about this but with the uprated ARB's & KW's I find the car is virtually neutral in handling which to me is perfect, the limitation to the car now appears to be tyres so I might try some seriously sticky tyres for the Furball

I probably wouldn't as I reckon the gains would be marginal.

Just thinking (and prepared to be put right) I would have though that you would gain on traction, although not massively as you have the uprated haldex, but would reduce the effectiveness of the blue unit.

I probably wouldn't as I reckon the gains would be marginal.

Just thinking (and prepared to be put right) I would have though that you would gain on traction, although not massively as you have the uprated haldex, but would reduce the effectiveness of the blue unit.

That's what I'm trying to weigh up. I think the blue controller will still do it's job as it pre-empts slip so should still kick in the same way. The idea is that when launching at the moment 1 of the fronts may spin whereas with the ATB this should be eliminated. It should also help putting power down when exiting corners. The other added advantage is that it's stronger than standard and I know it's fitted to the big power R32's and TT's in the states at least some of which have an uprated haldex controller too.

I've got a few days to mull over it yet so keep the comments coming and I'll have a good think about it. The best thing would be to get hold of someone who has one and get their opinions.

I wouldnt as i know on scoobies that have an LSD (STI RA) its on the back so i cant see it being worth it on the front otherwise i reckon alot more cars would have one fitted that are running power levels like yours

I wouldnt as i know on scoobies that have an LSD (STI RA) its on the back so i cant see it being worth it on the front otherwise i reckon alot more cars would have one fitted that are running power levels like yours

I think big power haldex equipped cars do have them though. I know a few turbo'd R32's in the US have them. Also Steve Cane has one on his 415bhp TT which did a 4.06 0-60 at GTI international last week.

I'll probably make my mind up after speaking to Steve but haven't got hold of him yet.

All the old Impreza turbos came with a rear LSD. The STi's from 2002 came with front and rear Suretrac LSD's. The RA and Type-R have always had lockable centre diffs.......

Chris

You would have to turn the esp off to get it to work properly. The diff has to sense slip to move the power. If your haldex senses slip it moves power to the rear and away from the front, so whats the point in having one. I think the diff is aimed more towards fwd six speed, ie Fabia Vrs and Leon Cupra r.

You would have to turn the esp off to get it to work properly. The diff has to sense slip to move the power. If your haldex senses slip it moves power to the rear and away from the front, so whats the point in having one. I think the diff is aimed more towards fwd six speed, ie Fabia Vrs and Leon Cupra r.

Hmm, my ESP only ever kicks in when I get the car airborne. :rubchin:

Hmm, my ESP only ever kicks in when I get the car airborne. :rubchin:

Eddie, speak to Big Boys Toys. They had one fitted to their racing R32 and the car did very well.

What is it you are hoping to improve by fitting the diff? If its front end grip on the bends, then there is other things you can do to improve the handling. James won't be relieving you of the contents of your wallet also.:rolleyes:

Eddie, speak to Big Boys Toys. They had one fitted to their racing R32 and the car did very well.

What is it you are hoping to improve by fitting the diff? If its front end grip on the bends, then there is other things you can do to improve the handling. James won't be relieving you of the contents of your wallet also.:rolleyes:

The only reason I'm considering it is that I'm having the gearbox out anyway so can have it fitted almost labour free (so James wouldn't be getting much out of it anyway ;) ).

Thanks for the tip I'll drop BBT's a line.

The only reason I'm considering it is that I'm having the gearbox out anyway so can have it fitted almost labour free (so James wouldn't be getting much out of it anyway ;) ).

Thanks for the tip I'll drop BBT's a line.

What flywheel are you changing to mate? Are they swapping the turbo as well?

What flywheel are you changing to mate? Are they swapping the turbo as well?

Either a Steel SMF or OEM DMF (which will require a new clutch plate too). I'm not sure when the new turbo will be here. I've not got anything booked in yet even regarding the flywheel, still finalising prices and what I'm actually gonna go for. I have ordered the new gearbox oil though!

I've done some reading on VWVortex and the ATB diff's seem quite popular on the R32. There's also claims that peloquin are devolping an ATB diff to fit in the haldex unit!