Scrubed rear tyres

I have a 2003 Superb 130bhp pd with which I tow a caravan.

Following a tailgate/rear bumper repair I took off to Spain and France for nine weeks. I had good tyres. I had trouble with the reversing sensors while away so on returning home I took my car back to the dealership to fix. When I went to collect it I was told that I was driving on illegal tyres. on crouching down I was amazed that they were worn to the metal on the inside. A four wheel alignment sgowed that the rear drivers side wheel was +12 degrees and that that axle is non adjustable, ie a new rear axle is required. A couple of questions

1: Has anyone else had this problem?

2. About how much will it cost to repair?

3. Any Ideas on the cause?

4. Are VW passat rear axles adjustable?

Many thanks

any advice would be most helpful

John W:mad:

I have a 2003 Superb 130bhp pd with which I tow a caravan.

Following a tailgate/rear bumper repair I took off to Spain and France for nine weeks. I had good tyres. I had trouble with the reversing sensors while away so on returning home I took my car back to the dealership to fix. When I went to collect it I was told that I was driving on illegal tyres. on crouching down I was amazed that they were worn to the metal on the inside. A four wheel alignment sgowed that the rear drivers side wheel was +12 degrees and that that axle is non adjustable, ie a new rear axle is required. A couple of questions

1: Has anyone else had this problem?

2. About how much will it cost to repair?

3. Any Ideas on the cause?

4. Are VW passat rear axles adjustable?

Many thanks

any advice would be most helpful

John W:mad:

Well, on the basis that you didn't have this issue before the rear end shunt and that the OS rear is out +12 degrees and not adjustable, the car obviously needs to be jigged and pulled. This may have been undertaken once on the original repair or not at all; that is something an awful lot of bodyshops quote in the appraisal, but then don't bother in the hope they can get away with it - that's because it is a time consuming process to undertake correctly.

I presume that your insurance company handled the repair and if so, get them to provide you with a copy of the the repair appraisal and see if a pull was quoted. If it was, then get them to send one of their Engineers to view the vehicle at the bodyshop site. If it didn't include a pull, get them send ann Engineer and get them to accept that it did not have this issue prior to the incident and it does since, and therefore it is down to the bodyshop to correct it as in any event it was clearly "missed" off the original appraisal. Either-way, it should have had a four wheel tracking alignment after having a rear end shunt as a matter of course within the original repair which of course, if it had, would have indentified what you have now discovered. Once again, if that was on the original appraisal, it may well be that was also "overlooked" too! If not, it should have been. so, you should have no issue in getting it rectified, but I have no doubt it will take some time - so insist that you're supplied with a courtesy car.

Num