M6 Toll - Police Free?

Captain Chaos

Having had my first two trips on the Birmingham M6 Toll yesterday, on my trip to and back from Manchester, firstly, it was absolutely fantastic avoiding all of the nightmare that is the normal round Brum trip on the M6, it made my trip a load less stressful. Plus, what a fantastic road surface (despite the road works previously discussed on the forum)!

However, I'm interested in my fellow Briskodians (particularly Maverick, I assume) opinion on how the Toll Road, as a seemingly "private" road, how it is policed, as I saw no police presence on the road at all, and no cameras etc.? Any thoughts on how this effects how the road / speeding is policed and enforced in comparison to a normal non-toll i.e. public road?

Chaos

It isn't a private road, it's a public road maintained by private contractors.

There are a fair few unmarked cars, as the relatively low number of cars and nice road surface means people put their foot down a bit, and as a result are easy pickings.

I'm sure I don't need to point out the irony of police finding it easier to catch speeders on empty new roads... :rolleyes:

Rob.

never used it...yet, but i unserstood it to be as Rob said, a public road maintained by a private company, hence the toll system to keep the road sorted.

As for Police, i did hear there were camera cars (unmarked) running the stretch and also there were radar traps setup when it first opened.

Like i say i havent used it, i did fancy a blast on it late one night though, just to see how long it would take to cover the 27 mile stretch... in the name of science of course ;)

I don't think they time you in France between the tolls - we've done some trips down to Italy and have never had a problem. One of my friends went between two tolls with his foot to the floor in a Golf Gti, about 130mph for an hour, and there wasn't a problem. Of course you never know when they might start to.. :thumbdwn:

Been on the M6 toll road about 6 times and never seen a marked car. An unmarked car would catch just about everyone on that road...

I don't think they time you in France between the tolls - we've done some trips down to Italy and have never had a problem. One of my friends went between two tolls with his foot to the floor in a Golf Gti' date=' about 130mph for an hour, and there wasn't a problem. Of course you never know when they might start to.. :thumbdwn:

Been on the M6 toll road about 6 times and never seen a marked car. An unmarked car would catch just about everyone on that road...[/quote']

They do time you between the tolls in France, apparently justunder a ton is what you get away with. Numerous times in magazines I've read "I used to do France flat but now its too dangerous". There's nothing gendarmes like doing better than getting some Euro's off speeding Brits.

There isn't a toll booth at each end' date=' so they couldn't time you "between the barriers" as such...

Rob.[/quote']

How does it work then Rob? Do you pay when you leave?

In the States in LA the toll roads have a central 'toll booth plaza' at each end of the road where you pay. If you've entered the road at the junction with the existing free highway you just roll up and pay the car ($1 per axle). If you've joined anywhere other than the highway junction a ticket is issued at a tool booth on the on-ramp to say where you've joined and the cost is pro-rata again at this toll booth. If you however leave before the end of the road there are tool booths on every off-ramp that again charge you pro rata. Seems good. You can also have a 'season ticket' that works with the overhead gantries so you don't need to stp at the toll booths. Very impressive road virtually empty and you can get up to 3 digit speeds on it without anybody looking twice which is unheard of in the States.

Just confirming the other comments - it is policed and I have seen a camera van on a bridge (I think at the southern end).

The BIG difference is the total lack of lorries = a 3 lane motorway and not the usual 'outside lane for cars passing 2 lanes of lorries' ! I hope they don't reduce the lorry fee.

You can get a "season ticket" for the M6 toll, cant remember the cost but you charge it up, and stick it on the windscreen, when you then pass the toll booth it deducts a point automatically and lets you though each time, when the card is empty you can simply recharge it at the booth. i think theres an express lane type of thing for users of these cards.

They do time you between the tolls in France, apparently justunder a ton is what you get away with. Numerous times in magazines I've read "I used to do France flat but now its too dangerous". There's nothing gendarmes like doing better than getting some Euro's off speeding Brits.

I'll have to watch out for that in future - Cheers. :thumbup:

The system in the M6 is similar to the LA system.

There is 1 main toll booth are.

If you come off before it, there is a toll on the exit road

If you join after it, there is a toll on the slip road.

Its the same price if you use the whole length or just part.

• Administrators

There are speed traps setup at the toll booths on occasion...

Just come back via there today; from one of your event's Captian Chaos ;)

I swear to god that road is going to be a baned tastic road...crusie set at 70mph* and a good dozen cars came past me like I was going backwards....

...all except the accord S who obviously thought I was actually in a 1.4 on the slip road :rofl: Thou shall not tailgate an octavia again in a hurry.

*I think my speedo overreads by 29mph.

Just come back via there today; from one of your event's Captian Chaos ;)

I swar to got that road is going to be a band tastic road...crusie set at 70mph* and a good dozen cars came past me like I was going backwards....

*I think my speedo overreads by 29mph.

Colin' date=' nice to hear that the Big Blue is looking after you, I hope that you got lots of freebies and good hospitality.

Thanks all for your thoughts on the road, and the heads-up on speed cameras, and France.

Anyone got any idea what kind of motor the unmarked cops use?

...and come to think of it, is there a website(s) (that of course we wouldn't condone) that gives you tips on where speed cameras are and what cars to watch out for? i.e. always use to be Ovlovs and Omegas...

All the best, Chaos[/font']

www.speedtraps.co.uk

edit: no' date=' thats not it... uhm... something like that url, but different...[/i']

http://www.speedcam.co.uk by any chance. Also check the web for the safety camera partnership (aka local police extorsion group :rolleyes:) in that area. They usually have URL's like www.camerascutcrashes.com

• 5 months later...