Company Car Options

Thinking about a VRS as my new company motor, as yet undecided whether its gonna be a diesel or a petrol.

I currently drive a V6 Alfa 156 which is great fun but very heavy on juice.

The plan is to keep the Alfa for trackday fun and get the VRS for work/family. May go for an estate to get all the family crap in!

In the long term I'll probably look to get it re-mapped (as I get bored too easily and assuming that remapping is pretty difficult to spot by insurers, dealers, etc!), so the big question - which shall i go for. I'm used to high revving performance but am just as happy with a kick in the back diesel torque wagon!

Which has the best real world performance, either standard or remapped?

Talk to me gents

I've driven a few mapped TFSi and they offer diesel like torque but with the rev range to match. If you can afford a little more on fuel then it might be a good option. They aren't bad on fuel either to be honest.

Am in a similar boat, though not a company car. Think Im decided on diesel then reminded of 200bhp, 6k (+?) rev limit and not dissimilar mileage figures - although quoted figures see diesel hitting 50mpg.... With a good 3-4+ trips to Wales/Scotland a year (biking hols), will the savings be THAT much? Maybe I need to do some figures....

Sorry, don't mean to hijack your thread.......

What I am about to say will probably cause a few raised eyebrows/come backs etc. I will also say that the below is only my humble option on things and others will have a different view.

From this I have come to the conclusion that they are completely different cars and hence will appeal to completely different people.

I all out speed/acceleration is your thing then the petrol really can not be beaten by the diesel. The pertrol engine is very smooth and refined. However, on todays roads (loads of speed cameras and cars) top speed etc. are to me a little irrelevant to me. I am more interested in how the car makes me feel etc. In this repesect I think the diesel wins as the petrol was just a little too refined. The way the diesel delivers its power is hugely different to the pertol. As such you get a huge amount of torque kicking in around 1800rpm. This has the result of giving u a feeling of massive acceleration (even if it is really no more than the petrol). You also get some torque steer and even in the dry (and in a straight line) the traction control will kick in when in 2nd gear (something I could not get the petrol to do). Now I know these traits do not make for the quickest car but it certainly leaves me with a smile on my face. In my eyes, unless you are on a track, the absolute speed you are going is not all important but more the sensation of going fast is (and it will certainly help keep my licence intact!!!). I should also add that I used to have a mk 1 vrs which also delivered its power in a slightly less than refined manner so maybe that is also why I like the diesel!! The petrol car just left me a little hollow in terms of smiles.

I appreciate a chipped petrol may well bring in the attributes I like in my diesel to the petrol but as I have not driven one I could not comment. Also if you chipped the diesel would that not give even more of a percieved shove and hence more smiles (again not driven a chipped on so can not comment).

As an aside I drove the other day from Stafford to Swansea going through the centre of Wales and managed 55mpg (would never get that in a petrol!!!)

So in summary, I like my diesel and glad I got it but I am sure that it will not be everyones cup of tea.

Hope I have not offended too many people and should I duck now!!!

I'm very happy (Fabia vRS) with the way the diesel has oodles of torque and just where you want it for practical day to day motoring.

No fuss, no drama, no having to cane it, no stupid overloud exhaust note - but, bumpf, you've just gone past (yet) another car.

Hi All,

My first post as I hope to be the owner (well user technically) of a Company Car by November, an Octavia VRs Diesel.

I'm unable to add anything of major substance to this thread other than to say that the P11D price of the car & the relatively low CO2 emissions (how Company Car Tax is calculated) are both excellent.

I had another £40 "in hand" in my monthly allowance which I could have spent on any number of Golfs, BMW120s, Passats, Audi A3 Sportbacks etc, but the list prices of those cars (& bizarrely higher emissions on some of them) would have seen me paying a lot more out of my wage.

My choice of car has raised eyebrows with some of my colleagues but considering what I'll get for my money it was an easy decision for me to make.

Thank You,

Cheerio.

^ Similar boat to me. I've taken the cash for the last 12 months but am thinking of opting back in during November. My allowance must be about the same as yours judging by the cars you are looking at.

