Vrs Mpg & Smoking

mikebh50

Hi

I have had my 05 VRS for about 6 weeks now and it really is fun to drive but i have a couple of questions.I only seem to be getting around 380 miles on a tank of diesel which is not a much as i was hoping.Idrive it to work ever day which is around 12 miles each way there is abit of around town driving and the rest is out and about at weekends.Also it smokes on start up and when changing gear.Now the service indicator has come on as its due for its 30,000 mile service in around 800 miles what i really want to know is what should i ask the garage to be looking at to try a correct these problems or will they correct themselves after the service.

Thanks

Mike:(

P.S

Anyone recommend a good garage around the Dereham Norfolk area.

Can i assume, Only having the car 6 weeks you're not driving like 'Sister Wendy'

I was initially getting about 340-350 to the tank, Much improved now!

are we talking puffs of smoke or clouds?

Air filter is only reccomended to be changed every 40k :eek:

seriously?

in that case what do you actually get for a service, i would have assumed air filter would be a standard item to swap, especially in a diesel engine.

seriously?

in that case what do you actually get for a service, i would have assumed air filter would be a standard item to swap, especially in a diesel engine.

Stu's service schedule is here 3.1MB http://www.fabia-vrs.com/downloads/files/fabiasmr.xls

I check my filter every 5k roughly anyway, but it does gunk up quick

It's normal for me.

I let my mate have a practise run in the car last night - as he's not driven it for a while and I've just got him insured fully comp on it. He went up one hill about 30mph in 3rd, and used a bit too much throttle and not enough revving. I watched in the nearside wingmirror as we deposited a huge black acrid cloud of soot. He said "sorry", found 2nd gear, and took off (smokeless). :rofl:

It needs to see 4000 RPM at least once a week to clear out the unburnt diesel from any slow running that can build up in the exhaust system. If my good lady has been using it for a week trickling around in our sunny seaside traffic, my Saturday morning wellie session can produce some bursts of very environmentally unfriendly smog.

Its a diesel so there's also usually a puff of gunsmoke in the wind when it fires up.

I'd be pretty pleased with 380 miles on a tankful, if you were doing 50 mile trips each way it might be better, but I do 4 traffic drenched miles each way when I'm in town and that see's 37mpg winter, 40mpg summer.

You are doing pretty well I reckon.:thumbup: :thumbup:

£40k for an air filter is shocking - especially for those who travel in inner city heavy congestion. My air filter is black every year and gets binned - I have tried to clean it with a Dyson a few times during the year but increase in MPG is not possible to detect.

£40k for an air filter is shocking - especially for those who travel in inner city heavy congestion. My air filter is black every year and gets binned - I have tried to clean it with a Dyson a few times during the year but increase in MPG is not possible to detect.

Is that BMW prices?

you can also see a cloud behind you through the vehicle behind's headlights when the turbo spools up :rofl:

Oh yes, great fun.....smoke 'em out I say!!:rofl:

Mine smokes like a train when given the 'ol right foot treatment, and it will smoke on startup, could be due to a slight overfuel when you turn the key? I'm not sure if Diesels still do this?

Lummox or somebody who is technical will know?