How do I find out my service regime

mr.nik

My new octy is just under a year old, and hasn't been serviced (bit of a drop off there, IMHO, from the skoda dealer - i would have thought it was good practice to service used cars - who knows how it's been driven...)

Anyway - how do I find out what service regime (fixed or variable) I am on? (i.e. which one the car is set to?)

thanks

nik

Do the following;-

1. Start the car

2. turn the ignition off ONE click only.

3. press the mileage trip button for 2 secs or more, and

4. release the button

The remaining miles/days to your next service will be displayed on your MFD/computer readout.

If the remaining days/miles are few then you will have it set on 'Fixed' regime - one year or 12,000 miles.

If the remaining miles plus those you have done, add up to around 18,000 and the remaining days are 365 or more then you will be on 'Variable' regime - 2 years and/or 18,000 miles plus/minus depending on driving style/typical journey.

OK?

There's a choice? How does this work? I'm picking up a new rVS in November, do I get to decide or is this something linked to service inclusive packages only? Please forgive my ignorance! ;)

There's a choice? How does this work? I'm picking up a new rVS in November, do I get to decide or is this something linked to service inclusive packages only? Please forgive my ignorance! ;)

YOU decide in discussion with your dealer; the appropriate regime then can be set during PDI.

AFAIK cars come from the Factory set to 'Variable' but some dealers may set to 'fixed' to keep their service departments in business.

Mine was set to variable when I got it last year, but because of the 3 year free servicing thing, I decided to get it changed to fixed, otherwise I willl have not qualified for it.

Mine was set to variable when I got it last year, but because of the 3 year free servicing thing, I decided to get it changed to fixed, otherwise I willl have not qualified for it.

That's a good point.. I don't have free servicing, but I have taken out a fixed cost maintenance plan, so they may require it to be on a certain regime (I guess variable woudl work out better for THEM, unless you cane the car to death.)

Do the following;-

1. Start the car

2. turn the ignition off ONE click only.

3. press the mileage trip button for 2 secs or more, and

4. release the button

The remaining miles/days to your next service will be displayed on your MFD/computer readout.

I just tried this and all that happened was I reset the trip mileage to zero!:confused: What did I do wrong?

I just tried this and all that happened was I reset the trip mileage to zero!:confused: What did I do wrong?

Turn the ignition all the way on to the point of starting the car (but dont start)

Then press and hold the mileage reset button in and wait until the display comes up.

Not sure if this is a Maxidot only function

I did this the first couple of times I tried.

Trick is, with the engine running, turn the key ONE CLICK only to stop the engine; not the usual two clicks you would do to then be able to take the key out.

Then press the trip button for 2-3 secs and release.

OK?

PS> It works with both Maxidot and standard display.

Turn the ignition all the way on to the point of starting the car (but dont start)

Then press and hold the mileage reset button in and wait until the display comes up.

Not sure if this is a Maxidot only function

:thumbup: Thanks Mater, I now know that I have 72 days to save up for my first service!

:thumbup: Thanks Mater, I now know that I have 72 days to save up for my first service!

So you must be on the 'fixed service' (one year/12,000 miles) regime.

Does this fit your driving pattern? If not then ask your dealer change to 'variable'. e.g. I do 18 -20,000 miles pa so am better on the variable. If I was on fixed I would need to visit my dealer every 7 months (not once a year).

Mine says I've 12500 miles or ~500 days. I've had it for 3 months and 3k miles.

It should be on annual (10k) servicing with the Solutions deal. Have they balls that up too?

Mine says I've 12500 miles or ~500 days. I've had it for 3 months and 3k miles.

It should be on annual (10k) servicing with the Solutions deal. Have they balls that up too?

That sounds like it is on 'Variable' BUT as far as I know it does not matter whether you are on a 'fixed' or 'variable' to qualify for the 'three year servicing' programme. Its just that you need to have the services done when required.

So you must be on the 'fixed service' (one year/12,000 miles) regime.

Does this fit your driving pattern? If not then ask your dealer change to 'variable'. e.g. I do 18 -20,000 miles pa so am better on the variable. If I was on fixed I would need to visit my dealer every 7 months (not once a year).

I have had the car 18 months (bought new) and only done 8,100 miles. The display actually said 72 days or 8,200 miles. I thought this meant whichever came sooner, so it must be set to 'variable service'. If it was on 'fixed' I should have had the first service 6 months ago!

Incidentally, does the 8,200 miles mean after another 8,200 miles (i.e. total 16,300) or when mileometer reaches 8,200 (i.e. next week)?:confused:

I have had the car 18 months (bought new) and only done 8,100 miles. The display actually said 72 days or 8,200 miles. I thought this meant whichever came sooner, so it must be set to 'variable service'. If it was on 'fixed' I should have had the first service 6 months ago!

Incidentally, does the 8,200 miles mean after another 8,200 miles (i.e. total 16,300) or when mileometer reaches 8,200 (i.e. next week)?:confused:

Sorry; I thought you had only had the car eight months or so. Yes; sounds like your set to variable.

Service is due IN 72 days OR 8,200 (16,300 total) which ever is sooner.

Just to confuse you; If you are only doing 5,000 to 5,500 miles a year I would have expected your dealer to have recommended being on the 'fixed' regime!

Hi folks

Can I ask a related question here?

I took delivery of my 13 month old 1.9TDi about 10 weeks ago. It had 14.5k on the clock and was serviced before I took delivery (Untrusting devil me! I checked the oil - it was lovely clear amber)

Now at 17.8k the service indicator is showing when I switch on the ignition telling me service in 700 miles or 276 days. That adds up to a mileage of 18.5k or exactly 2yrs old.

Is this a simple case of the service guy forgetting to reset the counter? :confused:

And if so should it be a quick simple "while you wait" job to sort it out?

Just to confuse you; If you are only doing 5,000 to 5,500 miles a year I would have expected your dealer to have recommended being on the 'fixed' regime!

I agree, but I don't think the salesman knew it could be changed. When I asked about the service interval he just told me that it was variable and the maxi-dot would tell me when a service was due. He knew I do a low annual mileage because he took my 8 year old Peugeot in PX with only 36K on the clock and he commented on the low mileage.

When I take it for service I will ask them to change to the fixed regime. Thanks for the advice:thumbup: