Front off-side brake caliper.

Hi to all,

I have bought a Felicia LXi Plus a couple of weeks ago. I have been reading with interest the threads but can`t just what is worrying me. Front off-sde brake caliper rattles/knocks over uneven road surfaces. The wheel nuts/bolts are tight and the noise stops when I press the brake pedal when driving. It stops well and can even lock the front wheels up if needs must.

I have bought a Haynes Manual and nothing in the Fault finding says anything about knockes or rattles with the front brakes. I can move the caliper when under the car it sound similar to when in the car. The left one does not move when under the car!

Anyone got any ideas what it might be?

I had the same problem with my pickup (same brakes).

Remove the road wheels and check the condition of the front disc's.

it there is a lip on them odds are this is the noise, i took most of the lip off with a screw driver and turning the disc on it, it knocked half the lip off, Its best to measure the tickness of the dicss too min thikness is 7mm i think off the top of my head.

5tu!

Hi 5tu,

I did try to take the off-side wheel off this morning but the nuts/bolts were not for moving, I will try again tomorrow with a proper trolly jack. When I bought the car that is in really good condition and service history though it did not come with the tools i.e. Jack and tool pack so i`ll have to make do with my socket set.

Thanks for your ideas, Circlip.

Circlip, it's just possible that your wheelnuts have been "gorillaed" on and then heated by a sticky caliper.

I had to deal with this on one of my mate's cars, and we eventually shifted the nuts with the car's weight on the wheels, one mate with their foot hard on the footbrake, a 3 foot long breaker bar, and my 14 stones balancing on another (female) mate's shoulders and jumping on the end of the breaker bar! :eek: Best wishes!

Ha Ha!!! KenONeill ... I of coarse did not have a long enough bar breaker, so a tube slid over my socket-set handle and put my full weight on the tube and it did the job.

The springs on the brake pads had broken as rigsby had the same problem 3 times, I went with that solution.

Thanks for all your quick replies.

HTH, and however funny that tale sounded, it was absolutely true! Up until we added the bloke holding the car on the footbrake, I was moving the car down the road, not loosening the wheelnut (and nothing handy we could use as wheelchocks either).