Taking an RS to the next level ........

H&R do two types of adjustable ones as well. I have the thicker type which proper stiffen the car right up :)

33258-2 VW Golf V 2WD incl. GTI Typ 1K

VA 33 258VA2,

Update ARB list:-

Octy vRS OEM - Front 23mm, Rear 22mm

H & R 1 (Golf V) - Front 26mm, Rear 22mm (adjustable)

Eibach (Golf V) - Front 26mm, Rear 23mm

Neuspeed (Golf V) - Front 25mm, Rear 25mm (adjustable)

H & R 2 (Golk V) - Front 28mm, Rear 24mm (adjustable)

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Dan,

What is the OEM setup on the Leon? Do you just have the H&R anti-roll bars? or any other suspension mods as well?

Have they altered the handling balance at all (under/oversteer)?

I imagine the OEM ARB's would be the same as the octy. Suspension is stiffer apperantly. (I cant remember)

Ive also changed to Eibach Pro-Street-S coilovers as I wanted it low but with excellent handling too.

Im not sure if it has affected anything with the steering. I wouldnt have a clue what over or understeer feel like :)

I wouldnt have a clue what over or understeer feel like :)

You would if you had it. :D and with those mods you ought to know, otherwise you don't know what you are missing. :eek:

Thanks though :thumbup:

• 1 year later...

New entry:

APR Motorsport 27mm Rear Swaybar (Golf V) - Adjustable and - separately - front 27mm.

Autotech 3-way adjustable 25mm (Golf V) - separately- front 25mm.

Update ARB list:-

Octy vRS OEM - Front 23mm, Rear 22mm

H & R 1 (Golf V) - Front 26mm, Rear 22mm (adjustable)

Eibach (Golf V) - Front 26mm, Rear 23mm

Neuspeed (Golf V) - Front 25mm, Rear 25mm (adjustable)

H & R 2 (Golk V) - Front 28mm, Rear 24mm (adjustable)

New entry:

APR Motorsport 27mm Rear Swaybar (Golf V) - Adjustable and - separately - front 27mm.

Autotech 3-way adjustable 25mm (Golf V) - separately- front 25mm.

Yippee :D; I like the sound of a 27mm rear bar ;)

H&R do bigger anti-roll bars 28mm front, 24 mm rear, and seem a bargain, but im not sure what the trade off would be fo such an increase on the front, seems good value, and the bushings dont require greasing annually,

H&R AntiRoll Bars SKODA OCTAVIA Alfa Romeo BMW VW

Edited by simonskerton

ah see they are already up there, didnt see the 2nd page of threads. lol

just out of interest, if i were for instance to go for the 28mm front, 24mm what would the trade off. would the wet weather handling go tits up maybe,

would it be best to try and get the front and rear ARB as near as possible, the same diameter to keep it neutral

I haven't read the whole thread, but noticed arb's mentioned. Personally I thought the overall handling of the standard MK2 vRS was brilliant. I did however want to lessen roll so I had a pair of Eibach ARB's fitted, and the improvement was very noticable. As for understeer, I was running Toyo 888's most of the time, so that wasnt an issue. Oversteer - even when provoked beyond the realms of possibility, the ESP despite being off prevented oversteer.

Im sure there is a lot of new gear out these days for the MK2 vrs, as it was way back when they first came out I made mine stage 2.

If I was to do an Octy all over again, I would research the stoppers a little more. I fitted Tarox G88's all round with Rallye pads, and although that combination pulls your face off in the Fabia, it didn't inspire confidence in the Octy, and I did suffer brake fade. In fact one track day, i couldnt use the car for 2 hours. So enourmous brakes would be on my list too.

I haven't read the whole thread, but noticed arb's mentioned. Personally I thought the overall handling of the standard MK2 vRS was brilliant. I did however want to lessen roll so I had a pair of Eibach ARB's fitted, and the improvement was very noticable. As for understeer, I was running Toyo 888's most of the time, so that wasnt an issue. Oversteer - even when provoked beyond the realms of possibility, the ESP despite being off prevented oversteer.

how did you rate those toyo R888s. im seriously interested in them forthe next time i buy tyres. how many miles did u do before they needed replacing, also what ARB did you fit front and rear.

how did you rate those toyo R888s. im seriously interested in them forthe next time i buy tyres. how many miles did u do before they needed replacing, also what ARB did you fit front and rear.

TYRES

Aren't the Toyo R888 a 'Track day' tyre; so if you use them on a regular day to day basis, firstly you will have way more grip that you will ever want/need and secondly they will wear out in, probably, less than 8-10,000 miles. Considering they are quite an expensive tyre in the first place; bit of a waste of money.

ARBs

Consider this as a principal if you are fitting uprated ARBs.

If, in fitting uprated ARBs, you keep the ratio between the front & rear bars the same as OE you will reduce the roll which will improve the handling/roadholding (in the dry) but not alter the handling balance between understeer/oversteer

i.e OE ARBs on the vRS are 23mm front & 22 mm rear so if you fit H&R bars that are 28mm front & 24mm rear the handling balance will not (essentially) change.

If however, you keep the front at OE (23mm) and fit an uprated rear bar (say the Neuspeed 25mm, 3mm fatter) you will make the rear stiffer relative to the front which will reduce understeer and improve turn in; making the handling more neutral.

That is why I'm interested in the new APR rear bar @ 27mm - 5mm fatter to further reduce understeer on my TDi vRS. :D;)