Yep, due to the list price the PD170 Octavia is probably the cheapest (to the employee) company car to run as the emissions will be in the same ballpark as the other VAG cars (A3, Golf) but the VW and Audi list price is higher. What I mean by this is that you're paying the same %age but the %age is worked out from a higher P11D value.

I know what you mean about the 'bizarre emissions' - yes I noticed also the A3 has the highest although it is the same engine as the Golf and Octy. Maybe it's a heavier car?

It works the same way with hot hatches; the Fiesta ST and Ibiza Cupra aren't particularly emissions friendly but are some of the cheapest hot hatches to run from an income tax perspective, due to their low list price. The Mini Cooper S is next cheapest, much higher list price than the Fester and Ibiza, but much lower emissions. These cars will cost around £80-110 a month in tax.

The Fabia vRS was effectively a good compromise as a company car, costing the driver about £60 a month in income tax due to low emissions and low list price.

To compare, the new Civic diesel is about £110 a month in income tax. Even though the emissions are a little better than the PD130, so the %age emissions factor is lower, the main reason is that the list price is very much higher than the Fabia.

A lot of people at work are choosing these new Civics over VAG cars because the Civic is a 2.2, better emissions than the A3/Jetta/Golf, and they can claim a bit more back in fuel allowance than the PD140/170's which are under 2 litres.

Back to my point about the Fabia vRS being a good company car, there are a two of those at work. I've got to know the drivers and one of these people realised that the Furby was about £100 a month less than the allowance (we get the difference back in pay packet) and as the income tax hit was £60 the extra pay balanced this out...so she ends up with a truly 'free of charge' company car.

It's lemon yellow mind you :D

There are two considerations here I believe, money and desire.

Money; the TDI is cheaper on Company car tax and gives about 10mpg better fuel consumption, typically 40 - 45mpg vs. 30 - 35mpg for the TFSI. I'm sure you can do your own sums considering your mileage and business/private ratio etc. and then decide, do I want to pay ££££ more to run the TFSI.

Desire; both are desirable cars but have different styles to their performance. The TFSI can be revved and is ultimately marginally quicker but in the 'real world' probably nothing in it. The TDI has that tsunami of torque to give strong in gear acceleration and a relaxed almost lazy tone to its performance. 4th gear is awesome you can run from 40mph to 90mph with strong acceleration. The TFSI I found has a somewhat sewing machine engine note, nothing like the glorious howl you will get from your Alfa V6, whereas the TDI has a deeper roar/growl.

My suggestion; get the TDI as your Company car, enjoy the torque and with the money you save (over having the TFSI) you can pay for even more track days to be a petrol head in your Alfa.

I have a petrol VRS and a diesel Leon FR ......... The Leon covers 800 miles a week getting me to and from work at my expense and there is no way I would change this for a petrol car, but then I can squeeze 62mpg out of it.:thumbup:

The VRS was going to be diesel too, but after seeing the difference in price and balancing that against the mileage that it will do (about 8k a year max) then it didn't cost in to get a diesel even after allowing for stronger residuals. Also, the petrol VRS is the more fun to drive hard even though the Leon is Revo'd and quick, but it doesn't have the high reving fun of the VRS which probably isn't the faster car but it feels like it is! Petrol cars have that feeling of being more exciting as they rev higher and sound better which for me all adds to the owership fun, although we have had the Leon as our main car for 3 years prior to getting the VRS about 10 weeks back. That said, i do enjoy driving the Leon hard too, but its not as much fun as the VRS.

For me, if it is a company car then I'd assume that much of the high mileage would be company paid fuel and so your own running costs would not be high enough to go for the diesel. I'd therefore go for petrol unless you do a very high personal mileage like I do in the Leon!

Hope this helps and makes soem sort of sense! Cars can be emotive things that you buy with the heart as much as the head. You have to keep it for a while or spend a lot of time in it so make sure you enjoy it!

• 2 weeks later...
The TFSI I found has a somewhat sewing machine engine note, nothing like the glorious howl you will get from your Alfa V6, whereas the TDI has a deeper roar/growl.

I was just saying to the wife the other day how I was warming to the growling like engine note of the TFSI when you hoof it. Obviously it is nothing like what I was used to with the V6 TT but then what is?

