M6 Toll - Police Free?

Captain Chaos

The system in the M6 is similar to the LA system.

There is 1 main toll booth are.

If you come off before it' date=' there is a toll on the exit road

If you join after it, there is a toll on the slip road.

Its the same price if you use the whole length or just part.[/quote']

Same on the new toll motorways in the Irish Republic - the M1 and the M50(IIRC) Dublin orbital motorway

Same on the new toll motorways in the Irish Republic - the M1 and the M50(IIRC) Dublin orbital motorway

Good thing they have an "EasyPass" system on it. Its a barcode thats placed on the windscreen (just behind the rear view mirror) and lets you drive through the toll booths without stopping....Fantastic

This all brings us back to the fact that they're a money scam....Were already taxed to the teeth with Car Tax and tax on the fuel....

But they're great for stress free driving....

Good thing they have an "EasyPass" system on it. Its a barcode thats placed on the windscreen (just behind the rear view mirror) and lets you drive through the toll booths without stopping....Fantastic

This all brings us back to the fact that they're a money scam....Were already taxed to the teeth with Car Tax and tax on the fuel....

But they're great for stress free driving....

Tax on the fuel? :( From memory, 95 rom unleaded in Ireland works out about 20p/litre cheaper than in the UK :eek:

And the new motorways - like the toll section of the M1 - are fantastic roads compared to some in the UK (M90 anyone? Motorway on the cheap :mad: )

However, some rural Irish roads, shall we say, leave a lot to be desired :)

Tax on the fuel? :( From memory, 95 rom unleaded in Ireland works out about 20p/litre cheaper than in the UK :eek:

But its still taxed....It it wasn't taxed, my guesstimate would be about 45c/litre. Tax in the UK...ouch.

And the new motorways - like the toll section of the M1 - are fantastic roads compared to some in the UK (M90 anyone? Motorway on the cheap :mad: )

Granted the new roads in Ireland are fairly nice...but are dangerous as hell. Little or no crash barriers on them.

However' date=' some rural Irish roads, shall we say, leave a lot to be desired :)[/quote']

oooooh..... Quote of the Month... :thumbup:

Only some? Where have you been? I would say the majority of them... My poor suspension...

< end of rant >

:D

• Administrators

Well having Irish family meant we travell over there alot, certainly when I was young so I have to love French suspension, it's a myth that the 2cv was designed for French fields ;)

However last trip I took a well laden 4x4 Octy...except I negated to change it's suspension from smooth fast tarmac/track........By the end of the week I felt like I'd love chity chity bang bang...scraped a fair few bits of the car :D

It's okay if your willing to take your time :D Some are good though Laois to Dublin.

And I've seen plod traps on the toll, normally around the services.

M90's not too bad, but as you say it is built to a budget! The southern section over the Forth Bridge is to be heavily modified for the new M9 (Spur) section, and will become 3 lanes. It seems now (dare I say it) if it's north of Watford or outside Edinburgh, it's not worth it :rolleyes: . Just my impression, including the M74 which has been in construction round Glasgow since 1960, and the A74, A66 sections in Cumbria.

Of course not strictly true and Scotland in particular is seeing a boom in road building and construction- however in pandering to the enviromental lobby these roads are wholly unsuitable another M90 problem. It like so many other Scottish Motorways stops too soon. M90 to go to Aberdeen, M80 (M9) to Inverness, but ho hum.....