LED numberplate lights on Fabia - durability?

Just noticed one of mine has gone out tonight. Bit disappointed to be honest, as I'd made sure I'd got (apparently) good quality ones.

How many other people are running them, and how are they lasting? It's a pity as I really liked the look, but I'm not going to bother if they keep going out. Will just stick standard ones back in and forget about it. I must have only had them in for a couple of weeks. There's been a fair bit of night driving mixed in there, but certainly nothing that should have phased them! :rolleyes:

And if people have found theirs to be operating well, where did you get them from?

Cheers,

Steve

On a similar note, do you happen to know what the bootlight type is in the Fabia? Is it a W5W fitment (same as sidelights)?

Can't seem to come up with anything definite on a search....

Steve

hmmm

i guess so as the interior light is same as sides...

Pop it open and tell me when you find out... :)

Edited by DGW
No need to quote previous post.

Anybody recommend a good led sidelight for the front? May as well get both sets at once (Number plate and Sidelights).

I would beware LED sidelights...

I tried a couple of sets a few years ago, and they lasted a few weeks at the outset.. in the end i just took them out and stuck some philips bluvisions in i got free with an order from powerbulbs :thumbup:

Just noticed one of mine has gone out tonight. Bit disappointed to be honest, as I'd made sure I'd got (apparently) good quality ones.

How many other people are running them, and how are they lasting? It's a pity as I really liked the look, but I'm not going to bother if they keep going out. Will just stick standard ones back in and forget about it. I must have only had them in for a couple of weeks. There's been a fair bit of night driving mixed in there, but certainly nothing that should have phased them! :rolleyes:

And if people have found theirs to be operating well, where did you get them from?

Cheers,

Steve

I had around 3 sets in less than 6 months they just kept blowing time and time again.... These included a pair of cheaper LED's initially and two sets of expensive LED's. I just got tired of throwing money at it and put the original OEM bulbs back in. I'm pretty sure ChrisRS had the same problems with his and also went back to original OEM bulbs.

Regarding the boot lights they are W5W but as the LED bulbs only shine forwards from the top of the bulb and the boot light bulb being sideways on in the holder the light from the LED just shines mainly behind the boot carpet / lining....... If you catch my drift.

The only success i've had with LED bulbs so far are as interior & map lights....... I can only assume it's as they are only switched oin for short periods of time....... when you get in/out of the car etc.....

I've had numerous sets of front sidelight LED's over the last few years on the mrs's Lexus IS200 and on her CTR and all only lasted a couple of months at a time.

Cheers

Dave.

• 2 months later...
ive had LEDs as side lights in mine and the missus cars for ages now, never had a issue with them failing. i got them from a guy called crazyleds, hes on ebay. they are 4 little leds in one, and they look the nuts! :D

We are on about the number plate lights not the side lights

We are on about the number plate lights not the side lights

its the same bulbs though so wont matter where they are placed.

i had quad led bulbs and they last 4 weeks at most, i now have single led's, they arent as bright but have lasted longer.

I used to have the festoon leds for my num plate lights but got fed up with them blowing every coulple of weeks. Also, they said white on the packet but showed blue/purple light. Does anyone know where to get the leds that actually give out proper white light for festoon and sidelights ?

Anyone else had this problem

If it's sidelights your after (W5W), I can recommend The ULTRA branded ones been in mine over 9 months with no probs!

There' a pic of what they look like in another thread

its the same bulbs though so wont matter where they are placed.

No, it isn't. Sidelights and numberplate bulbs are different types. For the numberplate, the Fabia uses a festoon bulb, around 40mm.

I've given up and just gone back to standard. The only worthwhile option is to see what Lexus are using. They've obviously found a reliable solution, otherwise they wouldn't have kitted the IS/GS/LS models with LED type numberplate lights :)

Steve

I do over 40k a year, nearly all at night, and I can categorically state that all aftermarket type LED bulbs are ****.

I've tried them all, cheap ones, expensive ones, festoon type etc etc.

They never give off white light, always a blueish colour and never last long. save your money!

• 1 year later...

Thread ressurection....

Got my MOT in a month or so and noticed one of my rear numberplate bulbs has gone. Has anyone come across some decent LED bulbs since this thread?

I also fancy some LED sidelights but according to this the rear numberplates are festoon type bulbs and not W5W's like the sidelights - correct? Does anyone know the exact size - i.e. 40mm?

Cheers,

Dan.

I'd like to investigate what causes the LEDs to fail.

I had a set in my lupo for a year with no issues, moved them into the fabia and they failed in a few months. Although the interior ones havent. I think it may be something to do with a residual current...

I'd like to investigate what causes the LEDs to fail.

I had a set in my lupo for a year with no issues, moved them into the fabia and they failed in a few months. Although the interior ones havent. I think it may be something to do with a residual current...

Interesting... as theres a few threads on LED bulbs in the Octavia II forum and they don't seem to get the same problems (just an dash error if they don't get ones with built in resistors for sidelights)

Maybe its worth sticking to regular bulbs...

The led flickering is usually the diode breaking down from too much current, although there shouldnt be any more current through a fabia than any other car. Only thing do do would be to stick another load resistor on the LED or say, a couple of diodes which'd drop the voltage by about 1.6v...

Thread ressurection....

Got my MOT in a month or so and noticed one of my rear numberplate bulbs has gone. Has anyone come across some decent LED bulbs since this thread?

I also fancy some LED sidelights but according to this the rear numberplates are festoon type bulbs and not W5W's like the sidelights - correct? Does anyone know the exact size - i.e. 40mm?

Cheers,

Dan.

If you look in my car thread (link in my sig) there are some posts on page 3 relating to the one's i have in my numberplate lights. I fitted them last November time i think and have only had one go so far and that was just last month so they have lasted a lot longer than they used to. Also i have my lights on a hell of a lot as i work in a 24/7 office so do a lot of darkness driving.

There's also a link to the one's i got in there too. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Cheers

Dave.