Thanks for bringing this up. I am trying to blag a car allowance now, have done over 20k in my vrs mk1 in 18 months and most of it for the company. What ever I get would probably be breathed on by a map, what would a remap on a derv get the 0-60 to? I would miss the CAI and DV hiss but if the acceleration could be brought into the realms of a petrol with better mpg I could be tempted.

I drive the 170PD and the fuel economy figures are nothing to write home about. I've got about 6k on the clock and average around 42mpg - mostly motorway driving. Go for the petrol unless you do a mega amount of miles.

is there something wrong with your car? I've only had mine a week (has 10k miles on the clock) and I've almost averaged that despite the fact I have been "playing" with it all week (I.e. taking it out and booting it...)

Thinking about a VRS as my new company motor, as yet undecided whether its gonna be a diesel or a petrol.

I currently drive a V6 Alfa 156 which is great fun but very heavy on juice.

The plan is to keep the Alfa for trackday fun and get the VRS for work/family. May go for an estate to get all the family crap in!

Talk to me gents

how do you feel about the tax? I was driving Saab Aero and Volvo T4/T5 cars on company scheme (loaded with all the extras, hence bumped up list price) and decided the tax was killing me. Of course the Skoda is a lower list price so the BIK is less anyway.

But I've switched to privately owning a TDI Vrs and am delighted with it. I'll get it remapped as soon as someone like BSR produce a PPC for it, but it is still a poky car. 0 - 60 times have never impressed me, whereas overtaking ability has - and the TDi has plenty (similar to saab in that respect), especially once you've adapted your gear technique. My ownership so far backs up my estimation that it would be a great value car to combine practicality and fun... and all that money you'll save from a more expensive marque you can spend on keeping your foot flat on the floor :-)

does your company do enough business to be able to get you a 24/48 hour test drive?

Am in a similar boat, though not a company car. Think Im decided on diesel then reminded of 200bhp, 6k (+?) rev limit and not dissimilar mileage figures - although quoted figures see diesel hitting 50mpg.... With a good 3-4+ trips to Wales/Scotland a year (biking hols), will the savings be THAT much? Maybe I need to do some figures....

Sorry, don't mean to hijack your thread.......

I'm about to do a nice 500 - 600 mile trip to Scotland and back - will report back in 10 days what the economy is like!

I would say don't just look at the bhp, but look at the torque too... that will count for much more driving nice twisty/hilly scottish roads (Glencoe anyone?) - The TDi has as much torque (350nm) as some 250bhp, even 300bhp petrol cars - which IMHO makes overtaking a delight...

What I am about to say will probably cause a few raised eyebrows/come backs etc. I will also say that the below is only my humble option on things and others will have a different view.

From this I have come to the conclusion that they are completely different cars and hence will appeal to completely different people.

I all out speed/acceleration is your thing then the petrol really can not be beaten by the diesel. The pertrol engine is very smooth and refined. However, on todays roads (loads of speed cameras and cars) top speed etc. are to me a little irrelevant to me. I am more interested in how the car makes me feel etc. In this repesect I think the diesel wins as the petrol was just a little too refined. The way the diesel delivers its power is hugely different to the pertol. As such you get a huge amount of torque kicking in around 1800rpm. This has the result of giving u a feeling of massive acceleration (even if it is really no more than the petrol). quote]

I would say you are absolutely right, and as a result the cars not only suit different driving styles but also different roads.

I live in the fens, and having played with the car lots for a week have decided it (the diesel) is absolutely brilliant for spirited driving on twisty (and bumpy) single track fen roads (where 70 mph feels like 110, and anything faster will kill your suspension)... The ability of the car to take off from 30mph (in 3rd or 4th) is fabulous, so makes working the 30mph - 70mph speed range a pleasure and puts a big grin on your face. If, however, you were driving a road that suited a 50 - 90 speed range, then perhaps the petrol would fare better? (again, working 3rd and 4th)...

I guess I would say dont' discount the diesel without giving it a try if you can...

This is of course all hypothetical as I wouldn't advocate breaking the speed limit...:D