Octy Vrs - which new tyres?

I've covered 13k on the original tyres and am now looking to replace all four. What do people recommend (18"s) for the VRs?

Evo magasine this month rates the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric followed by the Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta in its review of tyres.

I like the look of the previous generation Goodyear Eagle F1s with the directional tread pattern and they were really rated by Autoexpress I seem to recall in their review.

I've also noticed my rears are wearing more on the inside - anyone else noticed this?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had 4 Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3's to replace the OEM Conti's and they were OK.

Since then I have replaced 2 with the Assymetrics and they seem pretty good so far. Good grip, excellent poise and lots of feedback.

Worth the extra IMHO.

I've got my copy of Evo as well and I think their 10 page 'Tyre Test 2007' is a fairly definitive statement on tyre capabilities.

They used a Golf GTI on 225/45 17s and put it through extensive tests on track and road - so I think their conclusions will be a tad more comprehensive than any one of us briskodians giving our opinion based on just our subjective opinions.

For the record; the tyres tested and their final scores are;-

1st - 96.4 - Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric

2nd - 95.3 - Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta

3rd - 93.5 - Continental Contisport Contact 3

4th - 92.7 - Bridgestone Potenza RE050-A

5th - 92.4 - Michelin Pilot Sport PS2

6th - 92.0 - Pirelli PZero Nero

7th - 88.7 - Kumho Ecsta STP KU31

8th - 86.0 - Dunlop Sport MAXX

9th - 82.0 - Yokohama S.Drive

Of course the results do not tell the full story. Each tyre has its strengths and weaknesses and different tyres may well suit different cars and driver's requirements. Best to buy Evo and read the full report.

One interesting point given is (I quote);-

"Is bigger better? The (Golf) GTI has always felt pretty good on 18in wheels and slightly lower profile tyres (225/40 R 18s, so day one of the test provided a big surprise. For familiarisation laps of the wet circuit, Bovingdon used the GTI Anniversary on its standard 18in rims to which Bridgestone had fitted RE050-As. On the fractionally higher profiled 17in tyres, Bovingdon noted significantly more turn-in bite and the Golf was around 2.5 sec a lap faster ....."

Perhaps a case of the more flexible sidewall being able to provide more grip as it was in the wet - maybe a different story in the dry.

I've also noticed my rears are wearing more on the inside - anyone else noticed this?

A know problem on, mostly early, vRS Octys; worth getting you Rear Camber checked. Details here;- Octavia-vRS.com - Octavia A5 Common or Known Problems and Issues first item in the list.

A know problem on, mostly early, vRS Octys; worth getting you Rear Camber checked. Details here;- Octavia-vRS.com - Octavia A5 Common or Known Problems and Issues first item in the list.

I'll get full wheel laser alignment when or after I get the new tyres I think...

The Goodyears are looking favourite and as Bahnstormer VRs aludes to, the Evo review is far more comprehensive than anyone's experience on here is likely to ever be. Always interesting to get peoples views though....

the best new tyres are........

black ones :P

Thanks for that valuable contribution.

Although you really shouldn't have bothered. Too much Al-ke-hol on a friday night for you me thinks...

Thanks for that valuable contribution.

Although you really shouldn't have bothered. Too much Al-ke-hol on a friday night for you me thinks...

Seeing as im Tea-Total i doubt it. But thanks for your effort to be sherlock holmes now if you'd like to leave the door is that way ------------>

:P :P :P

Uniroyal Rain Sport 1 225/40 18. That rear camber issue is for A5 (1K) platform, the Octavia 1 is A4 (1J) platform and there is naff all adjustment possibility. If the rears are scrubbing, check the rear axle bushes. I checked my front camber last week and it is just over 1 degree neg each side with the BJ’s pushed right in so what do you do? I have set the tracking parallel and it shouldn’t scrub the fronts even with the camber set neg. Which idiot at VW thought it was a good idea to not give the 1J (and 1K) platform any decent camber adjustment just because they THOUGHT they could build it accurately? I find it a bit short sighted and possibly arrogant.

Seeing as im Tea-Total i doubt it. But thanks for your effort to be sherlock holmes now if you'd like to leave the door is that way ------------>

:P :P :P

And there was me just trying to make excuses for you....

• 4 months later...

Any experience of Dunlop Sport Maxx tyres on vrs?

Just got my car this week it will be 2 in April and I'll need new tyres in a short while. Kwik fit have price of £106 each (225 40 R18)when buying 4 so i'm tempted to go with that but would appreciate any comments.

Any experience of Dunlop Sport Maxx tyres on vrs?

They came 8th (out of 9) in the 2007 Evo test - see post #3 above. Plenty of better choices IMHO.

Just got my car this week it will be 2 in April and I'll need new tyres in a short while. Kwik fit have price of £106 each (225 40 R18)when buying 4 so i'm tempted to go with that but would appreciate any comments.

£106 each but for which brand/type? although a fair price for 225/40 18s.

Michelins are around £135 - £140 for this size but Vredestein Ultrac Sessantas can be bought for around £90 - £95.

Check out this list for a price guide;- Bridgetones Tyres, Pirelli Tyres, Michelin Tyres, Dunlop Tyres, Goodyear Tyres, Toyo Tyres, Yokohama Tyres and more...

Waaaay too much imho (unless they are for Michelin PS2's) :P

Bought a pair of the much praised Falken 452's for £61 each delivered, paid a tenner each for fitting makes that £35 per tyre cheaper than Kwik Fit, or in other words £140 towards the modifying budget ;):thumbup:

Camskill Tyres - Falken 452

or if you want to spend a little more on the Vredstein Ultrac Sessanta at £90 each...

Camskill Tyres - Vredestein

Waaaay too much imho (unless they are for Michelin PS2's) :P

Bought a pair of the much praised Falken 452's for £61 each delivered, paid a tenner each for fitting makes that £35 per tyre cheaper than Kwik Fit, or in other words £140 towards the modifying budget ;):thumbup:

Camskill Tyres - Falken 452

or if you want to spend a little more on the Vredstein Ultrac Sessanta at £90 each...

Camskill Tyres - Vredestein

Will anywhere fit tyres supplied by you, or do some places get a bit funny about it?

Will anywhere fit tyres supplied by you, or do some places get a bit funny about it?

Usually the big guys, KwikFit, ATS etc are funny; they start quoting 'Liability' and 'how do I know the tyres are OK?' etc.etc.

Most other tyre dealers will be fine; they want your business!

Usually the big guys, KwikFit, ATS etc are funny; they start quoting 'Liability' and 'how do I know the tyres are OK?' etc.etc.

Most other tyre dealers will be fine; they want your business!

Thanks - so go to a small local firm rather than a nationwide outfit then :)

Just had a set of the new Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric fitted on my VRS tdi estate. Swapped from Conti 2's, but even after 5 miles appear to be quieter and offer more feedback. Grip is decent but i expect that to increase after several hundred miles. Had all four fitted for £400, which i think is very reasonable, especially considering some internet sites are asking around £110 per tyre, delivery only.

Just had a set of the new Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric fitted on my VRS tdi estate. Swapped from Conti 2's, but even after 5 miles appear to be quieter and offer more feedback. Grip is decent but i expect that to increase after several hundred miles. Had all four fitted for £400, which i think is very reasonable, especially considering some internet sites are asking around £110 per tyre, delivery only.

Good choice and nice price; they were No 1 in the Evo tyre test. Are you on 17s or 18s?

They might be quieter as they will have more (noise absorbing) rubber that the Conti's you took of and, yes, they will reach their full grip potential in 250 - 500 miles. Would be interested in you comments in a thousand miles or so.

Bye the way; WELCOME TO BRISKODA. :D:thumbup:

That's a good price, similar to what I paid for my Vredesteins.