Learner driver question

reeree

Hi, ive searched everywhere and cant find the answer to my question, was hoping you can help? Ive got my own car, am insured and everything but havent passed my test yet, so my dad comes out driving with me, as hes the only person i know over 21 with a license, but does he have to sit in the front with me? can he sit in the back? ive been taking my whole family out you see and my mum wants to sit in the front but because she doesnt have a license my dad wont let her. Can you help? lol Thanks x

I would imagine even if it weren't the legal answer then the common sense answer is that your dad must sit in the front. Ultimately he is in charge the the car and he ought to be in reach of the controls IMHO.

i always thought it was the front as if you get caught speeding, jumping red lights etc (as an example) and points are issued they will be issued to both who is supervising and who is driving.

• 2 weeks later...

So it doesn't matter where in the car they are. The only reason I could think of being in the back though is to be as far away from the point of impact as possible ;):rofl:

Chris

I remember years ago sitting in with a mate of mine when he was learning to drive. From the info you posted I guess that means the fact that I used to have a little sleep on occasions wasn't a problem - I was still present in the vehicle (physically if not mentally!)

I dare say one of the other instructor will correct me if I'm wrong but you Dad MUST be in the front because he is legally in charge of the vehicle as he is the full license holder. Its is also his responsability to ensure overall safety and you comply with all aspects of the law. Hence get caught speeding you both get points!

Hope you pass soon...

I dare say one of the other instructor will correct me if I'm wrong but you Dad MUST be in the front because he is legally in charge of the vehicle as he is the full license holder. Its is also his responsability to ensure overall safety and you comply with all aspects of the law. Hence get caught speeding you both get points!

Hope you pass soon...

I agree with this :thumbup:

Hello - I'm no help at all, but I'm gobsmacked that a learner driver would even consider carrying a car with passengers where the mentor was sitting in the back, irrespective of any strictly legal requirements. To think that passengers and other road users (be they cars, cyclists or pedestrians) might be at risk when a split second decision might need to be made - just doesn't bear thinking about.

Mo