De-coking TDi engine

Danv6saxo

While replacing my rattling Aux belt tensioner today i had to remove the upper boost pipe only to find massive ammounts of black gue!!!

what's the best for cleaning this, normally i'd use Carb cleaner but wondered if there was anything better or maybe even easier..

It will idle fine without the EGR. Removing just stops the exhaust gas going back through, which is what clogs up the manifold. You might find the CEL comes on, but I live with mine being on. Also, you lose the anti-shudder valve for calm shutting down of the engine, but again for me, that's a minor thing.

If you didn't want to replace it, I believe you can trim the EGR down with vagcom, but I'm not sure how on the octy. :)

My EGR is about 15-20% narrower thanks to the cr^p that has built up in about a 14 months.... And this with the EGR turned down with vagkom all the time....

Imagine the effect on airflow!!!

Guess I'm gonna have to get used to a CEL light on, LOL.....

Useful links:

INTAKE MANIFOLD CLEANING 101

Intake Cleaning Home        VW  Repair        Diesel  News        Email

16931.attach

I cleaned my EGR and inlet manifold out a while back and the difference was amazing

Before cleaning pics

EGR%20&%20Intake%20Before%20%282%29.jpgEGR%20&%20Intake%20Before.jpg

After cleaning

EGR%20&%20Intake%20Cleaned%20%283%29.jpgEGR%20&%20Intake%20Cleaned%20%281%29.jpgEGR%20&%20Intake%20Cleaned%20%282%29.jpg

The crap that came out

EGR%20&%20Intake%20Muck.jpg

I also took the time to clean out the turbo while i was at it which made even more difference to performance and got rid of limp mode at 3000 rpm

Carb cleaner didn't shift any of it so i soaked it in diesel overnight which helped a little the rest was just elbow grease with care

I was going to do a write up covering the whole procedure but as there`s already a few about if you search for them i didn't bother, but if you have any questions Danv6saxo ill be glad to answer them if i can

I do like the idea of removing the EGR altogether will look into that

You need an EGR replacing pipe like the one I have on my engine (see below) - Allards do them, along with a blanking kit to go on the other end of the EGR. :)

DSCN1562.jpg

From the looks of the oil in the silicon pipe work you'd be better off re-routing your CCV to a catch tank so it doesn't go back into the intake.

That's some ammount of cr@p in there Bill

Indeed it was Stu and that wasn't all of it, i think about a third again i had already thrown out this was just out of the manifold

I would of liked to have done the head side as well but only had a weekend to get it all stripped and done

But on a positive note after cleaning out the turbo it instantly got rid of the problem i came to see you about if you remember, the turbo veins had so little movement im surprised it was working at all

Turbo%20Before%201.jpgTurbo%20Before%202.jpgTurbo%20Cleaned%202.jpgTurbo%20Cleaned%203.jpgTurbo%20Cleaned%204.jpg

Turbo%20Cleaned%201.jpg

Well worth the effort and i would recommend anyone with a TDI thats a few years old to do the same if you have the know how, it was like driving a different car :thumbup:

You need an EGR replacing pipe like the one I have on my engine (see below) - Allards do them, along with a blanking kit to go on the other end of the EGR

If you don't mind me asking Jason how much in total was it to get that

Does it come as a complete kit (all you need) or is the blanking kit extra

Cheers

I cleaned my EGR and inlet manifold out a while back and the difference was amazing

Before cleaning pics

After cleaning

The crap that came out

I also took the time to clean out the turbo while i was at it which made even more difference to performance and got rid of limp mode at 3000 rpm

Carb cleaner didn't shift any of it so i soaked it in diesel overnight which helped a little the rest was just elbow grease with care

I was going to do a write up covering the whole procedure but as there`s already a few about if you search for them i didn't bother, but if you have any questions Danv6saxo ill be glad to answer them if i can

I do like the idea of removing the EGR altogether will look into that

How old was your car and how many miles when you cleaned it out. Just had mine serviced and it has a fault with the EGR, I'm just considering replacing it with the straight pipe from Allards but also considering getting the manifold cleaned at the same time.

had a Ford Galaxy at work the other week , PD115 engine , kept going into limp mode at 3k revs , it was a pig to get the turbo off , but worth it in the end as cleaning the VNT sorted the problem , and saved the dealership from having to buy a new turbo as per Ford Tech instructions :rolleyes:

might have to strip my EGR now to see how much sh!te is in it :(

Remember reading a post on tdiclub from a guy that changed his Turbo 3 times, he inspected the turbo after each time and it was gummed up...

Since he followed the advice of the Italian tune-up - changing gears at at least 3.5K rpm when warm (below 2K when warming up), he says that he's had minimal gumming up of his last turbo. Apparently the heat burns off the residue and cleans it - it's a problem more with granny drivers it seems...

How easy is it to remove the turbo once you've removed the manifold, EGR etc...

And will soaking the turbo in something like carb cleaner cause any problems? Don't mind taking it to bits as long as I don't damage it by doing so... :)

Remember reading a post on tdiclub from a guy that changed his Turbo 3 times, he inspected the turbo after each time and it was gummed up...

Since he followed the advice of the Italian tune-up - changing gears at at least 3.5K rpm when warm (below 2K when warming up), he says that he's had minimal gumming up of his last turbo. Apparently the heat burns off the residue and cleans it - it's a problem more with granny drivers it seems...

Thats very valid indeed Bas. I try to give it some welly atleast once a week (every 500 miles or so), just full throttle and about 4k rpm for a short while to blast the ****e out. :)